• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1 Step Above Ultimate Compound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 Step Above Ultimate Compound

Hello All,

I'm looking for something stronger (more abrasive) than UC to remove the light swirls and scratches from my White GTI. I'm using a DA and any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Frank
    --
    Frank Kecseti
    Detailing Hobbyist

Re: 1 Step Above Ultimate Compound

Meguiars 105, or Meguiars DAMF correction system.

Comment

RPPM: I'm not gonna lie, 105 kind of scares me. Do you have any recommendations or tips on using it (properly)?
      --
      Frank Kecseti
      Detailing Hobbyist

Comment

I would recommend Meguiars Dual Action Microfiber correction kit. It is almost foolproof, and will easily take out your light swirls and scratches. Get the entire kit - 5.5" cutting pads and 5.5" finishing pads, W67-DA backing plate, 16 oz D300 Compound and 16 oz D301 Finishing wax. Just great results in two easy steps. It really doesn't get better or easier than this for a hobbyist.

Comment

Agreed with RPPM.

If you're on a budget, it would be cheaper to just get a small bottle of M105 and see how that works out using the tools / pads you have.

Why are you scared of M105? Sure some people have dusting issues with it, but that can usually be fixed by adjusting your technique. Nothing to be scared of...
          Originally posted by Blueline
          I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Fully agree, use 105 with Orange pad.

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
            Agreed with RPPM.

If you're on a budget, it would be cheaper to just get a small bottle of M105 and see how that works out using the tools / pads you have.

Why are you scared of M105? Sure some people have dusting issues with it, but that can usually be fixed by adjusting your technique. Nothing to be scared of...

Comment

The cheapest way I have found is to buy 32oz of M100, D300 or M105 from sources like Amazon.
              They offer free shipping on orders over $25.
              Dennis
              Nissan Fuga | 日產 風雅 | 日産 フーガ

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
                Agreed with RPPM.

Davey,
                Two things "scare" me about the M105:
                1: The giant red arrow on the left hand side of the package. It's awfully intimidating to me, because I'm just branching out into the pro line.
                2: The knowledge that it's in the "Professional Line" and the fact that I know I'm not a professional.

I do agree with RPPM, being that I am on a slight budget, (I just got scolded by the misses for my recent microfiber towel order) I think I'm going to go for a bottle of M105 and work my way up from there.
                --
                Frank Kecseti
                Detailing Hobbyist

Comment

Also,

Is there anything special, as far as using M105, that I need to be cautious of. I know you mentioned dusting...
                  --
                  Frank Kecseti
                  Detailing Hobbyist

Comment

Look up the Kevin Brown Method (KBM) where you prime the pad. Others have had success where they do their section passes, and then mist the pad with some water and begin the section passes again. This takes away the dusting and increases the working time.

What kind of pad and machine are you using for the UC? What about arm speed and downward pressure? Slow (think 1" per second) movement combined with steady downward pressure, speed 5 on your DA with either a polshing pad or light cutting pad and UC should be able to make a noticeable difference. Work smaller 2'x2' area, and over lap passes in a cross hatch pattern. Make all your passes up then down, followed by left then back to the right. You want the backing plate and pad to keep rotataing, so easiest way is to apply pressure until it stops spinning, then lighten up your pressure until rotating begins again.

Comment

RPPM: THANK YOU SO MUCH! This is fantastic information and a HUGE help. I'm currently using the Harbor Freight 6" DA Polisher with Hex-Logic Pads from Chemical Guys.

I'm going to try this out in the coming days and I'll be sure to let you know how it went.
                      --
                      Frank Kecseti
                      Detailing Hobbyist

Comment

Originally posted by BrandIdeator View Post
                        Hello All,

I'm looking for something stronger (more abrasive) than UC to remove the light swirls and scratches from my White GTI. I'm using a DA and any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
                        Frank

UC should work great for what you are needing it to do, it's really very close to 105 so the pads you are using and or technique will matter.

Take it slow and set the DA to 5 with a polishing pad and it should work great, if not them move to a slightly more aggressive pad.

Just make sure you are using enough down pressure then lighten up for a last few passes.

Follow up with UP with a polishing pad after.

Comment

One other thing about M105 it can dry/cake up quickly. If you searched for the Kevin Brown method mentioned above you'll read about it. I used M105 on a orange Lake Country pad with a cheapo DA the very first time I ever touched a car with a machine or actually even the first time I ever touched a car with a polish, it was frustrating to work with but I managed and was pretty happy with the results. Of course I followed up with M205 on a white pad which maybe mitigated any problems I might have unknowingly had with the M105. I have heard of people mixing a couple drops of Ultimate Compound on a pad with M105 to suppress the drying and caking and what I've tried is a very very light mist of baby oil on the pad prior to even priming the pad and it helped big time.

I wonder what color hex logic pad you are using with the Ult Comp? I am a bit surprised you have such bad scratches/swirls that Ult Comp can't get them out.

Also just remembered... pad size can play a huge roll in cutting abilities especially using something like the Harbor Freight DA. A 5.5" pad will get a good bit more bite that trying to use a 6.5" pad.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');