• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D151... proper technique?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you don't get any dust with 151? really? I always get dust with it.
    its not a bad product at all, just not for me.
    if you like it stick with it use what you like not what other people tell you to do.
    there are a lot of new products on the market that pop up every day. I'll try some but not every product is for everybody. my personal choice is always 105. D156 is incredibly durable.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Re: D151... proper technique?

The first time I used D151 I had some dusting like Mario said. However, the next time I did not. I did use less on the pad the second time around so maybe that had something to do with it. Overall, I like it and I use D156 over it. Mario, is it just me or do you find D156 to be more durable than UQW? I know they're supposed to basically be the same, but man oh man, I get much longer lasting results from D156. In fact I just quickly washed my mom's car over a month ago and threw on one quick coat and it's still beading! Keep in mind that this car hasn't been clayed in about 2 years and does not get washed often lol.

Comment

Yes, you Troll, lol.

D156 is highly durable, there's a reason we put it on the B24 Witchcraft Bomber, durability.

D151 was made for the Auction business. Where they have 200 cars to do and no idea what's ever been done to them.
        Auction "detailing" is fast pace and where "ok" results are the norm.
        So if you can figure out "how" to use D151 then I'm sure it will be fine.
        All of Meguiar's products are good, some better then others and it depends on what product your using on certain paint.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

So, I'll tread back into this post, since I created it... and since I have used D151... of which I have more questions... looking for feedback.

Scenario: '04 GMC Yukon (mom-taxi)
          D/A: PC
          Pads: Orange 5.5" B&S pads (tried yellow but there was a small bit of micro hazing, much better finish with Orange)
          Speed: 5
          Section size(s)- 24" ranging down to 18"

Short work time... I'm getting like 2-3 passes and the stuff is GONE. Very little 'haze' to remove.
          Dust: some dust... nothing horrible but it's there

I've tried ALL of the obvious... smaller sections/ less product/ cleaning pad after every section/ slower speed/ more speed/ more product/ priming pad/ not priming pad/
          more pressure/ less pressure/ faster arm speed/ slower arm speed. None of these variables changed the fact that after 2- 3 passes the section was almost dry and I couldn't work the section any further. Plus, there was very little haze/ residue/ spent product to remove. I was of the understanding that there would be more of a 'film/ haze' to remove similar to a wax. Well, some haze is there but mostly where I shut off the D/A at. There wasn't much more 'haze' or residue to remove?

I'm not sure I'm finding the sweet spot with D151. I feel like I'm leaving something on the table with this product in the way I'm using it. The product work time (pretty short in my experience) and not being able to complete 3 passes for a section before the liquid is gone is throwing up 'red flags'. So most likely it's user error at play here.

As a side bar, the Yukon is pretty hammered.... heavy oxidation/ tunnel washes... has not seen a coat of wax in 8+ year. Not looking for even 70% correction here... just want the majority of water spotting and swirls to go. I was changing pads every 3/4 of panel... they were just caked with ****.

I should add that D151 has eaten up all the water spotting and the swirling which I found impressive.

So... is the short work time and very little 'haze' or residue what others have experienced?

Thanks for your feedback,
          -Dellinger

Comment

Yes it has a short working time, it is def. a pad dependent product and you have to play around with combos depending on the paint hardness you are working on, as far as haze is concerned you have to let D151 dry to a haze. Depending on weather and humidity could take 15-20 mins. If you wipe off immediately you are reducing the longevity and durability of D151.

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
            "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

Thank you sir. That makes me feel better on the work time.

I'll be more patient with the wipe off.

Comment

I just did a quickie this week using Paint Reconditioning Creme and for the first time I had a bit of difficulty removing the haze. Might have been the warm temperatures and high humidity. I needed to moisten the wipe off microfiber with some dilute Last Touch.

Not trying to perform a major correction, I used some no name pad with a texture between a Meguiar's yellow and black pads and speed 4 on a Flex. Great results.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                David

Comment

Just wanted to write some final thoughts after I finished up my last job with D151 and these findings are more-or-less how it worked for me... (again 1st time with D151)

A primed pad seemed to work best. I added 4 nickle size drops of PRC onto the pad for the first section. Every section after that was 3 nickle sized drops. I cleaned the pad every 2 sections. I could get probably 2 panels done with one pad but it was stretching it. I would start to get dusting after about a panel in and the more sections I tried to finish with the one pad, the more pronounced the dusting became. For the technique- I used heavy pressure, slow-med arm speed, speed 5.5 for two passes; then I dropped the speed back to 3, back off on all pressure with just the weight of the machine on the pad, and then PRC would return to the face of the pad and I could spread the 'haze' over the section. Section size was probably 1.5' X 1.5'. Tried using orange, yellow, and MF pads... I ended up using an orange pad.

I wrote this mostly for future people who 1st try 151. At first I just didn't get this 151 stuff but now I see how it should be worked. The cut was pretty darn good... eliminated some nasty water spotting and the swirls are gone. I'm sure the more I use it the more I'll appreciate an AIO.

Comment

Anyone tried D151 on Audi paint? I want to do a one step on a 2012 Audi A3 with some minor swirls. ColorX didn't remove all of the swirls (Audi paint is supposed to be quite hard) and I'm wondering if I should get some D151.
                    Originally posted by Blueline
                    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
                      Anyone tried D151 on Audi paint? I want to do a one step on a 2012 Audi A3 with some minor swirls. ColorX didn't remove all of the swirls (Audi paint is supposed to be quite hard) and I'm wondering if I should get some D151.
                      No, but on hard paint D151 with a MF cutting disc works wonders.

Comment

Thanks.
                        So with the MF pads, is D151 normally your last step or do you then go to D301 or another wax?
                        I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
                          Thanks.
                          So with the MF pads, is D151 normally your last step or do you then go to D301 or another wax?
                          Let it dry to a haze and then remove. If you want you can top it with another wax. I like to top it with D156. I use D156 as a final wipe.

Comment

I used D156 as a final wipe/ additional protection.

Comment

Originally posted by Meticulous-Detail View Post
                              Let it dry to a haze and then remove. If you want you can top it with another wax. I like to top it with D156. I use D156 as a final wipe.
                              Nice , thanks.
                              Yeah I was thinking D156 too. That's what I did after the ColorX. Just need the extra cutting ability next time, whilst still doing a one-step.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');