• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got a DA polisher, recommendations on pads/product?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got a DA polisher, recommendations on pads/product?

Pictures - most of the clouding goes away with a fresh coat of wax, but I haven't gotten to that in a little over a month. Even then it doesn't look as good as I would like it to be.

I asked for help here a few months ago about this car and did the McGuire's Paint Restoration Kit by hand.

Finally got the Groit's Polisher a few weeks ago and need some advise on what pads and product to use.

Also, what product and steps would you guys recommend for deep scratches? It definitely needs some touchup paint near the tail light.

I assume I'll have to clay bar the car again? The paint is 22 years old at most (I think it had a respray at some point, maybe), if that needs to be kept in mind. Also, I'm trying to keep the cost down..

Re: Just got a DA polisher, recommendations on pads/product?

To learn the tool, I would highly suggest buying both Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish to start. Use the UC with a W8207 Polishing pad and the UP with a W9207 Finishing pad. Of course you need to use the proper backing plate - the W68DA that will match perfectly for your Softbuff 2.0 pads.

For deep scratches, can you feel it with your fingernail? I'm assuming so because you said you need touch up. You will need to have it filled with touch up paint or have it re-sprayed. Polishing will not fix that problem.

Here's a great article on how to properly use your new dual action polisher and how to use the products recommended:
    D/A Buffing 101 - An Introduction to the G110v2 (and similar)

When was the last time you clayed your car? Does the paint surface feel smooth? If it does then you don't need to clay but if it's rough then claying is highly recommended.
    2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');