• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought a new car, could use a little advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a new car, could use a little advice please

Just purchased our first new car, I would like to get some supplies to take care of the paint. I've been trying to read up, but a lot of this is confusing, hoping you guys could answer a couple questions for me.

I have always like meguires products, this is what i have acquired so far-

6 supreme shine towels
    2 microfiber wash mits
    bottle of GC wash and conditioner
    smooth surface clay kit
    bottle of ultimate quik wax

i was planning to buy these today-

water magnet drying towel
    ultimate paste wax
    quik interior detail cleaner
    NXT generation glass cleaner

Does that look like a good list of products to get me started? Anything you would suggest that I missed? The car is brand new, but the paint is not smooth like glass, so i had planned to give it a good wash and dry, then doing a clay bar over the entire vehicle. Then I planned to use the ultimate paste wax (by hand). I've been watching videos online, and i see that normally you woudl use a polish after the clay and before the wax, but is that really necessary on a brand new car?

Also, after i do the clay bar with the quik detailer, do i need to wash again before the wax?

There are a couple pieces of chrome on the new vehicle, on the front grille, along the bottom, and a little on the back. When i do the wax, do i also do the chrome, or do i need to keep it off of the chrome? i have added a pic of the car and the color just so you could see the chrome and car color.

Thanks for any help

Re: Bought a new car, could use a little advice please

your stuff looks good.
    wax as offten as you'd like but in all reality 4-6 months
    no need to wash before waxing
    You can wax chrome

DetailingByM.com

Comment

I would go liquid instead of paste. Easier to apply thin, no significant difference in performance. If you're applying by hand, you would be advised to get foam applicator pads. They're hard to find locally these days, Meguiar's makes them, inexpensive but you may have to mail order.

You should pick up a bottle of Meg's Wash and Wax Anywhere in case a bird doesn't like you and you can't get a wash going anytime soom. A quik shot of WWA and you can clean that up fast!

Enjoy your new wheels!!!
      2018 Acura RLX Tech - Majestic Black Pearl

Comment

I like a cleaner/wax after clay, then wax.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Please Wash Me Detailing View Post
          your stuff looks good.
          wax as offten as you'd like but in all reality 4-6 months
          no need to wash before waxing
          You can wax chrome
          thanks

Originally posted by Stephan View Post
          I would go liquid instead of paste. Easier to apply thin, no significant difference in performance. If you're applying by hand, you would be advised to get foam applicator pads. They're hard to find locally these days, Meguiar's makes them, inexpensive but you may have to mail order.

You should pick up a bottle of Meg's Wash and Wax Anywhere in case a bird doesn't like you and you can't get a wash going anytime soom. A quik shot of WWA and you can clean that up fast!

Enjoy your new wheels!!!
          thanks for the reply. i have worked with paste waxes before( a long time ago) and just am more comfortable with them. i may try the liquid if i pick up the DA system.

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
          I like a cleaner/wax after clay, then wax.
          i've never used a cleaner wax before, would you use it on a brand new car? what is the proper way to use the cleaner/wax? i assume i do a wash/dry, then clay, then apply and remove the cleaner wax. then do i just apply the ultimate wax over the cleaner wax?

Also, what are your guys thoughts on the DA power system(the one that uses a drill)? am i better off to purchase that than doing this by hand? since i've never used a power system i'm worried about potentially damaging the paint finish. are the results much different using that DA than by hand?

Comment

I would wash, clay......use either a QD or a Waterless Wash before waxing. Polishing by hand isn't that bad and it will give it that little extra shine that most cars don't have, but is not required. I wouldn't use a cleaner wax, don't see the need for it after claying.

Comment

Originally posted by 07gtcs View Post
              I would wash, clay......use either a QD or a Waterless Wash before waxing. Polishing by hand isn't that bad and it will give it that little extra shine that most cars don't have, but is not required. I wouldn't use a cleaner wax, don't see the need for it after claying.
              If the surface is dirty enough to clay, probably can have the pores/imperfections cleaned as well.

Comment

Originally posted by 07gtcs View Post
                If the surface is dirty enough to clay, probably can have the pores/imperfections cleaned as well.

Comment

Originally posted by detroit_fan View Post
                  i've never used a cleaner wax before, would you use it on a brand new car? what is the proper way to use the cleaner/wax? i assume i do a wash/dry, then clay, then apply and remove the cleaner wax. then do i just apply the ultimate wax over the cleaner wax?

Also, what are your guys thoughts on the DA power system(the one that uses a drill)? am i better off to purchase that than doing this by hand? since i've never used a power system i'm worried about potentially damaging the paint finish. are the results much different using that DA than by hand?
                  yes, the cleaner/wax would be applied, then dry, then remove.

Sure on a new car.... esp if the surface feels dirty. Want it clean before waxing.

The Power System is great to speed things up, esp the cleaning steps. Esp with cleaner/ waxes and waxes, you will be staying very mild and low posture the whole time.

Comment

yes, the cleaner/wax would be applied, then dry, then remove.

Sure on a new car.... esp if the surface feels dirty. Want it clean before waxing.

The Power System is great to speed things up, esp the cleaning steps. Esp with cleaner/ waxes and waxes, you will be staying very mild and low posture the whole time.
                    i see online a kit that comes with DA tool, DA wax pad, DA polish pad, and DA compound pad, 3 microfiber towels, Meguiar's ultimate compound, ultimate wax, and ultimate polish. i'm wondering if that may be the best way for me to go.

i also have a 2001 car that has horrible looking paint, i'm thinking maybe that kit would allow me to shine that one up a little too.

is there any chance i could damage my new car with the da tool since i am inexperienced? that was the main reason i was leaning towards the past/hand, i had always been told you could damage a car with a power one if you didn't know what you are doing.

Comment

Low pressure that was....

Comment

That kit sounds interesting, though may want more than one of each pad. At least the compound ones.

Just want to start mild at first... do the cleaner/wax and wax with mild pads, and you will get a feel for it real quick. That's what I did first.

Then your stronger cleaning jobs after.

Comment

That kit sounds interesting, though may want more than one of each pad. At least the compound ones.

Just want to start mild at first... do the cleaner/wax and wax with mild pads, and you will get a feel for it real quick. That's what I did first.

Then your stronger cleaning jobs after.
                          thanks. here is a link to the kit in case you are interested-

Comment

^ check the warehouse section of Amazon....some deals there

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_...qid=1374690698
                            "STRIFE" aka Phil
                            2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (IP/ aka White) the Toy
                            2011 Subaru Impreza (SWP/ aka White) the DD
                            2017 Subaru Forester (CWP/ aka White) Wifey's

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

The DA hooked to a drill had me confused until I looked at the Amazon listing. DA polishers mainly need to have some "throw" to it so it won't spin exactly like a rotary since the rotaries are known to do damage if used incorrectly. That listing claims it is a true dual action if hooked up correctly.

If it was me I would just do it by hand or save up for one of the DA's that we on the forum typically use. I own a Griots 6 inch, but the Porter Cable 7424 or Meguiar's DA polisher would be my next choice. They should be easier to handle than a drill mounted one since they're designed for buffing cleaner/waxes. I realize we're talking about twice as much money. On Autogeek now the Griots 6 inch is $140, Porter Cable 7424 is $120, and the Meguiar's DA polisher is $160. Thirty to fifty extra should get you a kit with some nice buffing pads depending on which polisher you go with. I called Autogeek customer service to check on the warranty also beforehand, like anything you can get a bad one, so you'll want to see how long they honor the warranty.

If you pass on the polisher or drill kit above, waxing by hand should be plenty good for as long as your arms can handle it. My car is a '98 and I didn't finally get a DA polisher until last year. Even buffing out imperfections can be done well as long as you put a little elbow grease into it.

Just my two cents... Enjoy your new car and let us know how the first wash/wax goes!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');