• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meguiars Ultimate Wax and Polish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meguiars Ultimate Wax and Polish

Hi,

I am getting a new car on Monday and am wanting to give it that deep wet look and shiny polish, I don't think it will need clay bar or cleaning before hand other than a wash as its brand new?

I was looking at Meguiars products as they are easy to get my hands on and they suggest using a polish first then a wax. So I was going to get the Ultimate Polish and the Ultimate Wax

I was just wondering if anyone is able to tell me is it going to far to use a Polish on a brand new car? or will it give me the look im going for using both?, do I need to clay bar it even though its new? , Do I need to use something to get rid of what already on there from the factory?

I am also happy to look at other products in the lineup if you think they would be better.

Sorry, hope this is somewhat clear and for all the questions.

Thanks
    Dan

Re: Meguiars Ultimate Wax and Polish

I usually recommend clay-barring a new car. Not sure how much time the car spend in a shipping crate, a train car, a transport semi or sat in a dealers' lot collecting bonded contaminates during the whole trip or waiting for you to pick it up. For the amount of time it may take yo,u the end result may well be worth. Obtaining the wet look and reflective finish, means starting at the bottom and getting that smooth.

Will you be working by hand or using a dual action buffer?

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    David

Comment

Hi thanks for the reply I would be working by hand for now don't mind taking the time to get it done right either

Comment

G'day Dan, and welcome to MOL!

Most new cars still need to be clayed for the reasons pointed out by David above. So I would definitely clay it first.

What kind of car? Colour? You might want to check the paint in direct sunlight to see if it has any swirls (again, common for new cars, especially darker colours). If so, you may want to try Ultimate Compound first, then UP, then UW. If not, just the UP followed by UW (as you suggested) should have it looking great!

But definitely clay it first...
        Originally posted by Blueline
        I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
          G'day Dan, and welcome to MOL!

Most new cars still need to be clayed for the reasons pointed out by David above. So I would definitely clay it first.

What kind of car? Colour? You might want to check the paint in direct sunlight to see if it has any swirls (again, common for new cars, especially darker colours). If so, you may want to try Ultimate Compound first, then UP, then UW. If not, just the UP followed by UW (as you suggested) should have it looking great!

But definitely clay it first...
          Ok, thanks i guess I will clay first The car is a Dark Grey Metallic. I wasn't sure about compound as I thought new car maybe it will take to much clearcoat off or something

Haven't really detailed any of my cars before, other than a coat of wax.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan A View Post
            Ok, thanks i guess I will clay first The car is a Dark Grey Metallic. I wasn't sure about compound as I thought new car maybe it will take to much clearcoat off or something

Haven't really detailed any of my cars before, other than a coat of wax.
            Hi Dan,

Don't fear Ultimate Compound with a clear coat... Pretty much every Meguiars product (that I know of) for external paint I've seen on the shelf in NZ (and from what I've heard and read our range is identical to Aus) is designed to be safe on clear coat... There are a whole heap of sticky threads and topics on these forums which might help.... I'd suggest you can't really go too wrong with combining Ultimate Compound (if needed), Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Wax (Liquid or Paste)... maybe switch up with Gold Class Wax if you prefer the look of a carnuaba wax... and then maintain in between times with either the Ultimate Line or Gold Class Line of spray detailers and waxes..

Comment

Or at least something quick like:

1. Wash
              2. Clay
              3. Black Wax, or other cleaner/wax
              4. Wax - Ult. Wax, Gold Class, etc.

And be sure to call the dealer, and do not let them wash it.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                Or at least something quick like:

And be sure to call the dealer, and do not let them wash it.
                I think its to late for that

Oh and this sort of post is what scares me about UC http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...my-paint/page1 on a brand new car....so i'm still unsure about it.

Comment

If there are no swirls/defects, esp caused by the dealer washing... wont need UC anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan A View Post
                    Oh and this sort of post is what scares me about UC http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...my-paint/page1
                    Did you read the whole thread though? That was caused by very soft paint and poor technique. Plus, for some reason, he went and did the whole car instead of just a test spot first. Furthermore, that is all still fixable (though obviously still undesirable).

Anyway, I suppose you have a point. Your paint may be delicate too. Start with just UP first and see how you go. If there's still some defects/swirls that remain after that, you can step it up to UC if desired.
                    Originally posted by Blueline
                    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Haven't read the whole post yet am reading bits n pieces while at work but yeah I think I might just start with polish and wax

Btw would a DA help much with respect to applying all this and help with maybe being less likely to cause damage my bday is coming up and I need something to put on the list not sure you can get them in AUS though

Comment

I am sure some of the other aussie members could say what the best machines are available down there.

As far as being easier... for just a mild cleaner/polish and wax, or cleaner/wax and wax, it can be a little less tiring, but not a huge deal.

Defect removal is where the machine makes the biggest difference.

Comment

Read or watch a couple videos on how to wash your car using 2 bucket method so you dont put any new swirls in.

When you clay,do so after washing and drying properly

Clay 1 panel at a time and I like to break off a piece just for those lower panels behind the tires that catch all the nasty stuff that comes off the road and dont use that piece on any other panels.

Two thing that always stuck in my mind when performing detailing was :
                          1 Always do a test section first
                          2 Anytime you touch your car, you can install swirls if done improperly or with poor products.

And oh yeah HAVE FUN !

Comment

With A Dual Action Polisher, Using Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Liquid wax is all you will need for a new car.

Quick Tips..
                            When applying Ultimate polish, make sure surface is cool to touch and you work small areas at a time. Wipe off immediately after done with correction. 2x2.

Mist Pad when Ultimate polish pad becomes dry.

For the Ultimate LIquid wax, this product apply extremely thin. NO more the 2oz for a midsize car.

Happy Waxing !

Comment

taping up?

How important is taping things up for using 1. only UP with DA machine, 2. Both UC and UP? Many thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');