• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wet sanding problem :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet sanding problem :(

Hey there guys.
    Now just to let you guys know i am a complete noob when it comes to vehicle detailing. Im also a poor university student who cannot afford high priced gears etc.

I wet sanded my bonnet and doors with 1000 grit sandpaper and now its left with little scratch marks everywhere. How can i get rid of them? I did some research and they recommend sanding it down again with higher grit? But from where i live 1000grit was the highest i could find o_O. Where can i go to find even higher grit paper?(Based in NZ).

After wet sanding with the sandpaper(Norton 1000grit) and discovering the scratches i applied some Mother pure polish on it to see if it makes it better but still the same ..

Not sure if you guys can see properly but there is scratches everywhere now .

Any advice or tips would be great!!

Thanks
    Danny

Re: Wet sanding problem

Online would be the obvious thought. You might do a search on a automotive paint supplier in your area and be able to get what you need there. How are you working on the paint to remove the sanding scratches ( by hand or buffer )? After sanding you should be using a compound first and then use a polish. When sanding, are you using a sanding aid ( rubber or foam device to support the paper )? http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.do?q=4710 http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...G+UNIGRIT+1000 I hope these thoughts help.
    BMW ZSCCA Area Rep SoCal

Comment

Re: Wet sanding problem

You used to course of a sanding paper . You need to go over it with 1500 , then 2000 . This will get rid of the 1000 sanding marks . Remember to use a sanding block , not just your hand , It will leave a uneven finish on the surface called ( raking ) . Then you need a medium grit compound and then polish . Be careful of the edges , you don't want to go threw them . Good luck and take your time .

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');