• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XPEL Ultimate or 3M Paint Film Anyone tried it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XPEL Ultimate or 3M Paint Film Anyone tried it

I was curious to if anyone on the board has tried these products for the hood/bumper protection from flying rocks etc. Most times if any part of the car is going to get hit its the hood and front bumper area. I have seen this film applied to a lot of high end vehicles in this area. Im just not sure how I will feel about seeing the "line" where the protection starts and stops but at the same time in a few years it might be nice for my car to not look like it has been sandblasted either.

I know most of you are as "car crazy" as I am just wanted to know your thoughts on these products as I am considering the Xpel Ultimate for our new CR-V The self healing portion of this film intrigues me.

Re: XPEL Ultimate or 3M Paint Film Anyone tried it

I had the 3M film applied to my 2009 Ranger within days of taking delivery. On my previous trucks I'd always gone with a PTM bug deflector, but this time I wanted something that maintained the "stock" look of the truck but still provided protection.

I've never really had an issue with seeing the "line" of the film; obviously it depends a lot on the colour of the vehicle - from most angles you don't even notice it. From a protection standpoint, I've had a couple of larger stones hit the film and actually cut a small spot in the film however the paint underneath was untouched.

You just have to be careful when you're washing the vehicle, myself I always try to run my mitt from the film onto the paint so that I don't drag dirt into the film's edge. Just make sure that you find a reputable installer and you shouldn't have any issues.

Comment

I'm not familiar with those particular paint protection films, but have some comments about the use of film. I've read of folks covering most of their car with film and that seems a bit extreme. Partial coverage including bumper, hood and mirrors is pretty typical with the fenders thrown in ocassionally. You need to compare the cost of film versus having that part repainted. Just remember you can always replace film too.

As a point of reference, I have an obsidian black car and the lower half film on the hood is provided routinely by the dealership. I've had one installed "factory" and two installed by the dealership. As you indicate, with half a hood you can see the line at mid-hood. Light colored cars you can hardly see the edge. If you stay away from the line when cleaning, polishing or waxing the line is barely visible from 10 feet. Whenever I work on the hood I tape the edge of the film to protect it. Doing a hood I would suggest the full hood and wrap the film over and around the edge. Invariably you'll get a paint chip right at the edge of film, if you don't wrap it. I would do a full bumper too, although you'll have plenty of edges of film unless your installer does a great job around lights, parking sensors, headlight washers, etc, etc. Mirrors get clobbered so film on them is a given.

Films will get damaged too and sometimes this is as difficult to fix as damage to the paint. I've damaged my film by wiping it wrong with a towel. There are films that have a thin clear coat that is buffable to a minor extent. Self healing maybe helpful to have the minor damage from bugs and rocks disappear.

Look for a good installer with some references you can check. When you get it installed, ask what products are recommended to care for the film. Some products may yellow the film.

Now if we can hear from some other folks, you can get a good feel for whether to film or not!! Did I mention the dealer needed to redo one of his installs because I reject the installation...

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      David

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. The cost to do the bumper, nose of the hood, rear view mirrors and fenders is 645.00. I really only want the hood and front bumper done. on my 09 scion the only place that have any paint pings are the nose of the hood mostly, and the bumper. Windshield of course has taken some glancing blows but that is to be expected. Still seems like a lot of money.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');