• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Body Solvent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Solvent

I did two details last weekend, one of which the owner was especially happy I was able to get off all of the bonded tar in the wheel wells and around the bottom of the body behind the wheel wells. However, In order to do this I had to use gasoline as a solvent. While the gas worked fine and got all of the tar off, I'd prefer not to do it again if possible. So I decided to look around online and see if Meg's had any products available to solve the problem, one being the professional body solvent. Does anybody know enough about this to comment on how well it works? I'm sure it's a great product just wanted to see if there were any people that have it or have recently used it. Thanks.
    Jason
    2004 Jetta GLS 1.8T

I have some and I think its nice, but it isnt super strong. It has been said that to make it VOC compliant you must leave it on the paint much longer in order for it to work. I havent tried gasoline my self, but this probably wont be as strong.

I think you can buy 32oz of it from autodetailingsolutions.com if you want to try out a little bit.

Hope this helps

Comment

Thanks dcswd, that's just the kind of feedback I was looking for. I was looking for something somewhat strong so I'm thinking this may not be the best option. I appreciate the first hand feedback.
      Jason
      2004 Jetta GLS 1.8T

Comment

Don't spend your money, I went through a gallon jug and couldn't wait to get rid of this stuff. I am a Meguiar's man but this product has no cleaning ability. I am sorry to break it to you, would you like me to be more gentle next time?
        "Washing for the People"

Comment

Try Mineral Spirits next time.
          "Washing for the People"

Comment

I've had good success with Wurth Clean-Solve. Works fast!

"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by AutoNova
              Don't spend your money, I went through a gallon jug and couldn't wait to get rid of this stuff. I am a Meguiar's man but this product has no cleaning ability. I am sorry to break it to you, would you like me to be more gentle next time?
              I too purchased Body Solvent, but it didn't remove road tar when I used.
              It cleans bugs ok, as long as you give enough time to soften dead bugs.
              03 MINI BRG/BLK CVT - SOLD | 08 Black WRX - FAST!

Comment

It takes awhile to work. If your used to gas or something else you wont like body solvent.
                Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

I was watching Overhaulin and on one of their "tip" commercials, they said to use peanut butter to remove tar, seems kinda messy tho...

Comment

I used some turpentine then immediately washed the area with NXT wash, then hosed down.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');