• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New car plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New car plan

Hi guys. So just got a brand new Acura rdx charcoal gray today. Well my GF did at least and she gave me the pleasure of giving it its first bath. My plan of attack is....
    1-wash with CG citrus wash clear (supposed to strip off all dressings safely for doing corrections)
    2-clay using a new CG wash/clay mitt
    3- evaluate paint for imperfections.
    4- if imperfections correct using m101 and megs mf pad system on da.
    5- polish using m205 with black polishing pad (or mf finishing pad) not sure which to use.
    6- use ULW with black finishing pad
    7- of course all the dressings on tires and plastics
    this is my first major detail and want it to go smoothly. ANY advice is appreciated. I still feel I'm pretty new to this even though I've been on this forum for over a year and have only really practiced on my car. Once again any advice is welcomed. Please feel free to tweak it however and add products or take them out. Some of the products I have......
    UC
    UPOLISH
    ULW/paste
    scratch x
    U protectant
    D300
    D301
    ColorX
    black wax
    U black
    engine cleaner
    supreme shine protectant
    endurance tire gel
    quick interior detailer cleaner
    All metal polish with dynacone
    hot rims all wheel cleaner
    Brake dust barrier
    UQW
    Perfect clarity glass cleaner
    head light protectant
    plastx
    RFEW
    Super degreaser
    APC+
    D156
    M135
    and I use a 3d product final touch for clay lube but with the mitt I'm going to use CG mr pink for soap cuz it came with the mitt when I bought it.
    Ill be using a Meg's g110 v1 with either mf pads or w8207b 7" or 4" and w9207b 7" or 4". I also have LC orange, yellow, or white I believe 5" (they fit the w67da backing plate). I also have about 6 each of the buffing pads for Meg's. I have about 50 supreme shine towels and mf wash mitt and mf waffle weave for drying. I have numerous hand applicators also if need be. Separate mf towels for tires and an applicator swipe for tire gel.
    I have access to compressor for cleaning mf pads and also a brush and towels for cleaning on the fly. Hopefully this gives you an idea of what I have to work with and help me tweak it to suit my needs. Like I said I'm still pretty new to this and open to any ideas on processes and advice. Also if I should add some products to my list let me know please. I'm not a pro and don't plan on opening a business just want my car looking the best I can make it. Thanks in advance guys. If it wasn't for this site I'd still be using dawn with a dirty sponge that I found under my toolbox and a house towel to dry the car off it it wasn't already dried by the sun itself lol.

Re: New car plan

Also thinking about getting new polisher. I'm thinking I'm more than likely gonna go with the Meg's g110v2 but I've also had my eye on the Rupes. Either the 15 or 21. My GF said I can buy a new one since I'm going to be taking care of her car lol. Only thing is I haven't heard to much about the Rupes like if it take the Meg's backing plates and pads cuz I don't want to have to buy all new pads and backing plates. Any input would be great. Thanks again

Comment

Also forgot to mention I will be using the 2 bucket method with a grit guard in each bucket

Comment

Holy moly, you going into business or what
        Why are you heavy hitting it with M101. I would suggest a test spot of an area of 2 foot by 2 foot and start with your least aggressive product, which might be in this case Ultimate Compound. Check out the photographs from the Meguiar's Saturday classes. UC can be your friend!!! You may end up using D300 if you need to be that aggressive. Heavens, it maybe soft paint and you can start with M205, Ultimate Polish or ColorX. Only a test spot will tell you for sure. "Least Aggressive Method", repeat after me, "Least Aggressive Method".

Black Wax followed by Ultimate Wax. That could be a nice combination. I have a tube of Black Wax waiting for just that, but it won't stop raining!!! I hate the flood season.

Claying will remove wax and bonded contaminates. I use Quik Detailer for lube or Last Touch. For me at least, I don't use anything but automotive soap and shampoo on my car. No Dawn or Citrus Wash. Just me I guess.

Enjoy your/her new car.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        David

Comment

Lol yeah I tend to go overboard when I get passionate about something. Plus i got a good deal from one of RPPM's infamous deals. Sent me a ton of stuff that i have recently begun to use. After I posted I realized that I should try the colorx first and work up to the 101. I know the claying should help with the wax and stuff but I bought the citrus wash when I visited CG warehouse to try it out. Hopefully it will help make the claying a little easier and what I really wanted it for was to make sure nothing is hiding any imperfections.

Comment

don't forget the Grit guards

Comment

Brinkmann light as long as the girlfriend is at it.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              David

Comment

Have 2 grit guards. One for each bucket. And I actually just got a brinkman light on Monday. Love it

Comment

Wow, quite an impressive collection! Please post an update on what you do and what ends up working the best for you.

I too just got a new car, a dark grey Mazda, which may have paint similar to your RDX. My car came with a whole bunch of DISO, mainly on the horizantal sufraces. Being my 1st new car in 12+ years, I want to keep it decent looking.

I've been lurking here for the past few weeks soaking up quite a bit of knowledge (great group BTW!). I have just finished acquiring everything needed to give paint correction a try once the weather and my schedule align. After washing (2 bucket method with GG's ) & claying, I plan to use the Ultimate products (UC, UP, UW) with a PC and LC pads, starting with the UP first on a small test area. I'm also considering trying white wax with a polishing pad on a small area to see if it may remove some of the defects.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');