• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wool Pad Installed Swirls/Scratches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wool Pad Installed Swirls/Scratches

Just bought the HD restore kit for my wife's Trailblazer over the weekend to clear up her badly fogged lights. Kit made a tremendous improvement but they are still far from new. Anyway, my '07 Tundra is just starting to show some fog so I used the Plastx with the wool pad to clear them up. In the daylight they looked much better, no more fog so I thought the combo worked great. That night I turned on my headlights to see what the lenses really looked like and I was very disappointed. Millions of scratches and swirls from the wool pad all over the huge lenses of the Tundra. I know the pad was a full of old product from the wife's truck so I cleaned it in water/laundry detergent agitating with the drill and my hand. Pad came out clean as a whistle so I went through the same process last night on the same headlight and I cannot get the scratches out. I even followed the wool pad with a microfiber application by hand; still no dice. I thought maybe I had the drill too fast but I read that the speed doesn't particularly matter and my drill turns 1800 rpm (cordless Hitachi). I'd hate to wet sand if I don't have to in this case. What do you think? Thanks for your help.

Re: Wool Pad Installed Swirls/Scratches

any thought guys? i thought about using the 3k paper but that would put even more scratches in them. Should i keep at it with the plastx....maybe by hand?

Comment

I did as the kit says...use the 1500 and 3000 grit and then followed up with the wool pad and plastx. My headlights turned out great. Just watch the videos and you will be fine. You can also try uc or m105 if you don't want to use the sandpaper and see what results you get with those products.

Comment

thanks renegadejade. i have some uc and will try that. you think that is a bit more aggresive than the plastx?

Comment

Yes it is more aggressive than plastx. Let us know how it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by renegadejade View Post
            Yes it is more aggressive than plastx. Let us know how it works out.
            Forgot to ask...should the uc be done by hand or with the wool pad or rotary or DA?

Comment

I would think of those ways would work. I have used wool pad on drill and yellow pad on da with great results. I have also used the microfiber cutting disc on da as well. If you use a machine just be careful about heat build up.

Comment

Here are a couple of pics before using the UC on the passenger side lens. I didn't realize how little of the UC I had left....

Comment

And here are a few after the UC followed by Plastx. It definitely looks better but not perfect so I probably need to get some more UC and get back on it.

Comment

Looks good. Are you using the wool pad? From the pictures it does not look like you need to use the sandpaper...even though it really wouldn't hurt, just have to buff the scratches out afterwards.

Comment

I did use the wood pad with the UC. I need to get some more of it and possibly try it by hand for the final. Maybe I'm just too picky and should leave well enough alone. Thanks renegadejade for your help!!

Comment

You're welcome. Don't worry about being picky, we are all picky here. Which is why this awesome forum exists.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');