• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wrist/Finger Pains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrist/Finger Pains

Hello there, great forum this is! I have learned so much already. Anyways I would figure to ask you guys about a problem I have been having recently. Over the last 2 months or so when it started to get warm again here in PA, I started to wash/wax/detail my car a lot. It was about this time that mainly between my pinky and forfinger down to my wrist would be come very painful after much use(mostly my left hand, some in my right). This would include waxing and cleaning, ect. I was wondering if it could be in the way that I wax my car?
    I use the little yellow circle foam applicators and buff off with cheese cloth. The way I do this is by placing all fingers on the pad and swirling the wax on, same with buffing. After a while my hand would REALLy hurt inbetween my forefinger/pinky. I went to the doctor and got x rays and apparently I have sweeling of my tissue and they gave me some anti inflammitorys. I now would try to wax in a differnt way but it still would hurt after a while doing normal things, more noticble when my fingers are all together handling smaller objects or pressing down.

I am wondering if there is somthing that could alive this pain or technuiqe. Has any one else encountered similar experiences?

Thanks a lot!

~Steve
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/stepinfetch

Hi Stepinfetch,

Sounds like you need to use a PC buffer to me.

I used to do everything by hand myself, but I found out that using an orbital like machine such as the PC made things easier on my hands & elbows......Not to mention that the car looked better too.
    r. b.

Comment

If you are applying by hand I would recommend getting some Sure-Grip applicators from Viking. They have a big door knob shaped handle which makes it easier on your hands. I found them at autozone, but I'm sure many of the parts stores have them.

Comment

Finally, something up my alley.

Some self care should go a long, long way with you. I'd suggest picking up a paraffin bath from your local drug store (or Wal*Mart -- shudder!). They run $20-45 and can help prevent many things.

Basically, you paint the paraffin on from just above your elbow to your fingertips, wrap it all in cling wrap, then a towel, and wait 15 mins. Remove the towel, wrap, and then peel the paraffin off. The muscles of your forearm and wrist should be comfortably heated practically to the bones.

Do some self massage, I recommend pinning the muscle mound just below your outside elbow and rotating your wrist. I also recommend holding your wrist straight, then pulling the skin on one side taught and pinning it below the wrist. Slowly bend your wrist in the opposide direction -- you'll feel a good deep stretch under your skin. This is a wonderful way to help prevent carpal tunnel syndrome and help relieve the inflammation you're experiencing.

Repeat for the other arm. It's wonderful.

As to the cause of your problems:
        It seems like you may be using the flexors of your wrist (muscles on the inside of your forearm) to push the pad into the car. Try using your body weight rather than your muscles to do the work. It'll save much toil.

Trust me, I'm a massage therapist.
        "Son, crying in your milk is bad enough; crying in your hot fudge sundae is just disgusting."
        R.A. Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by SingingSabre
          Finally, something up my alley...

Do some self massage, I recommend pinning the muscle mound just below your outside elbow and rotating your wrist. I also recommend holding your wrist straight, then pulling the skin on one side taught and pinning it below the wrist. Slowly bend your wrist in the opposide direction -- you'll feel a good deep stretch under your skin. This is a wonderful way to help prevent carpal tunnel syndrome and help relieve the inflammation you're experiencing...

Trust me, I'm a massage therapist.
          Slightly OT

I have to agree, my wife was a masotherapist and it's amazing how much good can come from being "kneaded like a lump of dough."

If you ever want a really different experience, find a neuro-muscular therapist and get a full-body massage from them. I have to warn you though, it might hurt a bit while you're having such a deep massage done, but take a couple of ibuprofin right beforehand...it will help with the soreness of having your muscles 'worked.' It's hard to accurately describe the feeling afterwards, it relaxes your muscles so much.

You can also go to a N-M/Massage Therapist and just have them work on specific areas of your body (like your hands/wrists/forearms. I can guarantee, you WILL NOT regret it
          Don
          12/27/2015
          "Darth Camaro"
          2013 Camaro ... triple black
          323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Originally posted by Don
            Slightly OT

I have to agree, my wife was a masotherapist and it's amazing how much good can come from being "kneaded like a lump of dough."

If you ever want a really different experience, find a neuro-muscular therapist and get a full-body massage from them. I have to warn you though, it might hurt a bit while you're having such a deep massage done, but take a couple of ibuprofin right beforehand...it will help with the soreness of having your muscles 'worked.' It's hard to accurately describe the feeling afterwards, it relaxes your muscles so much.

You can also go to a N-M/Massage Therapist and just have them work on specific areas of your body (like your hands/wrists/forearms. I can guarantee, you WILL NOT regret it
            I don't think it's OT at all! The topic what to do about Steve's problem, and you offered some really sound advice.

The thing I recommended is actually a form of myofacial release, which neuromuscular therapists use.

A lot of massage therapists (in Arizona, New York, and some other states) are required to have knowledge which goes beyond standard Swedish and deep tissue massage.

A way to help find competant massage therapists in your city/state can be found here

and here

Good luck!
            "Son, crying in your milk is bad enough; crying in your hot fudge sundae is just disgusting."
            R.A. Heinlein

Comment

are you old?

For starters, get the Viking handi-grip app. It is much, much better than the flimsy Meguiar's app and won't require you to bunch up your fingers.

Then get a PC or rotary.
              Last edited by Estranged; May 4, 2005, 09:54 AM.
              2003 White Diamond Cadillac Escalade with Weld Evo Forged 22's

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I am 19 years old, so it shouldent be the fact that im getting old, heh. Im going to check out this parrifin thing for sure. One thing I was confused on was the "muscle mound" you said. When you say pinning the mound below my wrist and such, what does this mean and how do I pin it?

Im also going to go buy the Viking pad it looks like this would help a lot! BTW the thing that seems most like my case is Cubital Tunnel Syndrome not Carpil, because it is mainly my outside fingers than my wrist foresay.

Another thing, I have a cheapo buffer that I got at walmart a couple years back from walmart. I take it this would not be as good as using somthing as the buffer here? At least the price is cheaper though. I thought this is somthign to use only when you have big scratches or REALLY need a new wax job.

Comment

Originally posted by Stepinfetch

Another thing, I have a cheapo buffer that I got at walmart a couple years back from walmart. I take it this would not be as good as using somthing as the buffer here? At least the price is cheaper though. I thought this is somthign to use only when you have big scratches or REALLY need a new wax job.
                  The buffer works, it just doesn't have the nuts that a PC has. It bogs down very easy. You'll find that once you buy a PC, you'll be hooked on it and wonder why you ever did anything by hand. Well worth the $$, especially considering your hand issues, not to mention the time savings and incredible results it provides. Unless you detail ALOT, and have alot of nasty details to do, you won't need to step up to a rotary.
                  2003 White Diamond Cadillac Escalade with Weld Evo Forged 22's

Comment

Originally posted by Stepinfetch
                    Thanks for the replies. I am 19 years old, so it shouldent be the fact that im getting old, heh. Im going to check out this parrifin thing for sure. One thing I was confused on was the "muscle mound" you said. When you say pinning the mound below my wrist and such, what does this mean and how do I pin it?

Im also going to go buy the Viking pad it looks like this would help a lot! BTW the thing that seems most like my case is Cubital Tunnel Syndrome not Carpil, because it is mainly my outside fingers than my wrist foresay.

Cubital tunnel syndrome is much rarer than it's carpal brethren. Either one stems from the same cause: inflammation of something causing a nerve to compress.

As to the muscle mound thing. Hold your arm so your elbow is at a right angle and your thumb is on top. If you follow the bone on the side that your thumb is on (the radius) and fall just to the outside of that at the elbow, you'll find the muscle mound. Just press down at the outside of it (rather than the top, bottom, or inside) and rotate your hand. It might be tender!

You can do that with pretty much any muscle group near the elbow to help you out.
                    R.A. Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by SingingSabre
                      Cubital tunnel syndrome is much rarer than it's carpal brethren. Either one stems from the same cause: inflammation of something causing a nerve to compress.

As to the muscle mound thing. Hold your arm so your elbow is at a right angle and your thumb is on top. If you follow the bone on the side that your thumb is on (the radius) and fall just to the outside of that at the elbow, you'll find the muscle mound. Just press down at the outside of it (rather than the top, bottom, or inside) and rotate your hand. It might be tender!

You can do that with pretty much any muscle group near the elbow to help you out.
                      Wow thanks thats pretty cool! This will defintly help,

Comment

It's my pleasure!

Good luck!
                        R.A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');