• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review: Hyper Dressing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review: Hyper Dressing

About a year ago, Meguiar's unveiled the new 'Detailer Line' (D-Line) of products replacing a very nice line that was already in place. Unfortunately, a few 'tried and true' products died when the D-Line revamp took place but, as we may have lost a couple of products, we gained some great ones too!

None the less, out with the old, in with the new (I just wish they wouldn't have killed Final Detail -- another gripe, another day). With that in mind, I've slowly gathered several of the new D-line products and have been trying them out over the past few months.

Most recently, I've been using Meguiar's Hyper Dressing (D-170). This is a dressing that is pretty unique to the industry in that it is DILUTABLE to your desired look (high gloss to natural shine (and everywhere in between)). This is a VERY versatile product!

My opinion is that Meg's has hit the nail on the head with Hyper Dressing. While other manufacturers have tried similar dilutable products (Pro-Products makes one even today), none, in my opinion, are capable of doing what this product does with a couple of sprays.

Application is cake. Simply spray on and walk away. Come back to your tire a little later and even it up with a foam applicator or, my favorite, an Eagle One Tire Swipe. Allow to dry for a while and roll! (don't forget to clean off any over spray from your wheel!). I highly recommend utilizing a good cleaner to clean your tires as part of your detailing procedure. I utilized the late/great Meguiar's Citri-Gel at 1:1 for tire cleaning on this detail.

Sling is VERY minimal, although, I did note a couple of blotches on the paint after usage (probably white wall lettering holding a bit of product). The 'sling' on the tire itself (you know, the smear that runs away from the whitewall lettering and other texture) was nominal and almost non-existent.

Price. A bit on the high side for a gallon but, look at it this way, even at a 2:1 Medium Gloss ratio, you're getting enough to last the average Joe YEARS... not months for the asking price of around $35. If you're a natural shine type of person, 4-gallons for that price! Or, you can do like I've done, and mix up a couple of different ratios for different applications!

Comparison. If you like Meguiar's Hi-Gloss Endurance or Hot Shine, you're going to LOVE this product. This product smells just like Endurance -- grapey. I found the product to be very slightly sticky at 1:1 but not at 4:1. I might have mixed it a little bit strong though... not sure. It's certainly not bad though.

Usage. Use it anywhere that you'd use a dressing. While I typically reserve my wheel wells for the 'tire shine' products (like EO WET) that I don't particularly care for, I've been hitting my wells with a few shots of this and they seem to stay black longer... even after rains. Further, I've noted that the lasting shine is comparable to Endurance; even through rain.

Now, a few pics...

(MPPC & #16 on the paint if you're curious)

Engine Compartment -- Sorry for the Flash Photo... It's not that great. The engine compartment, however, looks STELLAR.

Picture taken after about 200 miles of interstate driving... everything still looks VERY good.

RP
    -The Final Detail-
    Lagrange, Kentucky
    thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
    CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

The entire vehicle looks outstanding RP!

I take it you think that the HD is worth the price.......... right?
    Boss_429

Comment

Hey RP,

Looks great as always. Did you just spray & walk on the engine? Or did you have to come back and wipe down? Was that 4:1 you used on the engine? What was the ratio you used on the tires and wheel wells?

Comment

Boss - ABSOLUTELY!

I was actually trying to be overly critical on the product and I really couldn't come up with any serious deficiencies or flaws. It really is a GREAT product.

Originally posted by everglo
        Hey RP,

Looks great as always. Did you just spray & walk on the engine? Or did you have to come back and wipe down? Was that 4:1 you used on the engine? What was the ratio you used on the tires and wheel wells?
        Sprayed on and walked away after removing the overspray from my air intake tube (polished). That's the ONLY thing I wiped down.

Both areas were 1:1. Probably overkill for the engine compartment but, at the time, I hadn't mixed my 4:1. The 'wife-mobile' (04 Explorer Eddie Bauer) has 4:1 under the hood... I'll try to get some pics of that sometime soon.

RP
        -The Final Detail-
        Lagrange, Kentucky

Comment

All looks great! Seems like everything looks good with a little HD on it!
          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

new detailer line, new truck, life is good!
            loved your work. looks like I have to get some as well, just waiting for my engine cote to run out.
            2019 GMC Sierra
            1500 AT4

Comment

Hey RP!

Very nice review!

I totally agree, Meguiar's HD is an excellent product! I also really like using it in the wheel wells that have plastic liners!!

Tim
              Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Thanks guys! I washed again today as the dust build up was beyond any type of Spray and Wipe or Quick Detailer...

I went ahead and Citri-Gel'd the tires to remove everything and have gone back to HD on the tires... so far, so perfect!

I love this stuff...

RP
                -The Final Detail-
                Lagrange, Kentucky

Comment

"Both areas were 1:1. Probably overkill for the engine compartment but, at the time, I hadn't mixed my 4:1. The 'wife-mobile' (04 Explorer Eddie Bauer) has 4:1 under the hood... I'll try to get some pics of that sometime soon."

4:1=water(4):HD(1) ?

Comment

Price. A bit on the high side for a gallon but, look at it this way, even at a 2:1 Medium Gloss ratio, you're getting enough to last the average Joe YEARS... not months for the asking price of around $35. If you're a natural shine type of person, 4-gallons for that price! Or, you can do like I've done, and mix up a couple of different ratios for different applications!
                    How many cars do you think can be dressed out of one gallon? Looking to get some for my car wash.

Comment

Originally posted by Acenas
                      How many cars do you think can be dressed out of one gallon? Looking to get some for my car wash.
                      Rather than cars I'd worry about how many spray bottles you can get out of a gallon. Man this stuff will stretch. With the dilution it only takes a small amount mixed with water. I have half a bottle left and its a year old. I average anywhere from 4 cars a month to 10 cars a month (during the busy times). Those numbers are for a small weekend business too not a full time shop. Hyper dressing is truly a versatile and great product.

Good luck and hope this was helpful...

Comment

What spray nozzle are you all using? I just received my sample bottle from Auto Detailing Solutions and it comes out too thick to spray. I had to apply it with a pad. I have not tried diluting it as yet but it appears that even if I did dilute it it would still be too thick to spray. Perhaps the nozzle(which is not a Meguiar's nozzle) is the problem.

The results are very good but it would be nice if I could just spray and walk away. Or at least not have to apply with an applicator as it takes a bit more time.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comment

How should I dilute the product to get a really wet looking shine, without using to much product. I will only be using this product on wheel wells, engines, interior (rarly)..

Comment

What type of cleaner do you recommend prior to HD? APC?

Comment

Any good APC, APC+, APC, Safe-D Degreaser etc..

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');