• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tape adhesive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tape adhesive

I thought I was using some okay automotive tape that I got from Harbor Freight. Come to use it, I noticed that this stuff wasn't great at all. It ended up leaving a lot of adhesive residue that was a pita to get rid of. I would of been better off not using any tape at all. I was wondering, what products would be good to get rid of tough adhesive residue that's been stuck on the plastic such as rear brake lights? I tried using clay with poor results. I instead used warm water with car soap...and a lot of elbow grease with a microfiber towel.

Re: tape adhesive

Use lacquer thinner. It will come off in a few seconds.

Comment

Did you have it outside in hot sunlight? Extreme heat can do that sometimes.

I've only used SCOTCH Blue multisurface original, got it at Home Depot, no problems in hot indoor conditions with no sun.
      2018 Acura RLX Tech - Majestic Black Pearl

Comment

You can also burn the tape as well. What this means is you take the tape and place it on your clothes to make it less sticky. Also be sure you pull it off at a 90 degree angle.
        Rupes 21 / Flex 3401 / G110v2 / GG3"
        Thoryamaha919 AKA Evan
        Click and Like my Facebook Page

Comment

WD40 works great.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

you're right, only the rear tail lights which was hitting the sun seem to have the issue. The garage was hot overall since its like 110deg here. I will try the WD40 method as I have that readily available.

Comment

Originally posted by KidDetailer View Post
              .......I will try the WD40 method as I have that readily available.
              Exactly why I suggest it. I learned about WD40 removed adhesive when I was a kid. My mom would remove price stickers from presents she was giving. I never looked back.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Glad this came up, I have to remove some tape residue from my car as well. I've used Meg's detailing tape and 3M light blue painter's tape. That sun will bake the adhesive on in no time.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');