• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Burn marks from a rotary sander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burn marks from a rotary sander

I did a job today that should have taken no more than an hour tops. Both lenses had burn marks from a previous job that I was apprehensive to take on to correct. I explained to the dealer my concerns and he pointed out one small spot (size of a dime) that he would like removed. I figured I would have to go down to 320, 500, 800, 1500, etc. to get rid of it. Big mistake. 2 hours and 6 pads later, not only were they not gone but I had also created others in the process. I have sanded them out with what I had left in grit, and although I could not finish it up, there was some progress in getting rid of them. I will have to return in a couple of days after some more supplies come in.

Rotary sander, approximately 1800 rpm's, constant water being sprayed as I sanded, 3" Maguires sanding and polishing disc's. Short of going through 6-10 more disc's and another hour, is there any other technique I can use to get rid of these buggers? I wish I had some pics and at worst I could go back to the dealer to get some.

Definitely last time I will agree to take on someone else's mistake. Do not have a DA right now but will get one from Santa hopefully.

Any idea's would gladly appreciated. Thanks all.

Re: Burn marks from a rotary sander

In a situation like this I would try to go over the problem by hand. I know that this an old post, but in my experience using M105 by hand or scratchX can do wonders on a headlight. At this point in the future after you had sanded the finish I would sand the finish of the headlight with 2500 or 3000 to get a uniform cut with Meguiars unigrit and then try polishing out those marks. On a few different clear coat finishes I have used scratch to completely remove meguiars unigrit 2500 after 6-8 passes by hand with a microfiber cloth. I hope you were able to correct the problem.
    JB's Executive Detailing "Protecting your investment"

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');