• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint Marred By Plastic Tarp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Marred By Plastic Tarp

Hi:

New to this forum.

I was recently helping my sister move. There was the threat of heavy rain so I threw a plastic tarp over the bed of my pickup and secured it with some bungee hooks. In the 20 mile or so drive I managed to wind whip my paint into a mess.

I have significantly damaged the clear coat. Basically flat black patches all over the otherwise shiny clear coat on the two side bed panels and tailgate. It is very noticeable.

It is a 99 Tacoma with black paint. It had a repaint with clear coat two years ago. While it is just an old truck, it looks pretty awful with this damage. Some basic research shows me I could need anything from an aggressive staged polishing to wet sanding to a repaint. I am really trying hard to avoid the repaint.

I have a garage full of Griot's products including their polishers and a random orbital.

I wanted to get a sense of what is best to do before just diving in and trying things.

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

What I think I need is a high quality detailer and I posted a "wanted" note in that forum as well. I live in Tyler, TX. I've read good things about Nick Chapman IN Grapevine, TX but he is about 2-3 hours away from me.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Austin

Re: Paint Marred By Plastic Tarp

Any pics you can post up?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I can try later today. At work and I haven't taken any yet. I will work on it. Thanks.

Comment

Hello again,

Hopefully these pictures will show what I am trying to describe. I mentioned the Griot's products above. I realize that may be like showing up to a Mercedes board and bragging about my awesome BMW. I am not sure what point I was making really. I am happy to purchase any Meguiar's products. Or like I mentioned also above, I would love a tip on a good detailer.

Comment

Looks like a job for Ultimate Polish if that wont remove the marring then move up to Ultimate Compound, either can be applied by hand or DA. Be sure to follow up with your favorite Meguiars wax.
          Detail Werks
          Derek Bemiss
          SEMA/Ford Care Care Team Leader 2004 through 2012.

Comment

Thank you Derek.

I admit, when you said that I was feeling pretty cynical. I was figuring that I would need some multi-step process. So I am here to eat some crow.

After your reply I took the car to a detailer who said to forget it. It was too far damaged. He thought the clear coat was completely destroyed and it was through to the paint.

I then got out the products I had on hand which were another companies polish products and they did not do a thing. These are very high quality expensive products. They literally made no difference.

I figured I was stuck getting the bed of my truck repainted.

Discouraged I went to Pep Boys and bought both the Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish. I retreated the paint with a Paint Prep product, fired up my random orbital and went at it with the Ultimate Compound.

After one 2 minute pass, 90% of the marks were gone in the section I had taped off. It took about 10 minutes in each section and multiple passes but within two hours I had both side panels and tail gate looking gorgeous. Not only were the horrible "leopard marks" gone but the paint looks as good as new. All the marks from the paint tarp beating on the paint were gone. The paint looks perfect!

Absolutely incredible product. I am simply amazed.

Tomorrow I will polish the rest of the truck and then top with a coat of wax.

I am not one to go on and on about a product. But that was simply miraculous. I was stunned. That was the most satisfying 2 hours I have spent in a long time.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks Meguiar's Ultimate Compound.

I would post "after" photos but it is now night and basically all you need to do is imagine gorgeous black paint, shiny, deep and clear... simply stunning.

Mike

Comment

Yeah, Ult. Polish and then Wax will look fantastic.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Make sure to post finished pics, would like to see the turnaround

Comment

Glad it worked out for you!

UC is indeed a great product. Be sure to post some pics after you've waxed it.
                  Originally posted by Blueline
                  I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

I'm surprised the detailer gave up without trying, but then again he/she may have been concerned about making it worse. I'm glad it worked out for you, 'cuz it was brutalized.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    David

Comment

That Ultimate Compound is an awesome product. Glad to hear it worked out!

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');