• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dull paint - failed home job maguiers medium cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dull paint - failed home job maguiers medium cut

Hi guys!

help needed!

i have a metallic black Suzuki sx4, 6 years old. Paint was glossy, a little scratched and I wanted to do a cut and polish to spiff it up and pull the shine back again (like to be a hands on girl). Instead, I ended up with a dull car full of marks and patches. I don't want criticism, just some help please.

I used a rotary buffer & maguiers medium cut. I followed instructions carefully (so i thought). Why is my paint more dull? Few swirly buffer marks. and not glossy. Would love your knowledgable tips guys. Cheers.

Re: Dull paint - failed home job maguiers medium cut

Hi and welcome!
    You won't get criticized.
    Your paint is dull because you need to do a few more steps.
    Can you post pics please?
    You'll be find and most likely it was because of you technique. A rotary can be a finicky Mistress.
    How did you wash it?
    Did you Clay?

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Hi. Thank you i appreciate it.

I cleaned the car with my usual armoral car cleaning product.

No I did not clay.

photos to follow.

Comment

Armoral is stupid, jk.
        but seriously please upgrade to Meg's products in the future.
        Claying is the most important step. It removes all the surface contaminate that hinder paint correction, as your finding out.
        So go get a Meg's or any other clay kit for $20 at your closest store.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

I can't workout how to post my pics. Ok I will do that. So what products would you suggest? And where is the best place to look if I want to make sure I am covering all the steps?

Will I be able to fix this myself? I am pretty bummed at how dull it looks. I feel like I have ruined my car thank you again!

Comment

Is the rotary the only tool you have?

What sort of pads were you using? What speeds?

I doubt it is ruined, but you may have added a lot of fine scratches and marring.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Yes the rotary is the only tool I have. I used a woolen pad, and a microfibre pad (the standard pads i recieved with the rotary) The rotary that I have only has one set speed.

The paint was extremely smooth before starting - but lots of surface scratches. After applying, the area looks worse than before I did it. Very dull and cloudy. Is there a crucial step that I missed? Was I meant to follow with swirl remover or polish following the medium cut?

Could the wash and wax product i used to clean, be a reason for my result?
              Am I correct to pass over the area until dry?
              maybe I used too much product (3 swirls of medium cut on pad)?
              used wrong pad? (Woolen to apply)

I am happy to go back and do it all again with the right info at hand! Very determined!

Thanks guys!

Comment

I don't want to spend too much more but happy to purchase more product if I have infact missed anything!

Comment

Here is the way I post my pics from Photobucket.
                  This is the old Photobucket but still the same way to upload, copy and paste.
                  Creat an account. Upload from your phone or computer. Copy Img code. Paste in MOL

Here's a little cut away of your paint

so if a rotary is all have then don't go with a wool pad and defiantly not a MF pad.
                  A rotary is an advanced tool but you can correct your paint with it. Hopefully we'll teach you in a few short posts.

Switch to a Meg's Yellow pad or any other light polish pad.
                  DO A TEST SPOT with this pad and this is always the rule. Always do a test spot, always or you'll end up with a whole messed up car rather then just a messed up spot.

Most likely this won't correct the heaver scratches the wool pad put in there but it will tell you what your working with as in how good this pad will work.
                  I'm thinking the wool pad would need to be use again but maybe a little less pressure and a few more passes to minimize the bigger scratches.

After the wool pad you should have shiny paint but buffer marks and marring.
                  the Soft buff yellow pad should take this away.

Now don't expect professional results by any means but you should end up with a decent shine and not that many buffer marks.
                  That's all I can say now.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Here's the Meg's way of uploading pics too

How to put pictures into your posts

How-to Crop your photos before uploading them to your gallery

How to resize your photos using Easy Thumbnails - Free software!

Step-by-Step Picture-Posting HOW TO

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Pic one - bonnet

Comment

Comment

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Re: Dull paint - failed home job Meguiar's medium cut

Ok good try. but please get a sun shot close up.
                            But with that tool your very limited in you correction choices.
                            What year is this car?
                            A foam pad will do the least amount of damage so get a yellow pad asap.
                            Use Med Cut in a slow and back and forth motion in a 1x1 foot area. M1 has diminishing abrasives so it will stop working before you do so you need to pay attention. You'll see and feel it stop bitting/cutting your paint. at that point ease up on your pressure to try and get the marring off your paint. This is where your talent will come into play. So you're going to have to learn how to correct your paint.
                            Let the paint tell you what to do - The Paint Whisperer
                            This is an invaluable skil to learn and works every time.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');