• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Single Stage Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Stage Paint

Is Ultimate Compound suitable for single stage paint for paint correction?

My friend tried your UC and he went back to his Autoglym. He preferred Autoglym to remove rust spots.

Re: Single Stage Paint

Yes it is but what are you working on?

How old is the single stage paint?
    Rupes 21 / Flex 3401 / G110v2 / GG3"
    Thoryamaha919 AKA Evan
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Comment

I depends on what color it is and what kind of condition it's in.
      UC is very dry and you might need something with more oils in it like what's in the Solo line

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Not sure of the year, it is a older Toyota Rav4. It was properly the 1st generation, a lot smaller than the current model. Color is red.

Comment

I have SS paint and have no issues with using UC, black RAV. 2009
          Great results.

Comment

This Rav4 is much older than 2009, it is probably the first generation.

2009 is not old at all, I had the impression that cars made in the past 10 years are all clear coated.

Comment

Originally posted by mis3 View Post
              This Rav4 is much older than 2009, it is probably the first generation.

2009 is not old at all, I had the impression that cars made in the past 10 years are all clear coated.
              so you don't know what year it is?
              Also why are you saying it is SS and not CC?
              Look at the driver door tag it will tell you when it was made.
              CC became a standard around 1990
              You can do a test by rubbing a towel and compound on the paint and if any color transfers to the towel it's SS.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

I know it's SS because I asked the same question about color transfer.

Comment

The RAV4 was first sold in here in the US in 1996. I can't recall for sure but I seem to remember that Toyota maintained SS paint on black, white and red solid colors into the mid to late 90's. Easy enough to tell by using some polish and look for the color coming up.

On my 1991 MR2, I personally liked using #80 which contained lots of lubricating oils to slow the oxidation and feed the old paint a bit while polishing. I also loved how using #7 Speed Glaze helped restore the paint.
                  Jim
                  My Gallery

Comment

Toyota used single stage paint well past the '90's on their solid colors. I think they still do, but the most recent one I've worked on to know for sure was an '08.
                    Brandon
                    Custom Cleaning Concepts, LLC
                    (435) 249-4CCC (4222)
                    "When you want your ride as clean as can be, you need to call CCC!"

Comment

Yup, I just did a white '07 or '08 Tacoma a couple weeks ago that was SS. Kinda weird, but they do.
                      I'm not a huge fan of working on them, but I would recommend 80 as well, especially over something like UC or 105. The oils in 80 seem to work well with many SS paints that I've worked on.
                      Dynamic Detailing

Website | Instagram | Facebook

Comment

Is there any reason why Toyota is (probably) the only car manufacturer who sticks with SS paint?

Comment

Originally posted by mis3 View Post
                          Is there any reason why Toyota is (probably) the only car manufacturer who sticks with SS paint?
                          Likely because they look better in solid colors. A swirl or scratch in black ss paint is much less visible than they appear in a black cc finish. When you think about it, when a cc gets scratched light can enter the scratch from the cc around the scratch and makes the scratch appear white. On SS paint there is no stray light entering the scratch so it doesn't stand out nearly as much.

That said, I don't believe Toyota are doing ss paint now. I did a pair of black 2013 Lexus LS460s this summer and they were cc, and about the most perfect paint finish I've ever seen, absolutely zero orange peel anywhere on them.
                          Jim
                          My Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by jfelbab View Post
                            Likely because they look better in solid colors. A swirl or scratch in black ss paint is much less visible than they appear in a black cc finish. When you think about it, when a cc gets scratched light can enter the scratch from the cc around the scratch and makes the scratch appear white. On SS paint there is no stray light entering the scratch so it doesn't stand out nearly as much.

That said, I don't believe Toyota are doing ss paint now. I did a pair of black 2013 Lexus LS460s this summer and they were cc, and about the most perfect paint finish I've ever seen, absolutely zero orange peel anywhere on them.
                            Metallic, right? Only the true solid colors are SS. I have read where Toyota's paint techniques are so secretive that it's divided into two buildings and employees from one can never enter, transfer to, or associate with the employees from the other.

Infiniti also has a SS paint right now.
                            Brandon
                            Custom Cleaning Concepts, LLC
                            (435) 249-4CCC (4222)
                            "When you want your ride as clean as can be, you need to call CCC!"

Comment

I'm not believing they still use SS paint for there production vehicles.
                              These all sound like repaints to me.
                              Luckily I don't work on Toys or Honda either.
                              Can someone confirm this? With something from Toy and not just hearsay.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');