• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1965 Red Mustang Convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 Red Mustang Convertible

Alright, I've been on here a while, but never posted any threads to this part of the forum, I figured, why not, so here goes.

This afternoon I detailed a cherry red 1965 Mustang Convertible; the car had been pretty well taken care of and repainted at some point, but it was in need of a little love. The biggest issue was that the car had been accidentally left outside for a week (usually garaged) while the owner went on vacation and the sprinkler system soaked the car daily. The hot sun then baked the water onto the car (well water at that) each afternoon. Needless to say, the water spots were quite bad. There were also a pretty decent amount of spiderweb surface scratches in the clear coat; the owner was less concerned about these, so it wasn't a full paint correction, but still decently extensive.

Being that I wasn't intending on doing a write-up, I failed to go through the car and take a bunch of before shots to show all the water spots I did get a couple to show some of the spiderwebs as I was planning on doing a simple before and after shot of the hood. Sun was minimal through the trees, so these are the best I got, but this is what the entire car looked like (plus water spots that didn't show up in these before pics).

So, the process:
    -Did a waterless wash with RFEW in a trigger sprayer.
    -Followed this with a once over with clay (there was very little contamination, so I didn't need to pull out the Speedy Prep Towel)
    -Cleaned the wheels, tires and white soft top with RFEW at about a 30:1 dilution (great cleaner BTW)
    -Since I wasn't after a full paint correction, I decided to try out a system that Mario (Please Wash Me Detailing) has mentioned a couple times and used M205 with a MF cutting disc - it worked extremely well, had great results, and left it LSP ready
    -The trunk lid had the worst of the water spots so I did have to go over it with M105 and a cutting disc first to completely remove those
    -Followed M205 with a coat of M26
    -Dressed the tires with ASD and did a quick polish of all the chrome with RFEW at 30:1

Here's the same area as the two before pictures although the sun moved and was now shaded so not the best "proof" shot.

I did get a couple with the sun through the trees on another area of the hood though

And some more pictures from around the car.

I hope you guys like; I'll try to get some more before shots and better direct sun shots with future threads I post.
    Dynamic Detailing

Website | Instagram | Facebook

Re: 1965 Red Mustang Convertible

Nice job! But that's expected from you!

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Looks great. The red paint really pops.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Amazing reflection... now I wanna 60's Mustang =/ lol

Comment

When i was younger...these were cars I drooooled for

Nice work!!
          "STRIFE" aka Phil
          2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (IP/ aka White) the Toy
          2011 Subaru Impreza (SWP/ aka White) the DD
          2017 Subaru Forester (CWP/ aka White) Wifey's

Comment

Thanks for the comments and kind words guys!! This car was a lot of fun to work on and the customer loved the final outcome. And yeah, detailing one makes me want one even more, although I'd personally lean toward the '69 model
            Dynamic Detailing

Comment

Beautiful work ! The paint looks wet. Amazing results. How long did it take to do ?

Comment

Originally posted by sjb89 View Post
                Beautiful work ! The paint looks wet. Amazing results. How long did it take to do ?
                Thanks, it did look wet in person too, it was a really nice color that really popped after the detail.

It wasn't a 'full' paint correction and the wash and clay part was relatively quick (no interior either), so the most time was spent on polishing with M205. In total it was just under 4 hours.
                Dynamic Detailing

Comment

Very nice! I love Mustangs!
                  2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual

Comment

Nice job and definitely a classic!
                    2011 Ford Mustang GT Cali Special
                    2012 Kia Sorento EX

Comment