• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Take on Wet Sanding with the DA polisher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Take on Wet Sanding with the DA polisher

I've been reading a lot of post here of people saying getting wet sanding scratches out near impossible with Meguiars DA polisher, I call boloney.

I have a lot of experience with using Farecla products to getting out 1500,2000 scratches but this was with a Makita Rotary polisher.

I decided to make an experiment for myself and brought home a silver MK4 Jetta fender, earlier during the week I ordered a Meguiars W-7000 Cutting pad and Meguiars Heavy-Cut Cleaner which is 8 on their cutting scale. I also had ultimate compound and the yellow polishing bad just in case I had some swirls left from the heavy cut compound.

I went to town with some 3M 2000 grit sandpaper and wet sanded by hand a 12"x12" area on the fender until all the orange peel and scratches were gone.

On went the burgandy cutting pad and heavy cut cleaner, set the DA to speed 5 and started polishing, went over the area a few times with good pressure and all the wet sanding marks were completely gone and the metal wasn't even that hot after, I was pretty amazed!

I wish I would have taken before pictures and ones after I sanded but here is the finished product, Maybe 15min work in total?

NOTE: This was ONLY with the Heavy-Cut Cleaner, I didnt go over with the finer Ultimate Compound.

That looks good but what if you IPA it? I have done this with luck sometimes and others dont, i guess it depends on the cc brand

Comment

Re: My Take on Wet Sanding with the DA polisher

No it doesn't depend on the cc brand . Urethane cc is all the same , once it dried . Spraying it is different . What Subaru wagon did is what to be expected if you use the correct products and procedures .

Comment

what is IPA?

Comment

Discussion on Meguiar's Professional Mirror Glaze, Professional Detailer, PRO Hybrid Ceramic & Other.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');