• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water Magnet Drying Towel X-2000 ~ Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Magnet Drying Towel X-2000 ~ Review

I have used Meguiars Water Magnet Drying Towel 4-5 times now and here is what I think.

First Impressions:
    They are packaged in some simple cardboard, and it serves its purpose.

When I first opened the towel up I was concerned that it was a little small for the intended purpose. Its soft, rather thick and seems like a high quality product.

Application/Use:
    After each was with Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner I ran my hose without a nozzle to help sheet the water off. Then I moved on to the towel to dry.

Microfiber Drying Towel Comparison:
    I have a waffle weave towel from another online retailer. Comparing the two, the Meguiars towels is smaller in size but I have found that to mean nothing. Meguiars towel is much thicker and has a better looking stitch around the edges.

Meguiars towel absorbs far MORE water than my other WW towel. Yes its smaller but I have found it to be a much more absorbent towel, maybe due to the thickness.

The other "guys towel" will run out of absorbing power sooner than the Meguiars towel.

LEFT: Meguiars Water Magnet ~ RIGHT: "other guys" waffle weave

Overall Impression:
    The Water Magnet Drying Towel is a great towel. Priced very well compared to my "other guys" $15 towel.

On its first use there was some lint left behind, I washed it once with Woolite and it held up just fine. I used it again after the wash, the second time around the lint was eliminated. It will be going in for its 4th or 5th wash now and there is no complaints with quality.

Only thing that I don't like about the towel is when it gets saturated with water, it tends to smear the water rather than absorb it and dry the vehicle. My "other guys" WW towel does the same thing so I am guessing that its a characteristic of WW towels. Even when wrung out it has just a little trouble absorbing the water.

I have found the Meguiars towel is just about the right size to dry my truck with out smearing the water or wringing out, they will absorb a lot of water but... but you should always have two on had just in case you drop one or need a little more drying power.

This is "my" drying towel!

Two

Brandon
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

gb,

Nice review! I agree, this is a very nice WW towel... especially given the price!
    Boss_429

Comment

Nice review. I have been thinking of giving one of these a try but was always worried about there smaller than normal size.

Thanks for the nice review.

Comment

I've found that the WW towel is hard to use after it's saturated. It seems that I can't squeeze enough water out of it to make it stop spreading the water instead of absorbing. From the reviews I've read, it sounds like the best plan of attack with this towel is a 2 towel (or 1 WW and one Supreme Shine Microfiber as I do it) approach.
        1999 Ford Contour SVT
        Silver Frost/Midnite Blue
        1966/2760

Comment

I think that for the average size vehicle, this towels size and function will fit the bill.

I have used only one other make of waffle weave towels and have always been happy with it. It is larger than the Meguiar's towel, but I'm please to say that size is not everything.

This Meguiar's towel is extremely soft, absorbant and well made.

I decided not to use the sheet method of rinsing to really put it to the test. It would be fair to say that it removed 85% of the water before I needed to wring it out.

After a good wringing, it performed well, yes it did leave some minor water drops behind but they were very small and actually darn near evaporated within a minute or so.

Had I used the sheet method of rinsing, I am pretty confident the whole car would have been dried without having to wring out the towel. Next time around, I will do this and confirm.

Another great Meguiar's product that puts excellent results within easy reach.

My Dad said once..."Son...you can never do enough for a good customer!" I Said "Don't worry Dad...I won't"!

Hehehehe

Comment

Does the Water Magnet towel need to be washed after each use?
            r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
              Does the Water Magnet towel need to be washed after each use?
              Not sure that is needs to be, but for the most part I wash them just in case there is some contaminates in the towel that may scratch the paint on the second dry.

When I only had one towel I used it 2-3 times before a wash with no problems. The towel is still soft and ready to dry even if it doesn't get washed just look it over before its use. They do loose their soft feel after a couple drys, could be the water where I live.
              Brandon

Comment

I now have three of these things and they are well worth every penny... They continue to perform over and over, I would recommend them to anyone.

This is still my favorite way to dry a vehicle!

Brandon

Comment

A question I have about washing the Water Magnet. I just purchased 3 of them and would like to wash them prior to using them. I plan to wash the Water Magnet towels with Tide in warm water and let them air dry. Do these towels need to be washed by themselves or can I wash them with Micro fiber Towels.

I am concerned that the Micro Fiber towels will pick up anything (Lint?) that comes off of the Water Magnet towel if washed together or vice versa.

Thanks

Comment

The water magnet is microfiber, just made differently. You can whash them with your other MF towels. I always do that along with my foam applicators. Your plan in how to wash them is good. You can't go wrong; just don't mix MF towels with cotton towels. If you do that, you will have a lot of cotton lint in your MF towels. One more thing, DO NOT use fabric softener when washing your MF towels.
                    Cheers!
                    Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!

Comment

Originally posted by romulus
                      The water magnet is microfiber, just made differently. You can whash them with your other MF towels. I always do that along with my foam applicators. Your plan in how to wash them is good. You can't go wrong; just don't mix MF towels with cotton towels. If you do that, you will have a lot of cotton lint in your MF towels. One more thing, DO NOT use fabric softener when washing your MF towels.
                      Cheers!
                      I know I hark on this a lot, but a good way to remove all soap residue is to use white vinegar in the final rinse...........Hand or machine washing.

The old folks used to use it for a fabric softner of sorts.
                      r. b.

Comment

Romulus and Rusty Bumper

Thanks to the replies to my question. I will wash all of my Micro fiber and Waffle weave towels in one load along with my foam applicators.

One additional question though, how much white vinegar do I need to add to the final rinse? Typicially I use a medium size load setting when I wash the towels.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

I would guess half to one cup. I don't really know since I haven't try it.
                          Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!

Comment

Originally posted by Twisterspecial
                            One additional question though, how much white vinegar do I need to add to the final rinse? Typicially I use a medium size load setting when I wash the towels.

Thanks in advance.
                            I just measured the amount of volume in the washing machine fabric softener dispenser, and it measures out to 1/2 cup.

1/4 to 1/2 cup should be sufficient to add to the rinse water with a medium load.

If I'm hand washing items at the sink, I don't even measure the vinegar when I add it to the rinse water.

To see how efficient white vinegar works, just get some Tide (or your brand of detergent) residue on your hands and try to rinse it off in plain water......If you're like me, the Tide makes your hands slick and it's hard to get it rinsed off.......Until you add the vinegar to the rinse water, or your hands.......After that, you can't feel that slick feeling any more, as the vinegar has cut through all of that gunk.

I found that vinegar works very well to clean up slimy stuff on my aquarium filters & such too. ..........Just don't get it in the tank.
                            Last edited by rusty bumper; Jul 28, 2005, 09:37 AM.
                            r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper

I found that vinegar works very well to clean up slimy stuff on my aquarium filters & such too. ..........Just don't get it in the tank.
                              Just a quick OT.... Saltwater or Freshwater? My G/F is has a small 30 gallon SW about 9 months now still fun, she is waiting to move up once college is done another year.
                              Brandon

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');