• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bay Area Porsche Club Car Care Clinic Recap & Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bay Area Porsche Club Car Care Clinic Recap & Photos

Bay Area Porsche Club Car Care Clinic Recap & Photos

On Saturday March 30th I helped Jeff Brown (Senior Area Sales Manager with Meguiar's) out with the Car Care Clinic for the Porsche Club of America’s local members of both the Diablo and Golden Gate Regions. Thanks again to our friends at California Car Color www.californiacarcolor.com in San Carlos for hosting this event for us.

The turnout was nothing short of spectacular and the attendees were even more involved/engaged than the BMW M5 owners were at the last previous clinic we organized in October '04. There was nearly every Porsche model represented from a beautiful unrestored ’67 912 to a nearly new Speed Yellow GT3. There was also a very rare, unique and fast Ruf BTR there as well.

This involvement/engagement demonstrated by the attendees went as far as having the owners of about six of the cars clay their entire cars during the clinic after Jeff had demonstrated the process on one of the cars prior to their deciding to simply go for it in a sense. Amazing since most that attend these clinics are quite apprehensive to tackle their own cars until they have had a chance to practice on something less personal. These guys certainly were not shy, as they quickly grabbed the clay and Last Touch and went at it while we diverted the others back to the second classroom session/PowerPoint presentation segment of the clinic. Truly a hands on session for everyone that wanted to participate in such a manner.

The first classroom session covered everything from the history of Meguiar’s to a complete overview of the current product offerings from Meguiar’s including all of the new brushes and other tools to make the detailing task a bit easier for anyone using them. One very key thing in my opinion was when Jeff asked the crowd what they wanted to learn about during the clinic, as the responses then led him into the appropriate demos as the clinic evolved through the day. Doing this ensured that existing detailing issues that anyone may have had prior to the clinic were virtually eliminated as a result thereof. Although I noticed that there was a bit of information/knowledge overload for a few at times I know that everyone learned a ton about every aspect of proper detailing techniques which will all surely be practiced by all attending.

From the classroom session Jeff went into minor surface defect removal on one Porsche and then demonstrated the proper claying process on another. He then followed the claying demonstration with a complete wipe down (quick detailing) of the second car while using only Last Touch. This was achieved in only a matter of minutes much to the amazement of those witnessing Jeff working quite quickly at this task.

After this we returned everyone to the inside area that served as the classroom area and continued with the informational overview phase where more detailed information was presented in regard to various detailing steps, etc. From here we moved the group just outside where Jeff demonstrated the proper use of the G100 to the eager to learn crowd. I know that there will be a virtual “no fear� type attitude for anyone that decides to use the information gained here to buff their own car(s) at a later date. There was no intimidation factor evident whatsoever amongst the crowd as Jeff demonstrated the G100 and its polishing capabilities.

Next we went through the complete washing/cleaning process of Francisco’s beautiful silver Carrera coupe. The series of photos below will show you that we had much participation from both the cars owner as well as others that offered to help out as well. This was truly a group learning process that was also hands on for a number of attendees as well. The newly released Meguiar’s brushes, etc. were all used and demonstrated in this segment of the clinic. Although some of the photos may first appear a bit redundant I have included each of them for a specific reason since they each capture something a bit different than the others. This should then walk everyone through the proper washing/cleaning process as demonstrated at this recent Meguiar’s Car Care Clinic here in the Bay Area.

Nobody walked away disappointed I’m sure, as our host sold out a number of Meguiar’s products after having brought in additional resources just for this clinic. I certainly hope that everyone tasking a look at this post enjoys the photos, as both Jeff and I definitely enjoyed working with the local Porsche Club members at this clinic. This weekend it’s the Audi Club and I will provide the appropriate write-up and photos once we have completed this clinic as well.

Regards,

Ken Little

Enjoy the photos…

And a good time was had by all…

The Diablo Region PCA would like to thank Meguiars!

Ken,

On behalf of the Diablo Region PCA and all of the other Porsche owners who attended, I would like to thank both you and Jeff, as well as the good people of California Car Color for giving us the opportunity to learn new things and experience a really good clinic.

Meguiars went out of it's way to treat us right and I can only say that because of vendors like you, being "Car Crazy" is a very good thing!

On Sunday morning I decided to try out the items that I had purchased from Meguiars. My car has minor swirl marks all over it and I decided to tackle them on the rear trunk lid for now. I washed it first, then clayed it. It came out remarkably smooth. I then took out the PC and put on a polishing pad and applied a little of the Swirl Remover on it. Slowly, I worked it over the entire trunk lid. After that I buffed it off using a microfiber towel. It already looked great and with little or no swirl marks to be seen. I then put a finishing pad onto the PC and then applied some of the Synthetic Sealant. That went on beautifully and I left it to cure about a half an hour. I finally took that off with another microfiber towel and just like he said, the finish was slightly darker… with no swirl marks whatsoever!

I am sure that many of the other owners there were probably also trying out their new items the next day... and I bet that every one of them had the same success that I had.

Rob Haitsma
    Vice President, Webmaster
    Diablo Region PCA
    Porsche Club of America
    1989 Porsche 928S4 - Silver Metallic
    1990 Porsche 928S4 - Guards Red
    2000 Porsche Boxster - Ocean Blue

Comment

Thank You Rob

Rob,

I did not get to express my appreciation for you coordinating this event. I want you to know, you are sincerely appreciated by myself and Meguiar's. It is enthusiasts like you, that bring your friends together to allow us to spread the word so to speak. If you couldn't tell on Saturday....I am passionate about Meguiar's and what it can do for our fellow car lovers. I truly enjoyed it! You went out of your way to make the event even better by supplying my favorite Starbucks and goodies. It was my pleasure to be able to spend my Saturday with you and the crew. If there is any way you can bring your fellow Porsche enthusiasts over to the www.meguiarsonline.com scene it would be appreciated. I check in occassionaly and would be happy to answer any questions they may have. Have them reply to this post for now and I will get back to them.

Warmest Regards, Rob
      Thanks again!!!

Jeff Brown
      Senior Area Sales Manager
      Meguiar's Inc.
      Do it right the first time

Comment

Hey Rob:

You hit the proverbial nail square on the head here with your opening paragraph, as being around like minded car enthusiasts and having fun while learning about car care is always a winning recipe regardless. I think that Jeff and I could have gone all day with this last clinic and we would have still had a captive audience of Porsche owners/enthusiasts there as well until the end. Your groups being very outgoing and energetic made the whole thing that much easier for both Jeff and I in return. It’s all about group participation and your Club(s) actively participated from the moment everyone arrived. We couldn’t have asked for a better audience for a Surface Care/Detailing Clinic.

The fact that you went out and worked on your car the following day with the Meguiar’s products and tools picked up from CCC after the clinic proves that all of you received tremendous value-add from the clinic. That’s truly a win-win situation where anyone learns something new and then goes right out and applies it the very next day in their own surroundings. This certainly does not surprise me after seeing all of the PCA members’ “hands in motion� throughout the clinic on Saturday. I had a tough time trimming down the number of photos used for this post, as there were so many of you that had actively participated in cleaning/detailing both your own cars as well as Francisco’s car used for the demo.

Just as Jeff had mentioned towards the end of the clinic on Saturday, I think we should circle back to your Club(s) in a few months and do a follow up clinic that is of a more advanced nature. You guys/gals are perfect candidates for such a clinic where color sanding and buffing with an orbital buffer can yield removal of the more severe paint defects and or scratches. Then we can also detail a Porsche engine as well as remove a wheel to thoroughly detail it and the wheel well of the car as well. I’ll also speak for Jeff here by mentioning that we’d be more than glad to do this for your club later this year. This would also be a great way to find out what the others had learned and applied themselves after having attended the most recent clinic last weekend. Keep us posted if this makes sense to you as well.

BTW, if we do a second clinic for your club I have only one simple request. That request is that you drive the 928S4 this time since it is one of my all time favorite cars from Porsche. Additionally, one of your club’s members had invited me to the Clean Car event coming up later this month (I believe) and I’ll definitely try to drop by for it as well.

Regards,

Ken Little

Comment

Jeff, Rob:

I thought that I'd post the link to some additional photos that I'm guessing are from Ron or at least he is apparently hosting them anyway.

Here is the URL:

It made sense to post this, as these photos show more of the cars as well as the people that attended the PCA Clinic where my photos focused more on those with hands in motion instead.

BTW, Jeff I thought that you'd like the second photo on this page. ;-)

Regards,

Ken Little

Comment

Wow Great photos Rob

Rob, Thanks for taking all the sweet photos. They really capture amount of people who attended the class. I am on a diet now after seeing those photos!!!! I am not kidding. Appreciate you
            Jeff

Comment

Bump

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');