• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I stop my rotary from jumping around?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I stop my rotary from jumping around?

Hello - I used a rotary with wool pad to apply compound on a fiberglass boat. The wool pad liked to jump around quite a bit and was a monster to wrestle with. Sometimes I could get into a groove while others it was unbearable. I did spur on occation and it did seem to help a bit. Do I need to swap to a new pad more frequently? Thanks!

practice, practice, practice.
    what is happening is it is biting into the fiberglass. you have to learn how to control it.

why are you using such an aggressive approach to your fiberglass?
    a good cleaner wax on a foam pad or a marine compound might be a better a choice.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Re: How do I stop my rotary from jumping around?

Originally posted by Please Wash Me Detailing View Post
      practice, practice, practice.
      what is happening is it is biting into the fiberglass. you have to learn how to control it.

why are you using such an aggressive approach to your fiberglass?
      a good cleaner wax on a foam pad or a marine compound might be a better a choice.
      Thanks for the reply!
      The hull does have some oxidation and needs the aggressive mix that Buff Magic offers.

Aside from practice does anyone else have suggestions to stop the buffer from jumping?

Comment

Re: How do I stop my rotary from jumping around?

Originally posted by Deeman View Post
        Aside from practice does anyone else have suggestions to stop the buffer from jumping?
        Shake a can of pennies at it!

No...wait, that works with my dog.

I know this will sound counter-intuitive, but relax your grip and your stance a bit. You might be stiffening your upper body and locking your arms fighting the machine's rotation which will cause it to jump or bounce on you. Loosen up your grip a bit and try practicing on something else first (like a flat board or an old appliance like a washer, dryer, or freezer in the garage. Choose something that won't upset your wife if you mar it, LOL). Don't fight the rotary. When you watch other detailers who use rotary polishers frequently, you probably notice how smooth they glide the polisher over the paint. Check out these videos from Meguiars and take note of Mike Pennington's grip position and stance: 5 Video segments on wet-sanding and using a rotary buffer

Comment

Buff Magic will work just fine with a da and the megs red pad as well just so you know. I've used it with both polishers and more often then not the rotary is just overkill with buff magic since most oxidation is fairly light overall
          Even the best cars look like junk when they are not clean

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');