• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G110v2 suffered CoD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G110v2 suffered CoD

Popular issue here on MOL. My G110v2 has been relegated to secondary polisher duties (dedicated 3" polisher) since I bought my Rupes a few months back. I was finishing some polishing on the bumper cover sills when the G110v2 suddenly started losing power. Since I read several accounts here on MOL about the G110v2 CoD (Cord of Death) issues, I knew the culprit was likely the power cord. Sure enough by pushing the base of the cord against the G110v2's handle, I regained power and was able to finish my bumper sill polishing.

My G110v2 is out of warranty so I took it to South Coast Tool Repair (formerly Tool Up) here in San Diego. I bought a new cord and connectors for $15, and then took up SCTR's offer to install the cord for another $15 while I waited. 30 minutes later the tech returned my repaired G110v2 to me and mentioned that the original cord was 18 gauge and that he replaced it with a 16 gauge because the 18 gauge was "too light" to handle the load requirements of a dual action polisher.

My polisher is a 1st generation G110v2, purchased immediately when it was offered 2 years ago. Meguiar's and it's manufacturer has since addressed the cord issue and I wonder if the resolution was to use a heavier gauge cord? In any event, I used mine for 2+ years before experiencing the issue and to refurb it for only $30 was a bargain. (could have been only $15 if I had done the work myself, but hey, I was already there and they offer a 30 day warranty non their work...)

Re: G110v2 suffered CoD

My G110v2 nameplate has a CSA CA-US label which is akin to a UL rating for electrical requirements. It also indicates Fla (FULL LOAD CURRENT) OF 4.2 Amps. Motor wire sizing is typically 125% of full load current which would be 5.25 amps. An 18 AWG should be fine.

The problem sounds more like it was a connection issue, not a wire size issue. An 18 gauge wire IS easier to break with stress than a 16 gauge wire however.

The lighter gauge wire also provides more flexibility in the cord, thus, less potential damage to your paint if contacted by the cord.
    2018 Acura RLX Tech - Majestic Black Pearl

Comment

Nice info.

I remember when you bought that at the Del Mar show.
      I'm surprised it lasted you this long.

Mine acted up and throwing it against a concrete wall as hard as I could fixed it, fixed it real good.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Originally posted by Please Wash Me Detailing View Post
        Nice info.

I remember when you bought that at the Del Mar show.
        I'm surprised it lasted you this long.

Mine acted up and throwing it against a concrete wall as hard as I could fixed it, fixed it real good.
        You're remembering my original G110. I used it a few times and that one also died (from something else). But luckily it was still under warranty, so Megs replaced it. A few months later Meguiars introduced the G110v2 and I sold the replacement G110 to someone else.

Yeah, I remember you recommending the concrete slam method so I tried that first. My Rupes watched in horror and asked me, "You mad, bro?"

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');