• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How's my kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's my kit?

Hello, I'm looking to get into detailing and have been doing extensive research for the past 2 days. I've come up with the following list.

Griot's Garage 6" Orbital Polisher
    M105
    M205
    CCS Orange Light Cutting Foam Pad
    CSS White Polishing Foam Pad
    CSS Blue Finessing Foam Pad
    Meguiar's Clay Bar Kit
    Meguiar's Ultimate Compound
    Meguiar's Liquid Wax

Would you guys recommend changing anything? The cars that I will be detailing haven't been cleaned in years and will need lots of help to bring the paint back to life. Thanks in advance .

Re: How's my kit?

Can't edit but I wanted to add the photos of the truck that will need most of the attention.

Based on your guys' experience, are these blemishes fixable? I realize that I will not be able to achieve 100% correction but even if I can get 70%, I'll be ecstatic.

Comment

I would get the 5" backing plate and go with 5.5" pads.

Take out the finesse pad and get finishing pads instead
      Rupes 21 / Flex 3401 / G110v2 / GG3"
      Thoryamaha919 AKA Evan
      Click and Like my Facebook Page

Comment

It looks like those may be a bit deep to fix what I would change on your kit is get ultimate compound and ultimate polish those will work similar to 105/205 but don't dust nearly as bad and are more user friendly. I'd also recommend the megs soft buff red cutting pad, love those things!
        Even the best cars look like junk when they are not clean

Comment

Originally posted by Evan.J View Post

The finesse pad comes in the kit that I'm getting (which also includes the polisher, M105, M205, and other pads). All for $185. I'll make sure to throw in some finishing pads as well.

Originally posted by Showmob View Post
          It looks like those may be a bit deep to fix what I would change on your kit is get ultimate compound and ultimate polish those will work similar to 105/205 but don't dust nearly as bad and are more user friendly. I'd also recommend the megs soft buff red cutting pad, love those things!
          Great advice. Ordered the Polish.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan.J View Post

Dual-Action Hook & Loop Flexible Backing Plate 5" - 5 inch molded urethane backing plate for excellent flexibility and balance by Lake Country MFG. If German car makers think this backing plate is good enough to use on their top-of-the-line ...

Is this the backing plate that you're referring to? Should I also order the washers?

Btw, it seems that it might be better for me to just order the polisher itself, get the correct pads, leave out the M105 and M205, and use UC and UP. What do you think?

Thanks .

Comment

Yep that's the backing plate. It will already come with a washer. I would get everything I wanted. The kits are nice but some times it's just better to get what you need and want. Plus they have a sale going on right now too
              Rupes 21 / Flex 3401 / G110v2 / GG3"
              Thoryamaha919 AKA Evan
              Click and Like my Facebook Page

Comment

I definitely agree. I'll go ahead and compile a new list of stuff and post back in here.

Thanks so much for your help .

Comment

If you are just starting out with a polisher ultimate compound and polish is a good start. As someone already stated they are user friendly and their formulas are based off of M105/M205. You got the right backing plate. As far as pads I use these from lake country http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country...d-pad-kit.html I use orange (compound), white (polish) and black (wax). I have not used meguiars pads but I hear good things about them.
                  99 Grand Prix
                  02 Camaro SS

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the insightful response.

Would you recommend that I purchase 2 pads of each or is there a particular pad that I'll need more than the others?

So far my list is:
                    GG6
                    Pads
                    5.5" Backing Plate
                    Clay Kit
                    UC
                    UP
                    ULW
                    Grit Guard + Buckets x 2
                    Mothers Wheel Brush Kit

Comment

The less aggressive your work is, the less pads you need. Whatever pad you decide to use as your compounding/correcting pad with UC will be the type you need multiples of. For waxing you'll only need 1 per car. Polishing with UP after UC, 1 or 2 should be fine.
                      Dynamic Detailing

Website | Instagram | Facebook

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the response. I'll just go with 3 oranges, 2 whites, and 1 black. Since this is my first time detailing, I think I'd better stay away from the yellow.

In other news, only an hour before I head out to Griot's Garage for their free class .

Comment

So I've come up with the following:

DA Microfiber Kit + Cleaning Brush
                          5.5" B&S Black Pad for Wax
                          APC+
                          HD
                          ULW
                          Clay Kit
                          2 x Grit Guards

Does the backing plate from the MF kit work with regular foam pads?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');