• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Chevy Malibu - Gas gauge inside car not reading properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Chevy Malibu - Gas gauge inside car not reading properly

For at least the last 2 months almost like clockwork I'd attempt to fill up my gas tank when I am finished (or so i thought) of course I'd get back in my car and the gas gauge would read 3/4 to just over 3/4 full, there have been many times less, anyway, I'm not sure what's going on because at the pump when my tank is full it automatically shuts off , i have not been in any accidents nor has anyone rear ended me, do you have any ideas what it could be, I just bought the car last September.
    A champion is someone who gets up, even when he can't

First off, is the tank actually filling up all the way? You would have to do this manually somehow by watching how much gas you pump and how big your tank is.

Some things that come to mind:
    -Bad fuel level sensor
    -The float in the tank could be bad if there is a float
    -The stator motor or whatever its called in the fuel guage itself could have a problem.
    -vapor line for the fuel tank may not vent properly causing the gas pump nozzle to click off and hence the fuel tank does not fill all the way up
    Always searching for the best.... Keep it country!
    ---------
    SkiDoo Snowmobiles!

Comment

Re: 2012 Chevy Malibu - Gas gauge inside car not reading properly

Are you serious ? is the tank filling up all the way , of course it is otherwise why would the nozzle shut off automatically , nevermind i'll wait for more replies !!

Comment

The pump will shut off if the gas backs up at all, your tank doesn't even need to be full my truck kicks off the pump all the time when its not full. Its your sending unit or the float assuming the gauge is working properly. Easy fix just buy a new sending unit if they sell them seperatly.
        Even the best cars look like junk when they are not clean

Comment

I don't think there's an easy fix for this... There are so many things that can cause this behavior (the tank, the tubes, the EVAP system/valve...) that I would highly recommend you let the dealership know of the problem. I would think you still have it under warranty?
          Black on Black - 2007 Chevy Avalanche Z71 4x4
          Personalized Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by Showmob:525695
            The pump will shut off if the gas backs up at all, your tank doesn't even need to be full my truck kicks off the pump all the time when its not full. Its your sending unit or the float assuming the gauge is working properly. Easy fix just buy a new sending unit if they sell them seperatly.
            Thank you.
            Always searching for the best.... Keep it country!
            ---------
            SkiDoo Snowmobiles!

Comment

Originally posted by ChevyNick View Post
              First off, is the tank actually filling up all the way? You would have to do this manually somehow by watching how much gas you pump and how big your tank is.

Some things that come to mind:
              -Bad fuel level sensor
              -The float in the tank could be bad if there is a float
              -The stator motor or whatever its called in the fuel guage itself could have a problem.
              -vapor line for the fuel tank may not vent properly causing the gas pump nozzle to click off and hence the fuel tank does not fill all the way up
              +1 Many nozzles will shut off before the tank is full, especially if you are filling it at the fastest setting on the nozzle.
              Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

Originally posted by coopstah View Post
                Are you serious ? is the tank filling up all the way , of course it is otherwise why would the nozzle shut off automatically , nevermind i'll wait for more replies !!
                Of course he's serious, he's right!
                Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

Yes its still under warfanty ,the car is just 6 months old i called and spoke to the dealer, long story but they told me i would have to pay $100 to diagnose the problem which will take at least 2 hrs. I'm convinced they make you wait ,if its not one thing its another with this car, for the first 2 12 months i bought the car i had spiders living in it and now that the winter is here ,there isof course no more spiders, now this, pain the ***

Comment

not sure why the car is doing that but I do know dealerships are a rip off and always overcharge

Comment

Originally posted by Car Potential View Post
                      not sure why the car is doing that but I do know dealerships are a rip off and always overcharge
                      I like your wisdom.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');