• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some advice (yea, one of those threads...) been out of the game for a while.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice (yea, one of those threads...) been out of the game for a while.

I've been out of the detailing world for almost two years now. Bought a "fix-er-upper" house that consumed everything. My cars were really neglected (car in my avatar hasn't really been driven since fall of 2011).

Today I got back into the game with a 2004 Sebring convertible I need to "clean up" and sell. Not in horrible shape, but typical daily use, trunk scratched up from stuff being set on it. Bumpers have parking lot rash etc.... Only 67k on the odo..

Anyway, started with my Meg's DA and a yellow pad, started with the "weakest" product on the shelf. Long story short I got to 105 and really wasn't happy with the results (I would have tried a red 6 1/2 pads but I don't have any at the moment).

I only have a pair of Harbor Freight rotaries, one red pad and a pair of SOLO wool pads. I decided to try the yellow SOLO with 105 - bingo!!!! Didn't take much and I was getting the results I was expecting.

So now onto the point of this thread. I have some cash saved up to get back into things. My head is spinning with all the choices out there. Either the "old faithful" Dewalt or Makita, the Flex (which I almost bought couple years ago) or the "new" Rupes..... Or just stick with my DA.

I'm also very low on chemicals so I'm looking into everything I've missed that's hit the market (like micro fiber pads....whoa).

My next project is a black Yukon Denali XL - full of swirls.... so the Rupes looks like a nice option for the larger "sweep" but that is the only large project I'll ever do. My other cars are small. Even doing the Sebring with an 8" wool pad was too big at times........

With the Sebring it worked using the "cheap-o" rotary for 105 than the DA for polish and hand applied the sealant.

Kind of lost, I have three cars in bad need of a full detail and I need to get some stuff ordered. I should be ok with just the DA, but using that rotary goes so much faster.....??

Re: Need some advice (yea, one of those threads...) been out of the game for a while.

[QUOTE=hacker-pschorr;532768]
    I'm also very low on chemicals so I'm looking into everything I've missed that's hit the market (like micro fiber pads....whoa).

If you don't have the 2013 catalogs, they may be helpful in pointing you in the right directions:

2018 Acura RLX Tech - Majestic Black Pearl

Comment

Re: Need some advice (yea, one of those threads...) been out of the game for a while.

You have to get the Rupes 21 Bigfoot!!!!
      DAMF 6" cutting and finishing pads
      M105
      M205

This combination is the answer to just about anything you come across.

The Rupes is a game changer and to use detailers, a life changer!
      Goog it.

http://www.buffdaddy.com/

DetailingByM.com

Comment

[QUOTE=Stephan;532771]
        Originally posted by hacker-pschorr View Post
        That 2nd link is perfect, thanks!!

Time to order some samples from ADS.

Originally posted by Please Wash Me Detailing View Post
        You have to get the Rupes 21 Bigfoot!!!!
        DAMF 6" cutting and finishing pads
        M105
        M205

This combination is the answer to just about anything you come across.

The Rupes is a game changer and to use detailers, a life changer!
        Goog it.

http://www.buffdaddy.com/
        I've watched more videos on the Rupes than I can count......

Some how I didn't realize they made a 5" and 6" version. So many decisions....

Comment

I haven't tried the Rupes yet, but I'm here to give an alternate. The Random Orbit head from Dynabrade attached to your HF rotary. http://www.autotoolworld.com/product...FSFyQgodXCoAdQ
          Gives you a 19mm throw (the Rupes is 21) so almost as large, and there is as much rotational power behind it as a Flex. It is also the most versatile option since you can fix it as a forced rotary with the flick of a switch or take the attachment off for a true rotary motion. The only thing it can't do is use under a 6" pad--that's where HF comes in again with their DA (or of course a name brand one like the Megs). Best part is you can get the attachment for $100, a DA for $100 and still have half your money left over compared to the Rupes. Like I said, I haven't tried the Rupes yet, but for those of us on a budget (and even some who aren't) the Dynabrade attachment is the answer.
          Brandon
          Custom Cleaning Concepts, LLC
          (435) 249-4CCC (4222)
          "When you want your ride as clean as can be, you need to call CCC!"

Comment

Originally posted by CCC4me View Post
            I haven't tried the Rupes yet, but I'm here to give an alternate. The Random Orbit head from Dynabrade attached to your HF rotary. http://www.autotoolworld.com/product...FSFyQgodXCoAdQ
            Gives you a 19mm throw (the Rupes is 21) so almost as large, and there is as much rotational power behind it as a Flex. It is also the most versatile option since you can fix it as a forced rotary with the flick of a switch or take the attachment off for a true rotary motion. The only thing it can't do is use under a 6" pad--that's where HF comes in again with their DA (or of course a name brand one like the Megs). Best part is you can get the attachment for $100, a DA for $100 and still have half your money left over compared to the Rupes. Like I said, I haven't tried the Rupes yet, but for those of us on a budget (and even some who aren't) the Dynabrade attachment is the answer.
            I remember looking into those, that still brings me back to the DeWalt or Makita since the HF unit leaves a lot to be desired. The speed control is, well...... just kind of picks random speeds at time (the first one I bought is stuck on full speed).

Comment

Ya... there are four different models of HF rotary and only one of them is good. Even at $170 for a Makita/Hitachi/DeWalt, the Dynabrade is a great deal in my mind.
              Brandon
              (435) 249-4CCC (4222)

Comment

If you have a Rupes then stick to that.

The 105 works great IMO

Comment

Or pick it up already attached to a Dynabrade polisher for under $300: http://www.autotoolworld.com/Dynabra..._p_136109.html
                  Brandon
                  (435) 249-4CCC (4222)

Comment

Originally posted by PureArt View Post
                    If you have a Rupes then stick to that.

The 105 works great IMO
                    Not yet.

I have the Meg's DA (both generations) and two "el-cheapo" Harbor Freight rotaries.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');