• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Muscle Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

for 04 ford is still making the old body style trucks as an entry level truck and as a platform for the current lightning. I think the new lightning comes in 05. It will be interesting to see what they will do.

The dodge ram srt-10 was just realeased so they are really going to have to step it up a notch to compete with the 500hp 500#torque monster, it also has large disk brakes and a 6 speed manual! I saw one down the street from my house last weekend...NICE !!! but a touch expensive at 45K
    If you dont play you CANT win!

Comment

well actually the 04 is exactly like the 03 with looks and engine, and the 05 concept is what you saw, there are actually going to be no SVT products in 05.

The Lightnings still hold the market for the fastest & best sport truck for the price. (10K's under the SRT-10 Ram, and about the same speed stock)

The 05 is really going to be a hit, no doubt about it.
      -Kyle

2003 SVT Cobra - Redfire
      http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/...aCorrected.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by SqkyKln
        for 04 ford is still making the old body style trucks as an entry level truck and as a platform for the current lightning. I think the new lightning comes in 05. It will be interesting to see what they will do.

The dodge ram srt-10 was just realeased so they are really going to have to step it up a notch to compete with the 500hp 500#torque monster, it also has large disk brakes and a 6 speed manual! I saw one down the street from my house last weekend...NICE !!! but a touch expensive at 45K
        Not wanting to start anything here, but the SRT-10 Ram runs 13.10's stock, and there are a few L's that can do 13.10 stock, but the majority do 13.20's or so.. The SRTRam also has a very weak clutch, so that's the first thing people have to replace in order to be able to handle the mods.

The top speed of the Ram is only 7 MPH over the Lightning, and the L has 380 stock HP and 450 FtLbs TQ and the ram has 500/500 like you mentioned.
        -Kyle

2003 SVT Cobra - Redfire

Comment

Dont forget ford could only achieve those #'s with a supercharger, the ram is N/A I agree the L is the best bang for the buck but if you get into modding the trucks look out for a 1000 hp twin turbo ram.

As for track times I never go by what the mfg claims who knows what reason they may have had for inflating or even deflating the #'s. I know there are some low 13 second L's out there, I am interested to see what the SRT-10 will do reall world. The top speed is computer limited ( I am sure for safety reasons ) so that is only a very minor setback.

One more thing about track times, what are teh 60" times on the 2 respective time slips ( Lightning's 13:10 SRT's 13:10 ) My bet is the Lightning had a much better 60" time.

Dont take my comments as an attack or trying to start anything, just info for info, a discission of opinions

I am not a brand loyal guy, whatever is workin at the time will get my vote. I have a ford superduty and its the best worktruck I have had yet, also have a chevelle and a mazda and a toyota and a Mini...lol

Comment

:-)

Well the L and the SRT have already had a race, and the L won.. Here's a vid

The L ran 12.52 I hear, barely modded. (I think the SRT driver just wasn't used to the truck, or had never drag raced before, that's definantly not what it would do with an expert driver)
            -Kyle

2003 SVT Cobra - Redfire

Comment

I hear ya ! Glad we didnt get all squirly on the ford vs chevy vs dodge...ROFLMAO If its fast I like it. To be perfectly honest I would rather have a Lightning, its tried and true and the SRT is new and overpowered I am sure there will be many bugs that surface in the near future. I have driven Vipers and of all the performance cars I have had the pleasure of driving I liked the viper the LEAST! Way to disconected for my taste.

Comment

yeah I hate the Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge arguments, they're pointless

I personally would prefer the Lightning too, but that's because for one, I just like how it looks better, has more "bang" and two, it's closer to my price range
                -Kyle

2003 SVT Cobra - Redfire

Comment

I would like the Ram better if they lost that goofy wing. I like the ford and like you said its much closer to my price range but its ready for a refresher. Its had the same body for a quite a while now. I think the 05 is going to ROCK !

Have you looked at the shifter on the Ram ?? Looks a little funny but I guess what else could they do to put the shifter in a useable position....still looks funny to me.

Comment

The new Z06 (available as an '05 model) will have 500 HP to run with the Viper. The SRT 10 is a lot more $$$ than the L. It costs the same or a little bit more than a C5 Vette. Road and Track lists the price of an '04 C5 at $44K. They say the L is a lot easier to mod as there aren't many aftermarket parts for the V-10 yet. Regardless the SRT 10 is a cool looking truck.

RamAirV1
                    2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                    2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

I would rather have the Z06 ! but for mods there are a ton for the Viper already so mods for the SRT arent far away if not already available. The other thing that ford always has done right on the L is that it is driver friedly, an average driver can turn a good time with little problem, but on the other hand I feel sorry for the un-experienced driver in an SRT because he will be shamed by much slower cars with a good driver. Even the 1st gen L's were very driver friendls, the ss454 truck had more torque and was a touch faster than the L but only if you had a pro driving it in perfect conditions the L on the other hand was very consistant.

The SRT is definatly pricy ! But what is the tag going to be on the 05 L? Might just be up there with the others, look at the prices on the new Harley trucks built on the Superduty platform, and they arent SC anymore.

Comment

Speaking of the L anyone seen the new 5.4 block from Sean Hyland? You can order it with a 3.75" bore which works out to 6.0L. It isn't cheap but, imagine the possibilities
                        Bob
                        2001 Laser Red Mustang GT Coupe
                        Click Here for pics of my Mustang

Comment

Hey guys, looks like we hijacked this thread pretty good.

Sorry !

Hijacker 1 out.

Comment

Sorry about the hijacking

Very nice stang rjstaaf, I thoguth about a 04 myself, but got the 03 Cobra instead
                            -Kyle

2003 SVT Cobra - Redfire

Comment

Actually....I don't see it as a hijacking....you all have muscle cars too!!

As far as SVT is concerned I have read in Car & Driver and SVT Enthusiast Magazine (my work truck is an 02 L with 373 rwhp and 442 rwtrq...yes you CAN own a Ford and a GM and still sleep at night ) there will be no '05 SVT vehicles. Production of the '04 SVT models will end this spring/summer. The new Lightning will be the first release of the next generation (NXT...if you will ) of SVT vehicles as an '06 model. The '06 Cobra will follow shortly after and Ford/SVT have clearly stated that the BMW M3 is going to be its main competition...so expect it to handle like a champ (and go like stink) but have a MSRP to match. The SVT Focus has gone the way of the SVT Contour and will no longer be produced. The regular Focus line will receive some of the SVT suspension bits but the motor is gone.

Hope this helps!!

Keep it clean (and FAST),
                              Mike
                              2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
                              Bright Silver Metallic / Ebony Interior
                              ASC# 1,575
                              406 rwhp 392 rwtrq

Comment

hehe, I've owned Ford and GM at the same time before (T/A and Cobra) I'd take any car from back in the musclecar era though, it dosen't matter which, as long as it has enough beef
                                -Kyle

2003 SVT Cobra - Redfire

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');