• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Compound - don't know if the paint is fresh or cured

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate Compound - don't know if the paint is fresh or cured

Hello, I'm planning to detail a BMW 1 series. It's second hand, just imported from other country, the new owner bought the car just a few days ago. We agreed on a detail this weekend. I discovered that almost the whole car has been repainted.

1. The problem is that I don’t know when the paint job was done – I don’t know if the paint is fresh or cured. I was planning to use Ultimate compound for correction. Could anything go wrong – due to fact stated above there is possibility, that the paint is potentially less than 1 month old. I believe the paint could not be less than a week old though.

2. Since the car has been repainted, the values of PTG measuring are higher than usual. Can anybody give me a just a little tip how much level of correction I can afford. (Planning to work with UC on 7” yellow polishing pad or maybe 6” microfiber cutting disc. Thanks!

Re: Ultimate Compound - don't know if the paint is fresh or cured

1. UC would be fresh paint safe. Of course he paint may be softer, so could leave some marring perhaps, and need a milder follow up.

2. Not sure, but UC wont remove much, assuming you are moving the buffer around, etc, not focusing on one small spot.

The main thing would be that you dont want to wax the paint for 30 - 90 days.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thanks Murr for quick reply!
      I didn't know that UC is body shop safe.If I'll need a milder follow up I'll go for M205 (I also have SwirlX - but if I remember this one is not body shop safe).

Comment

UC may not be body shop safe. But you arent in a body shop now.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I've done some more searching and found this thread Body Shop Safe or Not?
          Ultimate Compound is marked as "paintable", SwirlX "non paintable". I can hit it now without bad feeling. Thanks for help!

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');