• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swirls all over on a new paint job at dealer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swirls all over on a new paint job at dealer.

I have an '09 Acura TL. There was slight pitting on the roof that a bodyshop guy told me was "checking" - that the paint underneath was cracking.
    I have Coral Black Pearl paint, and I read on an Acura forum that this is a known problem with the either '08 or '10 CBP paint.

My 4 year warranty was coming to an end, and the Service Manager - Joe - at a local Acura dealer where I get my work done was first telling me that it's not checking but something had gotten on the paint causing that.

His solution was to have his detailing guy work on it to try to get it better.
    The detailer told me he wouldn't be able to help that.

Joe then changed his mind, and told me to bring in the car and he'd have the roof painted.

When I brought it in, I happened to see him. He told me that I wouldn't get the car back for about 3-4 weeks.
    This took me by surprise, and when I asked why, he said they were having the car totally repainted.
    This didn't really make sense to me - why they were going to do the whole car rather than repaint.

However, I'm planning on keeping the car, so an effect on resale doesn't bother me.
    And the car had some light scratches in a few places which he'd originally said he'd have his detail guy work on them, but this sounded like a good deal to me - having the car repainted after 4 years, so why not.
    He said they're going to take off the doors, go down to the bare metal, etc.

I saw the car for the 1st time last Wednesday, and it needed a cleaning - it had been outside for about a week after being painted.
    But I could see that it had as many swirls on the trunk lid as it did when I brought it in after owning it for 4 years.
    I even wondered if it had actually been painted - as mentioned, it needed a cleaning from dust and water spots especially from recent rain, so I couldn't see the shiny new car paint job look at that point.

He looked at it and said "I'm not happy right now", and there was also an issue with a fender having a slightly larger gap than it should where it meets the side body, so he sent it back to the body shop.

Meanwhile, I researched swirls, and most of the top entries on Google brought me to this forum and previous threads relating to swirls.

I called Joe 2 days later - last Friday (2 days ago). He told me that it's back from the body shop that did the paint job and ready to pick up.

I told him what I'd read - that a fresh paint job should have no swirls.
    I also told him that based on what I'd read, I was afraid that the body shop may have just put glaze on the car to fill in the swirls.

He told me that anyone can say anything on the internet, it means nothing. (He's said the same thing in the past if I bring up something I've read on the net).
    He said he doesn't know what glaze is, that new cars on his lot have swirls, all cars have swirls.

He said the bodyshop buffed it and the swirls are less, and they polished it.
    QUESTION - (Can a paint job 1 week old be buffed?).

He mentioned a lot of irrelevant items - How long he's been doing this, that it's a professional bodyshop that did the job, how much Acura spent on the paint job (before it went in he said Acura was going to pay 6k, and he now says with some additional body work they had to do when they got to the metal, and new emblems and other parts they replaced, that they spent 8k).
    He said "It is what it is".

I know from a number of swirl articles I read on this excellent site, that the point of view here is that a fresh paint job has no swirls.
    That swirls are scratches in the clear coat, and they are usually caused by rubbing the car with a cleaning cloth which is dirty or the car has some dirt.

He finally said, "Come in and see the car and we'll talk after you see it".

So what would you guys advise?

I've had a good relationship with Joe the service manager and the service department (did not purchase car here).
    I know they are very concerned with getting a "10" approval rating on work they do - Joe sends out an email after getting the car serviced there, stating that if there is any reason that the customer would not give a "10" if they are called for a survey by Acura, to call him personally and he will do whatever he can. And he's mentioned that once or twice to me also.

He finally said, "Come in and see the car and we'll talk after you see it".

My conclusion based on my reading here and elsewhere is that the best solution would be to have his detail guy spend as much time as it will take (a lot) going over the car with clay to work out the swirls.
    I asked him if the body shop worked on the car with clay when he brought it back to them - he said "You can't use clay on a fresh paint job" but then as mentioned he told me they buffed the fresh paint job.

How would you guys approach it?

Thanks for any advice you can give - the sooner the better, as I'm planning to go there tomorrow (Monday).

Re: Swirls all over on a new paint job at dealer.

Well first off WELCOME TO MOL!!!!

So you have a "dealer" story.
    These come up often and they're all bad. Bad, bad, bad stories.

I hate dealers with a passion. They lie, lie, lie.

I highly doubt they spent $8,000.00 bucks on your car. And I doubt they took it down to the metal.
    I could be wrong but I've heard this story before.
    Let Joe do what he can then take your car to a Professional Detailer and then bill Joe for the work.

A Professional Detailer wants your business for life and will do everything in his power to make you happy, well the good one will. There are a lot of hacks in the detail world too.

Fresh paint isn't a big deal like most people make it out to be.
    Fresh paint usually has orange peal from the way it lays. The swirls are from a wool pad and an amateur.
    The dealer usually has some hack working on the detailing of there cars. These guy stink at there jobs because they don't care and don't get paid to care. It's just a job to them and not a passion like a Professional Detailer.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Thanks for the prompt response, Please Wash Me Detailing.

"Let Joe do what he can then take your car to a Professional Detailer and then bill Joe for the work."

How do I get Joe to pay that bill? If he's not going to pay the bill, which seems almost 100% what I'd guess will be the case, then I'd rather arrange in advance in writing that he'll pay the bill for a detailer.

Joe has a detailer on premises - I spoke to him privately (Joe was not present) for about 15 minutes about the roof when Joe's plan had been to have the detailer work on it.
      My impression was that he really knew his stuff. (I haven't seen his work).

The swirls were probably from someone at the outside body shop which did the paint job, buffing it with a steel wool or some other pad that was the wrong type or not clean.

Comment

You tell him he doesn't know how to fix your car, your extremely pissed at his "I know everything" attitude and his lies and your taking it somewhere to get it done properly.
        Then you give him the bill and you'll never do business with him again if he doesn't pay. Talk to his boss and his boss.
        They probably won't pay. But at least you'll let them know how horrible they are. Not that they don't already know that but at least you can make a seen.
        Take my advise with a grain of salt. I hate dealers and my advice is a bit jaded toward them.
        Oh yea you can punch him in the face too, lol, jk. Don't punch him.
        Good luck!

DetailingByM.com

Comment

What can I do if they've now temporarily hidden the swirls with glaze or wax?

I read at another forum that I can bring a spray bottle of half 90% alcohol, half water, and spray it on a section of the car, wipe it off, and repeat a few times, to take off whatever they may have put on and reveal the swirls again.

But I'm afraid if I do that and the swirls appear, they'll claim I caused the swirls by rubbing the liquid off a few times.

Comment

yes bring ISA with you and a new MFT. Wipe in a straight line gently. Let the ISA do it's job.
            The swirls will show up and your "lines" won't.

If they do say that to you refer back to my "punching" solution! lol.
            Just tell them what a pos they are leave and write up reviews and contact people above them.
            You don't need to be treated like this. Like your ignorant.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Originally posted by Please Wash Me Detailing View Post
              If they do say that to you refer back to my "punching" solution! lol.
              Just tell them what a pos they are leave and write up reviews and contact people above them.
              PWMD: Do you have an ex brother-in-law in the car dealer business?

I had an ex-wife in the dealer business so I share your love for car dealers
              2018 Acura RLX Tech - Majestic Black Pearl

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');