• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can i remove deep scratches by hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i remove deep scratches by hand

Hi all,

I own a dark grey Skoda Octavia
    Lately the car got some nasty scratches , probably some of them were made by a key or any other sharp object.

Unfortunately, i don't have a rotery buffer so the best solution as a see it is to work by hands and to hope for good results.

I consider myself as a novice to detalling, any advice aboit best technique or the things i should have before even starting , are welcome .

Some pictures that whould illustrate the damage

Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

Thanks

You may not even be able to remove them with a machine run your fingernail over it if it catches you will not be able to remove the scratches. To answer your question you will not not have much luck removing scratches by hand. A Da or a Rotary would.be your best bet and since your a novice a Da would be a good start! I hope this helps you out!
    Even the best cars look like junk when they are not clean

Comment

Re: Can i remove deep scratches by hand

The scratches are deep i thought about buying a matching color to fill them with it
      then maybe use 2000 grit to sand them and then to apply a polish \ wax or maybe both on the surface .

I'm not sure what products to use and what is the exact working plan

"First do X then do y ..." is what a call working plan

Comment

if you can feel them.. NO....

Comment

Looks like you have paint missing so no polishig, you need paint.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

I can feel them

I intend to fill them with paint , what are the next steps ?

I tried to find some video or some detailed post where i can find some answers but didn't managed to do so

Comment

Paint, sand, buff, polish, wax.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Where can i find a more spesific explanation or a tutorial ?

Comment

Get the touch up paint you need and mask off around the area give yourself around a half inch of room around the scratch . Use the paint to fill in the scratch try to only get the scratch once you get it filled sand it flush with 1000 grit followed by 1500,2000 and 3000 then get a body shop safe compund like 105 and a DA polisher and a soft buff red pad and polish out the sanding scratches. Depending on how much sanding you need to do it may be a good idea to retouch the clear coat and blend it with 1500,2000 and 3000 followed by polishing with 105 again. Dont apply wax to the area for a couple months but you can polish it. Hopefully this helps if you need vid or oics or anything let me know im sure I have a customer who needs a deep scratch filled
                  Even the best cars look like junk when they are not clean

Comment

I didn't give you instructions on how to paint, wet sand, buff, polish and wax. Because this isn't something you can lean on a forum. You should contact a Pro to get this done properly.
                    Granted you can put some touch up paint in it yourself but that's about it and you might even do that incorrectly.
                    So I'm sorry to say that these scratches can't be fixed by posting a question and getting the answer.
                    You have paint missing. It a pro to fix it properly.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Originally posted by Please Wash Me Detailing View Post
                      I didn't give you instructions on how to paint, wet sand, buff, polish and wax. Because this isn't something you can lean on a forum. You should contact a Pro to get this done properly.
                      Granted you can put some touch up paint in it yourself but that's about it and you might even do that incorrectly.
                      So I'm sorry to say that these scratches can't be fixed by posting a question and getting the answer.
                      You have paint missing. It a pro to fix it properly.
                      I found some very detailed instructions that explain how to remove the scratches from http://highperformancejunkies.com/ho...eep-scratches/

I thought about using UC as a rubbing compound .
                      I don't know what ti use as a p
                      olishing compound and a polish .

Comment

Here is some reading for you.

Key Repair-Step by Step Procedure I was contacted by a member on L2D for a referral for his sister in law for a scratch repair. The car was a medium g
                        2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Comment

Originally posted by C8N View Post
                          Enjoyed reading the step-by-step guide. Unfortunately, i do not have a polishing machine

Comment

^ Yeah, my understanding is that the minimum requirement would be at least DA with a MF cutting pad as I have read that it is possible to take out 3000 sanding marks with this. But I guess it would depend on the paint as well?

I think Dr Colorchip and Langka were meant for rock chips but I am wondering if they can be applied to some scratches.....
                            2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');