• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re-Born Amateur Detailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-Born Amateur Detailer

I'll keep it short and sweet, I used to detail a lot growing up on family cars, always used Meguiar's 3-step, Paint Cleaner, Polish, Wax, -all done with a random orbital buffer, kind of got out of detailing until recently, purchased a 2001 Dark Metallic Green BMW Z3.

Simply put I am overwhelmed on where to start as far as the paint, specifically, cleaning the paint- I don't know which products to use, there are many more than when I was in the detailing scene.

Current condition, has a good (DEEP) gloss, light swirls, a few minor scratches/blemishes. I have properly washed it, and clayed.

I have two hands and a random orbital buffer. I don't have a ton of time or a ton of money to invest in the process, so keep that in consideration.

What paint cleaner should I use?

What polish should I use?

What wax should I use?

Application by hand ok?

I thank all of you very much, this forum is great!

Re: Re-Born Amateur Detailer

to MOL!

I would suggest reading this article to get you started: Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

I would highly suggest using Ultimate Compound as your paint cleaner and Ultimate Polish as your polish. You can buy both at Walmart. As for wax, that's really up to you. Ultimate Wax, NXT 2.0 and Gold Class are all good. For the longest lasting protection, then I would highly suggest the Ultimate Wax. But in terms of looks, it's highly subjective. If you already have a wax at home, then use that.

Hand application is definitely ok but it will take you longer and make your body more sore. If you can afford a dual action polisher such as the G110v2 or at least the Dual Action Power System, then go for that. Your body will thank you later. In addition, you'll achieve better and more even results and less time.

Here's my review of the Dual Action Power System: Review: Meguiar's DA Power System
    2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

If you have some Ult. Polish and Ult. Compound on your shelf, you should be able to handle most situations by hand or machine.

Can stick with the Ult. Wax if you want as well, esp for durability. Just be sure to read up on using it.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thank you both, any other advice from others? Amatuers or Pros?

Comment

I'm kind of in the same situation. I believe the Deep Crystal line up is still available. If not, the Ultimate line up has been excellent for me! The only thing I might do differently is use a different finishing wax, such as #26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax or Gold Class. But I believe the Ultimate line up can meet most of your needs.

Comment

I agree with the others. You will like the UC, UP, and ULW or UPW lineup. I used to do all by hand but purchasing the g110v2 was the best investment ever.

Comment

The Deep Crystal Cleaner is gone, so unless you really want a pure polish, the Ult. Polish makes more sense.

Comment

Ah, it is gone then...

Is the red bottle rubbing compound and polishing compound still abailable?

Comment

Yes they are still available.

Rubbing & Polishing Compound
                  2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Not sure, havent really seen it.

Little older-fashioned than the Ult. line anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');