• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heavy Duty Headlight Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy Duty Headlight Restoration

Anything I absolutely must know before tackling my first headlight restoration. Looks 100% straight forward just don't know if there is a list of Do's and Don'ts. I think I have watched just about every video available on using this.

Re: Heavy Duty Headlight Restoration

Tape, sand, 500/800/1000/2000/3000 grit.
    polish with a compound.
    Paint with Headlight Restore.
    Yes it's very easy. Haven't had a problem yet.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Originally posted by Please Wash Me Detailing View Post
      Tape, sand, 500/800/1000/2000/3000 grit.
      polish with a compound.
      Paint with Headlight Restore.
      Yes it's very easy. Haven't had a problem yet.
      Was going with Megs kit which I believe has only 1000 and 3000.
      Shouldn't be an issue though.

The lights I will be working on have good spots and bad spots not uniform like most lights in the video. Not sure if I should approach full light still or just issue area when it comes to sanding and polishing.
      Will try to get together photos if I can.

Comment

Oh, ok.
        well you might beable to get away with a compound. M105 is what I use for quickie/no charge jobs.
        Do you have the heavy duty kit?
        This should be fine.
        post some pics and I'll give you my opinion.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Originally posted by s word View Post
          Anything I absolutely must know before tackling my first headlight restoration. Looks 100% straight forward just don't know if there is a list of Do's and Don'ts. I think I have watched just about every video available on using this.
          Make sure you watched this one: Meguiar's Quik Tips Video Series - Restoring Neglected Headlights

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. The vehicle owner was very satisfied with the result. The headlights were ruining a very nice car. I would feel the job incomplete without fixing them.

Below was all completed using Meguiars Heavy Duty Headlight Restoration Kit.
            Thumbs up to Megs on this one.

The oxidation was much less transparent than it appears in the photos but I think you will get the idea.

Very cloudy at the top
            Thick bar running in middle
            Light hazing on bottom

[IMG][/IMG]

Closeup showing hazing, you could not see the bulb with bare eye
            [IMG][/IMG]

Thicker oxidation bar running across middle, upper light hazing
            [IMG][/IMG]

Brand NEW!
            [IMG][/IMG]

There is the bulb.
            [IMG][/IMG]

Thick oxidation gone.
            [IMG][/IMG]

Meguiars circular pad didn't fit in the corner. So I worked this area by hand.
            [IMG][/IMG]

Other headlight pretty much had uniform hazing. Was also corrected.
            Let me know what you think.

Also for anyone on the fence about doing this, get the masking right and this fix is easier to perform than any paint correction I have ever done. And results!

Comment

Nice job! What kind of protection did you put on it?
              You really need to get some Headlight Renew Dr. if you want to do this professionally.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Originally posted by Please Wash Me Detailing View Post
                Nice job! What kind of protection did you put on it?
                You really need to get some Headlight Renew Dr. if you want to do this professionally.
                http://headlightrenewdoctor.com/Products.php
                Meguiar's Heavy Duty kit comes with their own headlight protection solution. I believe it is just called Headlight Protectant.
                This is my first headlight set to tackle and I know a few more customers that want it done. I appreciate the product suggestion.

For now I will wait and check the durability of the current fix. I work on this car 3-4 times a year so it will be easy for me to check up.
                If I see the need for a professional kit in the future I will check out headlight renew dr.
                And I am far from professional, just an enthusiast that likes to see clean cars on the road.

Comment

Just including the headlights when you cleaner/polish the paint, then doing some kind of potetant after should maintain them well.
                  2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                    Just including the headlights when you cleaner/polish the paint, then doing some kind of potetant after should maintain them well.
                    Can they get the same protection as paint too ie Sealant or Wax?
                    Or should I use the specific item?

I know there are rumors about wax dulling the light or turning it yellow. But I think that is common misconception because to me it looked like oxidation which was then yellowed due to UV light reaction or a mixture of the two.

Comment

Well, I'd use the Headlight Protectant if I had it.... or just wax if I didnt.

No idea on how actual durability compares, but just doing it regularly should keep it from being an issue.

What the light actualy had was the UV coating failing (the line that looked like clear coat failure across the middle), and then the part above without the coating oxidized. So you removed what was left of the coating, and the oxidation. Now the whole light is free to oxidize if not protected, but the regular cleaning and protecting would keep up with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                        Well, I'd use the Headlight Protectant if I had it.... or just wax if I didnt.

No idea on how actual durability compares, but just doing it regularly should keep it from being an issue.

What the light actualy had was the UV coating failing (the line that looked like clear coat failure across the middle), and then the part above without the coating oxidized. So you removed what was left of the coating, and the oxidation. Now the whole light is free to oxidize if not protected, but the regular cleaning and protecting would keep up with it.
                        Very well explained, thanks.

Comment

Anyone know if the Headlight Protectant can be used on the tail lights as well? I just applied some a few days ago and it went on and buffed off really nicely.

Comment

Yeah, same idea on tail lights.

Just doesnt get as hot or take as much abuse back there, so usually the coating holds up better.

Comment

I know a little old but those headlights came out real nice. I'm getting ready to add the HD Kit and regular resto kit from Meg's to my collection.
                              Show N Shine Car Detailing - Quality Care, Each and Every Time

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');