• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions on best DA polisher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions on best DA polisher

I am currently in the market for a DA polisher, a first for me. I have found megs, griots, flex, rupes?, and pc. What would the group out there recommend. Money isn't an issue as far as these DAs are priced. I just want the best. I noticed a 200 dollar difference between them. What makes one better? Also what pads, polishes, backing plates etc should I also look at purchasing? Thank you.

Re: Suggestions on best DA polisher

there are two major differences in design of the units between the Flex and all the other machines you listed.

1. design of the spindle mechanism.

the Flex is unique being a direct drive unit (forced rotation) whereby the pad WILL not stop moving rotating or oscillating. this design will in theory achieve better results quicker because the pad is always rotating and oscilating, thereby creating the maximum cut/polish.

the other machines are all free floating spindle design. this is unique because when the pad is subjected to too much pressure, not held flat to the surface, or is moved over body lines (impressions/corners) the pad will stop rotating (maybe even oscilating) and the machine will not be cutting. you need both rotation and oscilation to achieve correction.

One COULD argue that the free floating spindle machines are safer than the Flex, but i still dont think you can damage the paint like a rotary in the hands of an inexperienced user, unless you drop the machine on the paint.

2. pad rotation

The Flex has a bit of a learning curve because of the forced rotation design, plus it rotates counter clockwise. It is something to consider, because all the other machine rotate clockwise and so has every other machine you have previously used. BUT, there is nothing wrong with the Flex machine. it is an excellent high quality machine.

I would suggest that as a hobbyist, the GG machine is the best bang for the buck, because it has a good amount of power, and a lifetime warranty.

Ive also had a few PC's and they are hit or miss for me. some are really noisy and vibrate the hell out of your hands, but others have been smooth as butter.

there is alot of hype about the rupes being the cats meow, but ive yet to get my hands on one to try. the theory of the larger stroke on the rupes machine also tends to indicate it will correct faster, and it has been reported to be very quiet and smooth as well.

Comment

Get a rupes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or a Meg's

Do not get a PC or a Giots. They shake wayyyyyyy to much and you'll hate it the second you turn it on.

The Flex is a great mechine but the Rupes is the king!

DetailingByM.com

Comment

I'm not a detailing professional.. I am quite happy with the Griots gagrage. The company actually gives you 6 months to try the polisher if you order it directly from Griots Garage.

I personally would save that money and buy other things like towels, pads, and other car detailing accessories.

Comment

Well if $$$ is not an issue, then Rupes all the way!
          But for myself, I have the Megs G110v2, GG3, and GG6....I absolutely love all 3 DAs. I am not a pro nor do I detail for $, but I can maintain a new car look on my 2003 MPV, 2005 G35 and 2011 Impreza with these 3 machines. I may get the Rupes just because...?
          Get whatever you want, you'll be happy to have a DA

Btw...i read here that the Rupes are almost effortless to use....maybe Marc can chime in?
          "STRIFE" aka Phil
          2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (IP/ aka White) the Toy
          2011 Subaru Impreza (SWP/ aka White) the DD
          2017 Subaru Forester (CWP/ aka White) Wifey's

Comment

Originally posted by Please Wash Me Detailing View Post
            Get a rupes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or a Meg's

Do not get a PC or a Giots. They shake wayyyyyyy to much and you'll hate it the second you turn it on.

The Flex is a great mechine but the Rupes is the king!
            Let me get this right, are you saying that the Rupes has less vibration/shake, etc or it just does a better job of polishing? I am looking for the machine with the least amount of vibration/shake. My PC does have some vibration that I can do without. Which Rupes would you recommend?

Comment

Rupes 21 is the best Dual Action polisher on the market today.
              Rupes 15 is second
              Third is Meg's G110 or a Flex (but a Flex is a "Forced Rotation" so not in the same catagory as these)
              Forth is Meg's G100
              Fifth is an old Porter Cable/G100
              All others fall short of these 5

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Originally posted by Please Wash Me Detailing View Post
                Rupes 21 is the best Dual Action polisher on the market today.
                Rupes 15 is second
                Third is Meg's G110 or a Flex (but a Flex is a "Forced Rotation" so not in the same catagory as these)
                Forth is Meg's G100
                Fifth is an old Porter Cable/G100
                All others fall short of these 5
                To add to this the Rupes is really effortless to use when it come to polishing. No need for any downward pressure on the head of the machine at all.
                Rupes 21 / Flex 3401 / G110v2 / GG3"
                Thoryamaha919 AKA Evan
                Click and Like my Facebook Page

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

FYI autogeek is having a 24 hour sale with no exclusions and free shipping over $125. So it's a great time to buy a polisher.
                    99 Grand Prix
                    02 Camaro SS

Comment

FYI...another good vendor with a labor day sale.
                      Detailing.com has the Rupes 21 for $359.97 plus 15% off and FREE shipping
                      Rupes Big Foot 6-inch, 21mm orbit electronic random orbital polisher with anti-spinning system. Suitable for all polishing operations, including the removal of scratches and refinishing operations. It performs the same operations as traditional polishers, but it is easier to handle and delivers superior finishes.
                      "STRIFE" aka Phil
                      2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (IP/ aka White) the Toy
                      2011 Subaru Impreza (SWP/ aka White) the DD
                      2017 Subaru Forester (CWP/ aka White) Wifey's

Comment

Originally posted by STRIFE View Post
                        FYI...another good vendor with a labor day sale.
                        Detailing.com has the Rupes 21 for $359.97 plus 15% off and FREE shipping
                        http://www.detailing.com/store/rupes...1mm-orbit.html
                        Also a good deal and a longer sale. It's a great store to visit.
                        99 Grand Prix
                        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');