• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to remove swirl marks -- Ultimate Compound, ScratchX, or SwirlX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to remove swirl marks -- Ultimate Compound, ScratchX, or SwirlX?

Hello again fellow Meguarians,

About two months ago I was giving my BLACK 2009 Volkswagen Jetta SE its weekly cleaning (those of you who own a black car, you know how much effort it takes to keep it looking sharp), but when I went to dry it, I immediately noticed swirl marks all over its perfect, almost mirror-like black coat of paint. I looked into my wash bucket to find my rim-washing sponge—which is just an ordinary kitchen sponge—and instantly realized my inexcusable, extreme stupidity: the rough side of the sponge. Now that I’ve honestly confessed my heinous crime (and as you are rightfully judging said crime), I am looking to do everything I can to make it right.

I tried buffing it out using Meguiar’s Cleaner Wax (the one in the red tube-bottle) since it is a little bit coarser than my Gold Class Carnauba Plus Paste Wax (I mean, the Carnauba Wax is more for giving your car an excellent shine—especially on black cars—but certainly isn’t meant to get swirl marks out as far as I can tell, though I haven’t tried).

I have seemingly read every thread possible on which product is best (ScratchX 2.0, SwirlX, Ultimate Compound, etc), and from what I can understand, it seems that they all do essentially the same thing, but with varying degrees of aggressiveness. Apparently Ultimate Compound is the most aggressive, and SwirlX is the least aggressive, but I am not sure how 'aggressive' swirl marks left from the back side of a sponge are... I am torn as to which product to go with and I am hoping that by providing the exact source of my swirls and the pictures I have posted below, someone will be able to advise me on buying the correct product. Also, I should tell you that I am planning on doing this by hand (at least at first, until I can get my hands on an orbital machine [been looking at Meguiar’s Professional Dual Action Polisher, but it’s a tad pricey for me right now]) and am willing to take as much time waxing as necessary to get the job done correctly.

I had the Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polisher in my hands and was about to purchase, but decided I should come here and get some input before I went through with it. I didn't want to try something considered 'too aggressive' and regret it afterwards.

Thank you so much for welcoming me into the Meguiar’s Online community and for taking the time to respond to my post!

I have included links to the original image that is MUCH larger in case you want to see the swirls or anything up close. (Original size is quite big, but there are other sizes you can choose from when you reach the page.) I hope these are useful! Let me know if I should post more photos, and I'll get them up. Thanks again!

1. This is my 2009 Volkswagen Jetta SE after I washed/waxed it using Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo and Conditioner and Meguiar's Cleaner Wax (liquid). You can see the swirl marks best in the sun -- at night, the car looks flawless.

The safest and most inclusive global community of photography enthusiasts. The best place for inspiration, connection, and sharing!

2. Up close on the driver's side door. You can see exactly how I wash my car now, thanks to that sponge (created the swirls).

The safest and most inclusive global community of photography enthusiasts. The best place for inspiration, connection, and sharing!

3. My poor hood!!!!!

4. Not the roof.........

5. How it looked before...the second day I had it.

6. See? It's a Jet.

7. First real drive, taken at Montana de Oro State Park -- Morro Bay, CA

Last edited by JetDriver; Sep 19, 2013, 06:29 PM. Reason: For some reason, my post only retained the first two sentences. It is now an actual post.

Re: Trying to remove swirl marks -- Ultimate Compound, ScratchX, or SwirlX?

Spence with those swirl marks I would certain go with Ultimate compound followed by Ultimate polish the your choice of sealant or wax.

1. Wash your entire vehicle
    2. Clay the entire exterior
    3. Ultimate compound
    4. Ultimate polish
    5. Wax

You can get the DA power system that attaches to a drill that you can use or go and get your self a full sized Dual action polisher that will make polishing your car much easier.
    Rupes 21 / Flex 3401 / G110v2 / GG3"
    Thoryamaha919 AKA Evan
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Comment

Evan is correct. Popeye couldn't buff that by hand. Even the DA Power System (available at your local auto parts store) is going to take some time, but if Meg's Polisher is too much bucks (you would need pads too), get yourself the DAPS.
      2018 Acura RLX Tech - Majestic Black Pearl

Comment

Thanks for the input!

@Evan: So I should use a clay bar as well? I thought that was for surfaces that are not completely smooth? I'm all for it if it helps, just don't want to do anything I don't have to (solely out of fear of doing something else to the paint).

I did see that Meguiar's DA power system that attaches to a drill at a couple of places, but after reading a few other posts on other threads, some people seemed to think that relying on the speed of a drill can be dangerous to the paint since most drills spin at different speeds (some controllable, others not so much). Again, just trying to be as safe as I possibly can now that I've done this much by trying be a good caretaker of my car (just apparently not the smartest, based on how this happened in the first place).

@Stephan: Ha! I am certainly no Popeye...not even close as nice as it would seem to be at times, so thank you for that advice. Do you think trying what Evan mentioned above is even worth trying by hand? Or do you really feel dual action polisher is the only real solution? I'll probably start savin' for the real polisher anyway...not because the DAPS will take time, but for the reasons mentioned above.. Besides, then I'll feel more obligated to use it on continuing to maintain my car afterwards. Thanks again!

Comment

Well its always best to start with a smooth surface. There will be no harm in claying the paint surface. You will be surprised and what the clay will pick up.

As for the DAPS its built and made like a full sized DA polishers do its very safe to use the only draw back is that instead of using the 6.5" to 7" pads you can only use the smaller 4" pads. If you can get a full sized DA the I would go that route if not then getting the DAPS id your next best option.
          Rupes 21 / Flex 3401 / G110v2 / GG3"
          Thoryamaha919 AKA Evan
          Click and Like my Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by JetDriver View Post
            Thanks for the input!
            @Stephan: Ha! I am certainly no Popeye...not even close as nice as it would seem to be at times, so thank you for that advice. Do you think trying what Evan mentioned above is even worth trying by hand? Or do you really feel dual action polisher is the only real solution? I'll probably start savin' for the real polisher anyway...not because the DAPS will take time, but for the reasons mentioned above.. Besides, then I'll feel more obligated to use it on continuing to maintain my car afterwards. Thanks again!
            If Your going to get the Polisher someday, the DAPS will kinda be half wasted money. I would use the money for some pads instead when you get Polisher. I think attempting by hand will leave you sore, tired and unsatisfied, but you can try. Megs designed the DAPS for drills, so its likely the worst that can happen is it doesn't do anything productive.
            2018 Acura RLX Tech - Majestic Black Pearl

Comment

You should invest in a DA and the Meg's microfiber starter system. That would get rid of those swirls. Evan's given you some good advice. If you don't want to spend the money on the meguiars DA you can get one from harbor freight which seems to be getting good reviews on autogrek.
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

@Evan: Sounds great, I'll be sure to add clay to the list! I've seen great results on cars that really needed it, so I'll be interested to see what it can do for mine.

@Stephan: Yeah, I pretty much feel the same way about investing in the DAPS.. Half of me says to give it a shot, but if it didn't work I'd be kicking myself that I didn't put that money towards a real DA polisher.

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                  You should invest in a DA and the Meg's microfiber starter system. That would get rid of those swirls. Evan's given you some good advice. If you don't want to spend the money on the meguiars DA you can get one from harbor freight which seems to be getting good reviews on autogrek.
                  Yeah, looking at the microfiber starter system on meguiar's website and it's saying "Swirl-free defect removal... guaranteed!"....now that's tempting. They're also selling it on amazon for ~$70. Will highly consider this as an option as well once I have a DA.

Comment

Autogeek is having a sale through friday if you decide to pick up a DA and microfiber system.

15% off no exclusions till Friday ONLY!!!! Also receive a Free Ivan Karstuff Bobble Head on orders over \. To receive the Bobble Head please put a n
                    99 Grand Prix
                    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Everyone gave excellent advice and allow me to add if I may.
                      You certain want to go with UC considering you will be working by hand.
                      Start with a foam applicator and you will need to put some elbow grease to it. Working by hand is more difficult as a DA will distribute pressure evenly. While by hand, you will need to be mindful of that or there is a potential you might not end up with the results you are hoping for.

Read the following thread before proceeding.

If your paint is soft, UC can leave some hazing in which case you want to follow up with UP to clean that up.

Should really invest in a DA because not only is it for paint correction, but you can use a DA to clay and to wax and it will make the job much easier.
                      When I first started, I did a quarter of my hood by hand and gave up. Picked up a DA the next day.
                      2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Comment

WELCOME TO MOL!

I'm going to reiterate what a few have said already.

GET A DA.

You obviously LOVE your car and are defiantly CAR CRAZY like the rest of us here.

The DAPS aka "drill DA" works fine with any drill that has over 1800 RPMS. It has the same mechanism as a
                        "real DA" and works great, smaller pad, 4", rather then a 5.5 or 6" pad that a DA has. so your work area is smaller and it will take just a little longer to compleat the job.

Since you have a black car, you love and you want it to look it's best then I strongly advise getting a G110 and the DAMF System.
                        For a few 100 bucks you have the tools to make that "ugly" duckling look like the Beautiful Swan that's under all those scratches. With very little effort and knowledge on your part.
                        Meguiar's made this system just for people like you and your car.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');