• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clear coat scratches due to waxing/polishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear coat scratches due to waxing/polishing

Hello everyone, I hope I'm not doing what I'm afraid that I"m doing and I'll ask you all to be sure. Is it possible to create scratches in your paint specifically in the paint's clear coat when applying and removing polish and wax?

If so what usually causes it? Is by applying too much wax or polish? Or is it wiping it off too hard or too fast? Also would using a microfiber with wax residue on it cause scratches? Just curious to see what you all do to prevent clear coat scratches while waxing and polishing.

Anyways, thank you all for your time.
    Strader327

Professional photographer and owner of STRADER Motorsports Photography

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Strad...41121349262327

Re: Clear coat scratches due to waxing/polishing

It shouldn't happen.

But things like a dirty towel, a poor quality or old towel, or excessive force/rubbing could conceivably cause scratching.

And yes, dried wax / polish residue may do it too.
    Originally posted by Blueline
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Thank you for the response. But I got another question. How do you know if you are using a good quality microfiber or not?

Let's see the kinds I normally use are a set I bought either at wally world or kmart. I think they come in a set of three.

The colors the three come in are yellow, lime green, and blue. I can't think of the band name and I don't think I can retrieve it since I ripped the tags off of them after I bought them.

But I normally use those for the initial work of removing the wax/polish/detailer and then for the final buff I'll use one of my Meguiars supreme shine microfibers. But if you all have any suggestions feel free to let me know. Thank you again for your time.
      Strader327

Comment

Oh here we go! I just did a quick search for the cloths and I think I found the brand name. I use Uber all purpose microfiber cloths. Here is what they look like.

Uber All Purpose Microfiber Towels Now in Blue, Green, and YellowSize 16x16This is our all purpose microfiber towel. This is great for door jambs, interior cleaning, even buffing! The "Uber" All Purpose Microfiber Towel is safe on glass, paint, clear coat, and any other surface. For general cleaning your car even in your home, you can't beat it.Pick up more and save more! Update:  Your favorite Uber All Purpose Towel now comes in different colors: Blue, Green, and Yellow. You can now color coordinate your uses for the Uber All Purpose Towels, use Yellow for interiors, Blue for polish and Green for jambs....you choose!  How to Care for MicrofiberTaking care of your microfiber products is pretty easy, there are just a few things that you should remember to keep your products effective and long lasting. You can wash and dry your microfiber products in your household washer and dryer, with warm water and low heat.To keep your microfiber "like new":* Do not use Bleach * Do not use Fabric Softener * Do not wash with other cotton products.Microfiber products do not like bleach, bleach breaks down the polyester and polyamide micro-filiments, rendering them less effective. Fabric softeners provide a layer of "softeness" on your clothing, which is nice for clothing that you wear, but this coating clogs the microfibers, rendering them less effective. It is not that microfiber products do not like cotton products or other fabrics, it is that when you wash your cotton products with microfiber the microfiber products grab and hold onto the lint that the cotton produces. So if you do not want your microfiber towels to lint then you should not wash them with cotton products.Some users of microfiber, automotive, janitorial, need a more effective way to remove dirt, grime, oils, and etc. from their microfiber towels, and Household detergents just don't do the job. Many users like to keep their microfibers in prestine condition, for this there is the original Micro-Restore Microfiber Detergent.

But as I said earlier I mainly use them for the initial "hard work" of removing the wax and so on. I then use the Meguiars supreme shine cloths for the final buff. But if you all see any problems with the uber cloths please call it to my attention. I may need to change brands or be more careful with them.

Also, how do you know if a microfiber towel is worn out enough to stop using it? I've had some of these for like three or four years now.
        Strader327

Comment

Hmm, not sure what you mean by 'hard work'.. but really working hard, and having to use a lot of pressure on the paint to remove something could lead to swirls.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Hello there, what I meant was the initial wax removal. Oddly enough, I do not have a problem with swirls, I've just have seen a few regular straight line scratches in the clear coat. They are something that is hard to see anyway.

You have be at the right angle and the right height and in the right amount of light in order to see them. I'm just aware of them and wonder how I can prevent any future clear coat scratches.
            Strader327

Comment

Those MF towels look fine to me but perhaps you should try changing to the Meguiars supreme shine cloths for both the initial wipe and the final buff, and see if that makes a difference..

How do you wash / dry your MF's?
              I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

I've done them different ways. In the past I let them soak in water and liquid detergent and then I would scrub out the stains and ring them out and let them air dry. But lately I've taken them to the local laundry mat and wash and dry them there. My folks won't let me use our home washer and dryer for them because they are afraid the wax/polish residue will clog up the ducts where the waste water leaves the washer.

But I will say in both scenarios, I never use fabric softener. I remember reading about that either here or somewhere else online a long time ago and since then I never use fabric softener. So that's a key thing right there.

But if you all have any other suggestions please feel free to let me know. Thanks again.
                Strader327

Comment

Sounds about right.

- Machine wash with a liquid detergent and no fabric softener
                  - Dry in the dryer on low heat.

I found that they turn out much softer in the dryer than if air dryed. Also high heat can burn/melt the fibers and cuse them to go hard and scratchy.

I'm starting to think you have soft paint..

Comment

You could be right, in fact my car's paint looks a lot like yours or the one you have listed as your avatar. It's almost that same shade of blue and has a very slick and wet look to it.

Here is a video I made of my car last year after I detailed it all the way.

Strader327

Comment

Car looks great!

That's not my car in my avatar. I have the same make/model but mine is black...

Comment

Well then, since it's the same make and model the paint might be similar. So in the case with your black car, is your car's black paint considered "soft paint"? Because if it is then it's very likely that mine is as well. But even if it isn't do you think it's best to treat the car's paint as if it is "soft paint"? Thanks again for your time.
                        Strader327

Comment

I wouldn't say my paint is soft. I generally need UC to get any decent correction out of it. I have marred / scratched it by being careless whlist QD'ing a couple of times, but nothing too major - especially for a black car, which will show everything up.

Now that I think of it, I think the proper term I was looking for (for your paint) is "delicate". I seem to recall a post by Michael Stoops explaining the difference between "delicate" and "soft" paint. If I recall correctly, it was something like:

Delicate = easily scratched / marred by touching the paint;
                          Soft = easily corrected.

So, as a worst case, you can have delicate paint, which is hard (easily scratched but hard to correct). Unfortunately many modern clear coats fall into this category.
                          Or, as a best case, you can have "undelicate" (is that a word?) paint which is soft (not easily scratched and easy to correct).

You can't assume that because my paint is hard/soft then yours will be too. That can vary even between cars of the same year/make/model and is something you can never tell until you try.

I think it would be best practice to always assume your paint is soft (I think you mean delicate) - better to be safe than sorry!

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');