• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brown Tree Stains on White Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown Tree Stains on White Paint

Hi guys, this question is about my fiances white 2013 Jetta. The car has been on the road for about a month and a half and after running it through a brushless car wash yesterday I noticed it has several small brown stains(probably from trees) all over the hood, roof and trunk. I tried a quick wipe with quik detailer, nothing. Tried some bug and tar spray and only a couple came off.

Now considering I'm only working by hand and I don't want to do a full treatment,(don't have the time yet), what would be the best product to use to get small difficult stains out without harming the paint?

Thanks for any tips.

Re: Brown Tree Stains on White Paint

It will depend on what kind of stain you are dealing with.
    Perhaps if you can provide some pictures, it would help.
    2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Comment

I'll take some pictures when I get home from work. Not sure exactly what they are but the pine trees drop these little brown pieces that I guess when not taken off fairly quickly, they leave brown stains. Very technical explanation, I know. Lol

Comment

If its sap, a little diluted isopropyl alcohol might be in order.
        2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Comment

I don't think its sap. The sap is always clear and comes off with the Quik Detailer. The stains are not raised at all and have no texture, it's like they are part of the paint.

Comment

Originally posted by ModVic21 View Post
            I don't think its sap. The sap is always clear and comes off with the Quik Detailer. The stains are not raised at all and have no texture, it's like they are part of the paint.
            Iron Particles, white paint is notorious for these. Get some Iron-X or Wolfs Decon Gel or equivalent. First try clay and see if it will remove them.

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
            "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

Originally posted by Meticulous-Detail View Post
              Iron Particles, white paint is notorious for these. Get some Iron-X or Wolfs Decon Gel or equivalent. First try clay and see if it will remove them.
              I'll see if I can pick those up but in the mean time I do have some Ultimate Compound. Do you think that may work?

Thanks.

Comment

If you haven't done anything to the paint yet since you bought it brand new (no wax), then this will occur much more frequently and be more difficult to remove since the paint has no protection. Once you get the spots removed, put a quick coat of wax on it until you can do a more extensive job and it will save you a ton of time and energy.
                Dynamic Detailing

Website | Instagram | Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by jarred767 View Post
                  If you haven't done anything to the paint yet since you bought it brand new (no wax), then this will occur much more frequently and be more difficult to remove since the paint has no protection. Once you get the spots removed, put a quick coat of wax on it until you can do a more extensive job and it will save you a ton of time and energy.
                  Yeah, once I get these spots off I'll hit it with the spray wax. I treated my car shortly after getting it(we got them at the same time) and I haven't had any trouble getting different tree stuff off yet. I'll try the Ultimate compound first and see where that gets me.

Comment

Hey! That's what I was going to say! lol.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Originally posted by Please Wash Me Detailing View Post
                      Hey! That's what I was going to say! lol.
                      Great minds think alike.

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
                      "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

I actually went ahead with the Ultimate Compound and they came off as I applied it. Did the trunk and hood and applied spray wax after I was done to protect. Held my LED light up to it after and it looked as smooth as glass so I must have done it right. Lol

Going to do the roof and whatever spots remain on the sides tomorrow and finish the spray wax on the rest of the car.

Comment

Great to hear it!

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Originally posted by C8N View Post
                            It will depend on what kind of stain you are dealing with.
                            Perhaps if you can provide some pictures, it would help.
                            Sorry for reopening this thread, but I got a similar or worst problem and got some pictures also.
                            It happened three times now. Third time it happened, I noticed just a few days later, and it was hell. I tried the Ultimate Compound but I had to use it with the kitchen sponge on the rough side. Still some are not coming off. By now you can see the sponge path on the hood in the sun.
                            Any help would be much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by medrison View Post
                              Sorry for reopening this thread, but I got a similar or worst problem and got some pictures also.
                              It happened three times now. Third time it happened, I noticed just a few days later, and it was hell. I tried the Ultimate Compound but I had to use it with the kitchen sponge on the rough side. Still some are not coming off. By now you can see the sponge path on the hood in the sun.
                              Any help would be much appreciated.

You used the scotchbrite side of a sponge? Dude, did you ever pick up some Iron-X or even some aggressive clay? Not to be an *** but you're doing far more damage to your paint than the spots. You're going to either more aggressive than UC, or go chemical (Iron-X etc.) to remove the spot and now the scouring marks from the sponge. You've gone beyond my level and hopefully some of the others with more experience will chime in.
                              Don
                              12/27/2015
                              "Darth Camaro"
                              2013 Camaro ... triple black
                              323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');