• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

meguiars ultimate wax vs. Gold Class Carnauba Plus Liquid Wax vs. NXT liquid wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: meguiars ultimate wax vs. Gold Class Carnauba Plus Liquid Wax vs. NXT liquid wax

Originally posted by Detailing by M View Post
    Why would you do that?
    But whatever, do what you want.
    I have never done this in my life and my the cars I detail look freak'en awesome.
    I got asked once "Do you have special paint on your car?" and all I had on it was Quick N Slick on it which is a spray N wipe product.

Now think about wax and sealants.
    What do they do and how do they do it?

They are designed to protect and stop things from sticking to them so they create a non-binding surface.
    So if you try to put something, wax or sealant it's not going to stick like you think it will.

My reference to a waist of time is that your doing 2x the work and are you really helping or hurting your paint. You are also doubling your costs. Now multiply all that work per car over your lifetime and that's alot of time.
    good info, what about spray wax's. 1) will a spray wax like ultimate quick wax or gold class carnuba make a detailed care look better? 2) if so how long should i wait to apply it after applying my wax/sealant (tech wax 2.0)? 3) i have a black car, if i do a end up doing a quick wax would GLC be noticeably different then UQW?

thanks for the information.

Comment

Re: meguiars ultimate wax vs. Gold Class Carnauba Plus Liquid Wax vs. NXT liquid wax

cmoney,

If you read through this discussion again, you will see a divergence of opinion on this matter of waxes and waxing. One of the key points is something you mention, "look better" and "noticeably different". The one thing you can gather from this discussion is beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Only you can determine what looks better and whether one wax is noticeably different than another wax. In general terms, you will read people believe a synthetic wax has a hard, cold, reflective appearance and a natural carnauba has a softer, warmer appearance. If, as you say, longevity is not a concern a concern of yours, then use natural wax for that softer, warm appearance. Some of us prefer longevity and Meguiar's states in a given set of circumstances and conditions Ultimate Wax has the "longest" longevity.

Two things to remember and consider. The prep work before waxing will be the major determining factor in the ultimate appearance of your vehicle. Secondly, as the noted detailer Mike Phillips is credited in saying, "find something you like and use it often".

For further reading on the topic of waxes:

and of course, the ever popular discussion by the always informative Mr. Stoops on waxes:

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      David

Comment

Let me quote myself from another thread a few minutes ago:

Originally posted by Top Gear View Post
        ...despite all the posters who will come after me for saying this, I've seen no actual proof here or elsewhere that a coating or sealant will give me what Gold Class/Yellow can give me in terms of look and feel, and also actually outlast it for real, and also require no boosting or maintenance.

How can I say that?? Consider that my Coupe is a black daily driver and is not garage kept. Here in the Southeast, the heat and humidity are brutal. The sunshine can be as clear and strong as any desert. Gulf of Mexico-supplied moisture can come in with days of pounding rains that can wash your wax almost completely off in one storm. Where I live there's a lot of dust and sand in the wind, as well. This is not Southern California with 70 degree rain-free convertible weather year-round! Paint protections do not last here when weathered. Yet, there are parts of my Coupe that have not been DA waxed in 15 months, but they are smooth, waxed and protected anyway - the secret is Quik Wax and Quick Detailer with regular boosting and occasional claying. Remember, the primary purpose of wax is to protect the finish and/or prep work underneath, and for a couple or three weeks for sure, that's easy to get from any product on the shelf.

If you enjoy waxing by hand or DA, you can do so once a month and it won't matter how long anything supposedly lasts. Boosting with quik products, on the other hand, reduces that workload dramatically, but still lets us enjoy a regular hobby of easy maintenance. You might find a different balance in your situation, your region of the country, etc. So, if I can get 15 months on a DA application of Gold Class wax and regular boosting, with a black car in the detail-challenging weather of the Southeast, why do I need to pay any attention to the mythical hype about other waxes, sealants or coatings??
        Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
        4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
        First Correction | Gallery

Comment

My Motorcycle is two-tone; black and gold. What would be the best wax to use. Should I use one on the black and another on the gold?

Comment

Originally posted by deepstuff View Post
            My Motorcycle is two-tone; black and gold. What would be the best wax to use. Should I use one on the black and another on the gold?
            Use Black Wax on black and Gold Class on gold....

I jest... no need to use 2 different waxes.
            As far as I know, no wax from Meguiar's is color specific.
            2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Comment

They do make a black wax. Aren't carbana waxes supoposed to be better on dark colors and synthetics better on light?

Comment

The difference in Black Wax and White Wax is in the amount of polish oil and cleaner.
                From my understanding, they are both carnauba based where Black wax has higher polishing oils and White having more cleaner.
                2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Comment

Originally posted by deepstuff View Post
                  They do make a black wax. Aren't carbana waxes supoposed to be better on dark colors and synthetics better on light?
                  Each offers a different look. Although ultimate wax looks good on dark colored cars.

Originally posted by C8N View Post
                  The difference in Black Wax and White Wax is in the amount of polish oil and cleaner.
                  From my understanding, they are both carnauba based where Black wax has higher polishing oils and White having more cleaner.
                  You are correct.
                  99 Grand Prix
                  02 Camaro SS

Comment

Well, if durability isn't a factor I'd probably use the Gold Class. I like to wax often in the spring/summer/fall months. That's where I'll use m26 a lot. Once in a while I'll "start over", with Ultimate Polish, then lay down my layer of wax. For the winter I'll lay down a sealant. I don't know what I did wrong, but I believe I got NXT 2.0 to last an entire winter. This year I'm going to try ULW.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');