• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eliminator Boat Hazing and Swirls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eliminator Boat Hazing and Swirls

Hello Fellow Meguiars Enthusiasts!
    I have a late 2008 build Eliminator 250 step V. Overall the boat is in great shape and I was the original purchaser. Ever since I purchased the boat I have used only Meguiars products. My problem is I have swirls in the colored portion of the gel coat (meaning all the stripes and designs) and the plain white gel coat finish has hazing. The following is my current methods:
    1) Wash and clean boat with Meguiars boat wash and water sport remover fully clean the boat, etc.
    2) Makita Rotary Yellow Polishing Pad and #44 Color Restorer.
    3) Cyclo Polisher with foam polishing pads and #45 Polish
    4) Cyclo fine foam pads and Flagship Marine wax or #56 Pure Wax

I have also tried this one step method:
    1) Rotary Wax with yellow Polishing pad and #50 Cleaner Wax.

I have a PC DA polisher, similar to the meguiars one, but I have not used it because the pads always fly off?
    The pictures are close ups of the center section of the Cuddy of the boat in the middle section.
    The first purple gel coat is before I did any polishing the second dark picture is after I polished it as mentioned above.
    The white picture is after the above 4 steps but the finish became dull and hazy. I do not like that look.

Thank you for the help!
    [IMG]/Users/burrows/Desktop/IMG_7486.JPG[/IMG]
    [IMG]/Users/burrows/Desktop/IMG_7491.JPG[/IMG]
    [IMG]/Users/burrows/Desktop/IMG_7492.JPG[/IMG]
    JB's Executive Detailing "Protecting your investment"

Re: Eliminator Boat Hazing and Swirls

I was unable to post the pictures, I think my rep power is too low. If someone can help me get the pictures posted it will greatly benefit this thread. Thanks!

Comment

You want to upload the pictures to your gallery here, then insert the link to the picture.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I would try a product called buff magic for your gel coat we use it frequently in my detail business for boats and rvs. Its a diminishing polish and will get you great results. Im not downing megs or anything but if you want the best results try this stuff out and finish with a megs wax or their propolish(cleaner wax) you will not be dissapointed.
        Even the best cars look like junk when they are not clean

Comment

Hi Everyone,
          I just uploaded the pictures. Here is the link. I used all the steps I mentioned below. My biggest concern is the hazing on the white part of the gel coat. I want it to be clear adn white, not hazy. Also, the swirls on the purple are a real bear. I appreciate the help and suggestions so far!
          If the link does NOT work, you can look up Eliminator 250 eagle in the gallery, you should find the 3 pictures. Thank you!

Comment

That last pic looks a bit like holograms... Can you say bit more about how you are using the rotary? How does it look after just the rotary step?

Are the stripes painted on.. not decals or anything?

Comment

Here's your pics.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Hazing is micro marring, you have to polish this out with a fine polish and not a cutting compound.
                Myself, I've never fully corrected a gel coat but I would find a polish and start there. M205 might work but that might not be your best option.
                As far as your pad flying off. You have the wrong backing plat/pad combo.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Hi PWM Detailing,
                  Thank you for you reply. Do you think a polishing pad and DA or Polishing Pad and Rotary and M205 would do the trick? I guess I could start with DA and move to rotary. Is micro marring also caused by heat? Thank you for your help and posting my pics!
                  JB

Comment

soft buff yellow pad might do the trick. I also would try a Maroon pad as it will cut more. try both.
                    Also remember to use the least aggressive method and do a test spot.
                    Meg's has a complete line of Marine/gel coat polish/wax.
                    I would defiantly invest into some proper product. When ever I do a job I've never done before I'll purchase product specifically made for the job and start there.
                    I wish I could help more but like I stated I've never fully corrected Gel Coat.
                    What city are you in?

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Well, the issue is if that is swirling that is already there that is not being removed (so too mild of a product / pad / machine), or marring (so too aggressive of a pad/ product/ machine), assuming that technique was at least good for both.

What happens if you just do one step on a test spot? Like just the Cyclo and #44 on a polishing pad would be good?

Comment

Hi, the boat is 100% gel coat, the stripes and colors are actually part of the gel coat or paint. I called Eliminator and told me the areas of white are pre gel coat and the colored areas (purple with holograms) has a clear coat and is more similar to vehicle paint? I will try DA 5 speed yellow polishing and #44 color restorer and then to M45 polish before I hand wax with flagship. What new products do you recommend I purchase to do the job?

Comment

Hello PWM Detialing,
                          I am located in Covina CA. The boat is located at my place in Arizona, I am tempted to have a pro come out and give it a buff... I spend about 1 12 hour day polishing the boat inside and out with Meguiars and the steps mentioned every spring before the season starts with 3 guys on it. I follow up with washes and Meguiars Flagship Quick wax. Do you think Wet sanding would be in order? I want to try to use the CYCLO if possible. Should I ditch the Makita rotary at this point and go only DA? When I called Meguiars Tech ( No offense to their expertise and professionalism) they did not seem to be able to give me clear answers. I think my technique could be bad or the products/ pad combo is incorrect. I wonder if I took the boat down for an open day at Meguiars Saturday class if they could help me out? Thanks for everyone's input so far!

Comment

For the CC just treat it like paint.
                            I like the Flagship wax, but I'd use a DA to apply it. Just to make sure it gets worked into the paint better then by hand

and here is what Mike Phillips say about 44 & 45

Just to make sure, are you using,

M44 Color Restore - A product used to remove oxidation

Or

M45 Boat/RV Polish - A product used to restore gloss to a finish in great shape to start with.

If you're trying to clean the gel coat on your boat, for example remove old wax, remove oxidation, staining etc, then if you're using M45, you're getting all of your cleaning action from the wool pad, not the product and this may not be the right approach depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

I will be out at the Lake in the week or so. I will try a test spot and see what happens... I will try several different combos and see whats best. If I still have the problem, I will let you all know. Are there any Mirror Glaze products that could work on the Gel Coat? Maybe #80 or M205?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');