• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another wheel cleaner question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another wheel cleaner question

Pretty much since getting this car, and using Meguiars products I've two or three times a year been using Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner on these wheels.. (pic from an old thread)... The wheels are factory VY Clubsport rims on a HSV Clubsport VY R8..

And the results have always been good.. no problems... since the Brake Dust Barrier arrived here late last year I've also been using that, which has made weekly maintenance exponentially easier..

My question is though... I've never really cleaned in behind the rims, bar occasionally getting a hard tooth brush and car detergent in behind... I won't touch that area with All Wheel Cleaner, for fear of stripping the red paint... Would any of the milder Meguiars wheel products be safe to use in that area?... I don't think the mrs would ever forgive me if I stripped the red paint!!

In New Zealand, we still stock many older discontinued products.. so our site list isn't the same... but readily available in auto care chain stores we tend to have

Hot Rims All Wheel and Tire Cleaner
    Non Acid Wheel Cleaner

if you shop around you can find the Hot Rims Chrome Cleaner (obviously not applicable due to being stronger again) and I think from memory the Hot Rims Aluminum Cleaner.. and Meguiars NZ list and sell online the Hot Rims Multi Piece Wheel Cleaner, currently half price as it is end of line (I gather from this site it is the same as the Aluminum Cleaner anyway) and Gold Class All Wheel Cleaner and Quick Wheel Detailer.

Thanks

Re: Another wheel cleaner question

Aluminum/Multi-Piece is the same, and is the mildest one made, next to just soap and water.

Just need a long wheel brush, spray the cleaner in there, and work it around.

If you can get them real clean, then use the Brake Dust Barrier back in there also, you can pretty much just use soapy water on everything.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Cheers Murr... Ordered a couple of bottles of the Multi-Piece, as I can get two bottles for the price of one of the Aluminum.. along with a couple of other products I can't find locally in the brick and mortar shops...

Comment

use tons of Hot rims on the barrels of the rims.
        You have caked on break dust that will require some strong cleaning by product and hand.
        I use Wheel Brightener. An extremely strong Acid and sometime I need to do two applications to loosen all that caked on grime.
        Rinse, then brush with a barrel brush, if you can find one, dry and then protect it.
        Your not going to damage a thing. Then acid will eat through the grim and nothing else.
        I do this to all the cars I detail, all the time with no problems.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Incidently, something like IronX or TRIX, etc is also good afte cleaning, before the BDB.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');