• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help on technique or product

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on technique or product

i have a 2004 tahoe, black. i feel like i've gone at this thing for a while and am not seeing any correction in the paint. i've pretty much only have worked on a couple of areas to try and get a good process down, and i'm not seeing the results. here is my process:

wash (2 bucket method)
    dry w/ microfiber
    clay w/ QD
    this next step is where i have stalled. I have the DA power system. for this step, i am using the maroon pad w/ heavy pressure. i have used a couple different products at different times following the above process each time: Swirl X, Scratch X, and UC. None of which seem to remove swirls or scratches based on my current method. I run my corded power drill as fast as it goes, press down very hard and vary my speed on the passes (very slow to moderate). Here is a pic i snapped last night after using swirl x in this method on the hood:

it seems to me that I would be seeing better results based on the effort that i'm putting forth. does anyone know if the Tahoe has hard paint? I'm a newbie so I'm sure it's my technique more than anything. any thoughts?

Re: Help on technique or product

I cant comment on the hardness of your paint but are you priming your pad and how many section passes have you done?
    If technique is not at fault, perhaps you may want to invest in a DA as depending on your drill, the DA power system will not have the same output as a regular DA.
    2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Comment

thanks for the reply, C8. i am not familiar w/ priming the pad so, no - i haven't done that. I will look into. what are you priming with, the product itself?

Comment

Yes, you should prime the pad with the product.

How to prime a foam pad when using a DA Polisher Here are 3 ways to apply product to your pad. 1. Priming the pad then adding product to work with Pri

Comment

keep working the area.
          eventually you'll fix it, your just not working it long enough.
          Your paint is pretty hard.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

ok, another round this past Saturday. results seem better. less swirls. still have scratches.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by HoweMan View Post
                ok, another round this past Saturday. results seem better. less swirls. still have scratches.

Originally posted by Please Wash Me Detailing View Post
                keep working the area.
                eventually you'll fix it, your just not working it long enough.
                Your paint is pretty hard.
                When we detail we try to remove defects. Not all defects are the same depth.
                So you removed the shalloww" scratches and now you can see the "deeper" scratches.
                So your around 75%-80% of defect removal. This is fine.
                The most we do is 95% correction unless we get paid good money to remove ALL of the defects.

So don't dry yourself crazy. As you keep polishing this over the next year you'll get more and more of those defects out.
                Your truck looks great!
                I think you excellentxcelent job.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

thanks a lot PWMD. I do think i had a breakthrough regarding my technique whereas having just started this I knew I was in for a learning curve. Plus I do need to level-set my expectations.

Comment

Wow... that's a great reflection shot!

Comment

thanks C8N! i think i'm gettin it!

Comment

thanks C8N! i think i'm gettin it!
                        The results speaks for themselves and it looks great!
                        Now the difficult part is keeping it that way

Comment

The last photo speaks for itself. You did a great job. Looks like the DA power system delivers good results.
                          99 Grand Prix
                          02 Camaro SS

Comment

thanks Guz, i was getting frustrated but did realize it was most likely the technique. I took me a while, I completed the hood and the tailgate (with full badge removal). i'm pretty happy with it now. now i just need another saturday to finish her up...

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');