• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chipped paint and road rash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chipped paint and road rash

I have a brand new Metallic Cobalt Blue Chevy Volt. and my wife drives it to work everyday. In her journey through that wretched Virginia (drivers) traffic and construction she gets rocks kicked up and her paint gets chipped on the front hood and bumper of her car. being she has such a standout color it shows up like a spotlight is shining on it. is there something on the market that can be applied to prevent this sort of thing from happening? I do not like bras on cars....maybe something like clear plastic sheeting or something that could be applied that will prevent the paint from getting chipped?

Re: Chipped paint and road rash

[IMG]C:\Users\Home\Desktop\paint chip[/IMG]

Comment

Your photo link is a link to your computers' hard drive. No one else can see the photo. That might help elicit responses. Also, there are a number of posts here that describe horror stories from bras.

Either way, best of luck.

p.s. What the heck is liquid glass? Sounds like it wouldn't hold up well to a rock...
      2018 Acura RLX Tech - Majestic Black Pearl

Comment

3M clear bra

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Clear bras are great at keeping rock chips at bay. 3M and Xpel are what I'd probably recommend. I personally don't like them though because most people don't care for them the right way and then end up all scratched and dull looking, and they're much more difficult to deal with scratched or full paint.

Pros and cons to just about everything.
          Dynamic Detailing

Website | Instagram | Facebook

Comment

Here are a couple easy to apply/ easily removed options, I personally have black plasti dip on my Subie's front grill and it seems to protect pretty well...I plan on using clear plasti dip on my van's hood/ bumper/ side mirriors before we go on a road trip

"STRIFE" aka Phil
            2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (IP/ aka White) the Toy
            2011 Subaru Impreza (SWP/ aka White) the DD
            2017 Subaru Forester (CWP/ aka White) Wifey's

Comment

Hmmm, goin on a road trip in a month and a half, hadn't thought to use the clear plasti dip on the front end and then just remove when we get back.

Are there any negative consequences to the paint, trim, grill, or headlights? Or would I just have to clean up and probably apply a fresh coat of wax after the trip?
              Dynamic Detailing

Website | Instagram | Facebook

Comment

This should clear up some issues,
                Shop Car All Kits - https://www.dipyourcar.com/pages/dyc-vehicle-kits Shop Wheel Kits - https://www.dipyourcar.com/pages/dyc-wheel-kits Dip Your Car C...

A popular site on dipping

I know the plasti dip clear will make your paint matte in appearance
                "STRIFE" aka Phil

Comment

Another company with a temp solution......think this is very similar to Plasti dip tho...
                  Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                  "STRIFE" aka Phil

Comment

Plasti dip!!! I seen this on a movie once and didn't know how they did that...this will get me into some trouble...lol have a black car pull into an alley 5 minutes late come out with a white car. all jokes aside...this may work if I could get a color match.

Comment

Originally posted by STRIFE View Post
                      ...I know the plasti dip clear will make your paint matte in appearance
                      I think (that is a scary statement this time in the morning) they offer a 'gloss' overcoat.

Bill

Comment

You can check the movie "The Jackal" which is a 1997 American political action thriller film directed by Michael Caton-Jones, and starring Bruce Willis, Richard Gere and Sidney Poitier. There was a scene in the movie where The Jackal (Willis) drove a minivan into a parking garage to hide from federal agents, and he used an industrial car wash pressure system to wash off the fake paint color on the vehicle. He then drove out of the garage and got away. Good movie

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');