• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendation for wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendation for wax

I’ve just finished the last of a tub of carnuba wax, so I need to get more wax. I’m wondering which of the ten choices here (no embedded links allowed, so here it is: http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/category/wax-protect) would be best for my car (2005 Toyota Sienna). The paint looks very good after a wash/wax—neither the clear coat nor underlying base coat are peeling, nor is there any obvious damage. I suppose my main priority here is trying to keep the paint as protected as possible, and secondarily, to keep it looking as shiny as possible. I live in the desert with a lot of sand and wind, and my cars typically lose that “just been washed” look after a couple of weeks.

As I said, I’ve been using carnuba wax. I’m pretty sure its been about a year since I last put wax on, and it had been a few months since I washed it, but I was shocked when the water first streamed down the van, how much wax there was still on it—there was a lot of beading, an awful lot more than I expected after so long. Was this due to using a carnuba wax? Perhaps I should stick with that type of wax.

At any rate, I also see on that page, both paste and liquid waxes. I’m not sure what the difference is—or the benefit of using one type over the other.

1. What would be the best Meguiar’s wax to use for my van?
    2. What benefit would there be in my using liquid over paste, or vice-versa?

Re: Recommendation for wax

What would be the best Meguiar’s wax to use for my van?
    Generally, a synthetic wax is most durable.

But you tend to get a bit more durability when the surface is at its best. So things like claying, using something like Cleaner/Wax or ColorX before the regular Wax also helps.

Or clay, then a paint cleaner (SwirlX or Ult. Polish would be mild ones), then two coats of regular wax, if you felt like that much effort.

What benefit would there be in my using liquid over paste, or vice-versa?
    Just preference.

Though paste can work well in a damp environment, but doesnt sound like an issue.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Is the Gold Class Carnuba Plus wax synthetic? It says it has "carnuba plus protective polymers" on the label itself. http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.do?q=4622#

Comment

Have you looked into the Ultimate Liquid Wax? It's synthetic, so it will last longer than your standard carnauba and doesn't stain trim. You can pick it up at any local retailer. If you're not sure about buying a full size bottle, the New Car Kit offers a small sample with other great items.

Comment

GOld Class Carnauba Plus is basically a carnauba wax with some polymers to help in the durability department because without the polymers, the Carnauba wax itself may go flat sooner. Even Deep Crystal Carnauba has some polymers in it. But it's not a synthetic wax.

Comment

Double post... Ultimate Wax is definitely the most durable synthetic wax from meguiars, if you do plan to get one, get the paste. Although meguiars liquid and paste waxes offer the same durability and shine, if you read up on experiences on the liquid, there have been a couple of issues with it. Nothing major really, but the paste applies more like a traditional wax, while the liquid requires just a bit of adjustment to how it is applied and removed. A big advantage the Ultimate Liquid has is that i doesn't stain trim, unlike the paste

Comment

OK the waxes I'm looking at here are priced 8, 15, and 28 bucks (Deep Crystal Carnuba, Gold Class Carnuba Plus, and Ultimate Wax). I'm wondering what the additional value in the more expensive brands are.

Durability has been mentioned. So that means that I can go longer without waxing if I buy the more expensive kinds?

Comment

I would tend to say follow the same schedule, but get better protection during that time.

As mentioned above, the New Car Kit is a great way to get a sample of the Ult. Wax.

Another good way to keep things protected (and get some longer life) is to use a spray wax like the Ult. Quick Wax or Gold Class Spray Wax after future washes.
                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

i strongly recommend the ultimate wax, some of the additional cost is due to the package including a foam applicator and a black microfiber towel.
                  i stand by ultimate wax, extreme durability and is very safe to use, easy to use in liquid too, i have personaly never had rouble removing it... to avoid that problem entirely, start with a small amount... or use the ultimate detailing cloth to remove, works excellent.

if you really like the look of your carnauba then use both, just be sure to put the synthetic down first. then you will get the best protection, depth and shine, especially with dark vehicles.
                  Murr1525 has excellent advice aswell, the cleaner the surface the better the protection.

Comment

UPW gets my vote!

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
                    "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

Its not necessarily that I like the "look" of the carnuba. I have also just applied Meguiar's cleaner wax (liquid) and the paint looks just as shiny. I was just mentioning the carnuba, b/c I was thinking that it had lasted a heck of a long time, which I respect.... but if the gold class or the ultimate wax are going to be better for the paint, then over the long run a few extra bucks for wax over the next couple of years really isn't too much to ask.

I'm just wondering how much better the paint would be kept, with gold class or ultimate, over the basic carnuba that Meguiar's sells, that's all...

Comment

I use so little Ultimate Paste Wax with each application that I expect the can to last several years (3 cars waxed 3 or 4 times a year).
                        2016 Acura ILX

Comment

I have been reading different threads here dealing with this issue. From what I've understood, the Gold Class brings out the color better, but the Ultimate Wax lasts longer and looks shinier. Is this an accurate description of the difference?

Also, my van is a sandstone, light greenish tan. I hate to say this, but I'm not sure if it would be considered a dark or light color.

Comment

Originally posted by prr View Post
                            I have been reading different threads here dealing with this issue. From what I've understood, the Gold Class brings out the color better, but the Ultimate Wax lasts longer and looks shinier. Is this an accurate description of the difference?

Also, my van is a sandstone, light greenish tan. I hate to say this, but I'm not sure if it would be considered a dark or light color.

Well, that is the recommendations for certain colors and certain needs for different people. You don't really have to follow the recommendations. Sometimes, trying to go the different route can yield great results. Anyway, majority of how a paint will look (light, medium, dark or warm shade) depends on how well it's been prepped. The difference between Gold Class, NXT 2.0 or ultimate may be very minor if not impossible to tell. It will be very subtle, but a good wax will bring out the depth, shine and metallic flake of the paint..

If you're not too sure if it's light or dark, I'd just go with Ultimate. It darkens better than NXT 2.0, comes close to Gold Class in darkening ability, has the crispest reflections and is the most durability.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');