• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 GTI plasti dip job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 GTI plasti dip job

Hey Everyone this isnt really a detailing job however its car appearance related and I think its a pretty cool product. One of my customers was looking to have a vinyl wrap done on his car but I have been playing with plastidip on my wheels and motorcycle so I suggested that we do that since I have some painting experience and enjoy it. My customer bought the kit and I offered to install it for him so that I can get some more practice with the product. we did a clear matte finish on her, Here is how it went
    Before pic just after a wash

All Masked off

Grilles

Finished product

Even the best cars look like junk when they are not clean

Re: 2012 GTI plasti dip job

That actually looks really good.

How did you apply it? So he can remove it anytime he wants? How durable is it?
    Originally posted by Blueline
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

I applied it with a gun that they provided with the kit basically a home sprayer but since its a liquid rubber it dries very smooth. and yeah if you break the dip you can peel it right off I didn't even mask the headlights or taillights because of how easy it is to remove. its supposed to last for 3 years without any touch up and it can go through washes and everything however i'm sure an impact would screw it up but that would screw up the paint as well.

Comment

wow that looks really good.
        Nice job

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Very nice! I plasti-dipped my beater flat black and it turned out great! So did you just apply a matte clear over the existing paint?
            Brian's Custom Detailing
            Where detail matters.
            www.brianscustomdetailing.com

Comment

Here's a link with some info

I think I will be dipping my roofs black!
              "STRIFE" aka Phil
              2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (IP/ aka White) the Toy
              2011 Subaru Impreza (SWP/ aka White) the DD
              2017 Subaru Forester (CWP/ aka White) Wifey's

Comment

Yeah I just prepped the paint (washed/stripped wax and applied it right over the top, about 6 coats so it will peel nicely when its time for removal.

Comment

I Plasti-Dipped my wheels and emblems on my 2007 Chevy Equinox back in July and have not had to touch them up at all. How long did it take to do the whole car?

Comment

It took about 15 hrs total but It was chilly so it took a while for each coat to dry and washing drying and masking took the first 5hrs

Comment

it's a fantastic product. I used it to do part of the rear decklid on my mustang. Looks great, easy to work with.
                      2004 Mustang GT - Sonic Blue

Comment

But maintenance-wise? I
                        Arctic Detailing - Northern Norway
                        Facebook site http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...12239962147393

1996´AUDI S6 AVANT QUATTRO
                        00`S6 tip 92´S4q, 97´S6q, 97´A4q, 02´A4q, 76´ Audi50

Comment

Originally posted by Joenok View Post
                          But maintenance-wise? I
                          Ah, sometimes the rest of my sentences dissapear if i use sertain signs of text. What I was trying to write

I plastidipped the rims of my previous car along with with front grilles and stuff. On the grilles it is never heavy soiled, but on the wheels i had a rough time keeping them black, due to mainly brakedust. I used Bilt Hamber Surfex, which is a great product, but in the end the coating turned brownish.
                          How do people wash an entire vehicle? Snow foam wash? I found that nechanical washing and drying was hard to pull through

Nice work, by the way. It is not quite as easy at sounds like, looks like you did a great job.
                          Arctic Detailing - Northern Norway
                          Facebook site http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...12239962147393

1996´AUDI S6 AVANT QUATTRO
                          00`S6 tip 92´S4q, 97´S6q, 97´A4q, 02´A4q, 76´ Audi50

Comment

Looks nice.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');