• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Micro Marring on Black Harley Davidson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micro Marring on Black Harley Davidson

For removing swirls and micro marring in small areas -- like on a black motorcycle tank and fenders, what are the best Meguiar's products to use? I have almost all of the Professional Line except #81. It appears that DACP should not be used by hand. Should I just go with #9 and keep at it until the swirls and marring are gone. Any suggestions for what to apply the #9 with -- foam pad, terry pad, microfiber covered pad?

In the past I have used Harley Glaze Polish and Sealant and topped it with S100. I'm pretty sure that I was just filling in the swirls and marring. They seemed to come back fast.

When I finally get the swirls out I'll apply NXT. S100 may be used as a topper.

I've also had some problem with QD's causing marring on my black bikes. And I'm darned careful. Any suggestions other than painting my bikes silver?

Tom

Hi Tom,

Do you have a PC, or a RB?

(I forget, I read all your posts, but too many members, too many forums)

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike,

I'm still messin' with a PC but I'm getting closer to a RB (probably a Makita).

I wanted to avoid using a PC on the bikes because the areas are so tight. I could get at the tank with a buffer and a small pad, but a buffer would not work all that well on the fenders, etc.

The bikes look great. Most folks wouldn't notice the marring. It shows the most in bright sunlight.

About the QD's -- because I live on a dusty road, my bikes are always dusty after a ride. Should I be able to use a QD to remove the dust after they have cooled down. If I do so, will microfiber polishing cloths prevent marring more than terry cloths,

These darned forums have exacerbated ( I like to use that word ) my OCD.

Tom

Comment

Hi Tom,

I hear you on the close quarters when working on bikes.

That said, you best results for removing the micro marring will be to use a machine. This mean only buffing the areas you can physically get to.

If you choose to do this, get some soft sheets and tape off any area you don't want splatter to get onto. (Most important)

If you choose to work by hand, definitely use a clean, foam applicator pad for applying and removing your products. I would try either the #9, #82, or even ScratchX, followed by your choice of wax. Do you have any #16 Professional Paste Wax?

I think you'll find it out performs products like P21S and the kind of results this products produces.

As far as reducing scratching from dust removal with quick detailer, you could try a couple of things,

*Blowing the dust off first with compressed air
        *Using a California Duster first, followed by a quick detailer

When you use your quick detailer, use it heavy, but not so heavy that it's running off the sides of the bike, and also use your best quality microfibers and spray a little quick detailer onto the microfiber first to pre-moisten the microfiber surface for a little extra slipperiness?

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike,

Your suggestions are pretty much what I thought. As soon as I learn how to use a rotary buffer I may open my own web forum.

So you think that a California Duster is OK as far not causing marring? I've read much about it pro and con.

I had already considered using the QD pretty heavy and premoistening the microfiber cloth before using it. Like I said, I'm almost ready for my own forum.

Tom

Comment

Hey,

My Dad has a 97 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100. When we bought the bike last year from a private owner, the gas tank and fenders were not marred, but cob webbed and swirled all to hell At the time I had my PC and some general screw on pads along with DACP.

I used it on speed 5 on the gas tank and it worked wonders on the tank, got the swirls out and topped with #26, really made it like liquid black again!!

From my past experience up until now, I am not afriad to take a PC to anything anymore. As far as the fenders go, well you can't do much about those or other parts of the bike for that matter. I say do the best you can with your PC and get what you can get,,,deadman98

Comment

Tguil,

I have a California Duster and have no problems with it. I use it on my Corvette to remove the dust so I can put the car cover back on. This car is only driven about once a month. I would never use it on the car if it was something more than just dust on it.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');