• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Add something else - or just what I am doing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add something else - or just what I am doing?

OK. I have just been searching and reading a lot of threads....feel a slight headache coming on so I have a couple questions. My car (2004 Acura TL) just turned 1 year old and what I have been doing to it so far is simply - NXT wash, dry with MF, NXT Tech Wax (Liquid) - put on by hand using Meguiar Foam applicator, removed using MF, then some QD when I am done with MF.

In between waxes - after each wash I use Meguiars QD - on/off with MF. The car looks great - it is Anthracite color (Metallic Gray) and thanks to the MF and no longer using old t-shirts to take the wax off all those years on previous cars (uh, thanks a lot Dad! ) I do not see any swirls etc. (Yes, I know there are some somewhere, but with my nose touching the paint - she looks pretty good)

Oh yes, back to my question.... What else can I add to the mix - without overkill? Like I said I do applications by hand (not looking to buy any tools to apply), but should I add a polish prior to my waxing - will that get me even deeper wetter look or am I good with the NXT alone? Also, I have always used the QD - now that I am using NXT wax (may try the paste since I do apply by hand) - should I also switch to the NXT Speed Detailer instead of the QD? Is it a better compliment to the NXT wax than the QD?

Thanks for any feedback - been away from the forum for awhile - but not the product
    04 Acura TL 5AT Non-Navi Anthracite/Ebony with Deck Lid
    Nice ... NXT'd

Hi:

Based on what you have said I would suggest two things.

My car (2004 Acura TL) just turned 1 year old and what I have been doing to it so far is simply - NXT wash, dry with MF, NXT Tech Wax (Liquid) - put on by hand using Meguiar Foam applicator, removed using MF, then some QD when I am done with MF.
    1. After you remove the NXT wax I would not use a QD for approximately 24 hours. NXT needs to cure and any water or other liquid within 24 hours is not a good idea. Not a big problem, but the best plan is to let NXT cure completely for the maximum results.

2. You can give #81 hand polish a try. It is a pure polish and can be applied by hand. The only way to know if it is going to help with this color is to give it a try. I use it all the time on black and it makes a big difference.

As far as the QD, either will work. It really depends on what you like or prefer. I am still using QD as I like the way it cleans the paint a little better than the NXT Speed Detailer. I have not seen a big difference between the two products. Again, you will just have to try it to know for sure with your color paint.

Regards,

KTruck
    Last edited by KTruck; Apr 29, 2005, 12:59 PM.
    Make it Shine

Comment

Couple more things...if you can't find the #81, DC#2 is also a pure polish and does wonders on dark colors. Also, 2 thin coats of NXT applied 24 hours apart will add to the effect. Though I haven't tried it yet, I've read that a final topper of #26 is the best of both LSP's
      Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

Thanks for the answers here. I have a similar situation. I have never attempted using power. Only hand power here. I am going to try some of the #81 (by hand) prior to NXT.

My question is: How much force should I use when hand polishing? How long do you work in one area. Is it best to do a panel at a time or the whole vehicle. How long after application can I remove polish?

Thanks to everyone on this great forum....

Comment

Originally posted by mag88
          My question is: How much force should I use when hand polishing?
          Don't use force, use light pressure with the human element of care and passion. Pretend you're applying some skin lotion to your arm.

How long do you work in one area?
          2-3 passes over each square inch should insure a thorough application, kind of like applying the NXT Tech Wax.

Is it best to do a panel at a time or the whole vehicle. How long after application can I remove polish?
          Compounds, Paint Cleaners, Cleaner/Polishes, & Pure Polish do not need to dry and typically remove best when removed after you're finished working them in. A good practice is to apply to one section or one panel at a time, and then remove using a clean soft premium quality microfiber polishing cloth or a clean, soft 100% cotton towel.

Best of luck...

p.s.

If you've never clayed your car, you might run your clean hand over the finish after you've washed it and inspect for above surface bonded contaminants. If you feel any, then clay your car's finish.

Claying periodically insures maximum gloss because gloss is produced by smoothness and smoothness is achieved by insuring no above surface contaminants are on the finish. Then polish and wax as normal.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Mike. Great info.

One last question. I now use #7 prior to NXT. Will using #81 instead of #7 give more depth?

Comment

Originally posted by mag88
              Thanks Mike. Great info.

One last question. I now use #7 prior to NXT. Will using #81 instead of #7 give more depth?
              M07 Show Car Glaze contains the richest concentration of polishing oils out of all Meguiar's polishes, that said, both products are rich in polishing oils and I would bet that side-by-side, only the most discriminating eye could tell a difference.

Have fun...
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');