• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DA questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DA questions

I have been readin a bit and watching you tube etc... and have never really detailed a car or even waxed one by hand.I have a 1970 mustang mach one that I had sanded and then polished and it was in very bad shape.I am contemplating taking it back in the spring to have more of the scratches taken out and polished some more OR buy a economical DA like the one from HF and then buy the needed pads and products and do it myself.I am very handy with tools and very particular and good at following directions.I have watched all the 5 parts of the Junkman2000 you tube vids on novice usinga DA and see that it does not look all that bad.I figure if i could remove the rest of the small shallow scratches myself and then use use the DA for polishing and waxing then I would have the pride of doing it myself and have a tool i could use for upkeep of the paint.Am i dreaming or should the DA stuff and polishing be something people with more experience should handle.I feel even after the sanding that there is a decent amount of clear on the car an The guy that did the work said the clear was soft.
    Thanks guys , This is my 1st post.

Re: DA questions

Some pictures might help people see what would need done.

Is this a repaint? How much sanding was done? Any paint thickness readings?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

It was painted 20 years ago and repaint was not it the budget.Everyone that sees it loves the paint but I know there are some more scratches that will come out and some swirls in the clear from what I think is a clogged up pad.Not sure on how much sanding was done and sorry no paint thickness readings.I doubt my guy even had the tool for that.

Comment

Repainted in '93? It probably is, but are you SURE it's a bc/cc job?

I don't think you have anything to fret over trying to DA polish the car yourself. Watch even more videos and read even more threads, and just go at it with a mellow combination to begin with. It's really pretty hard to damage paint with a DA as long as you're keeping everything clean.
        Brandon
        Custom Cleaning Concepts, LLC
        (435) 249-4CCC (4222)
        "When you want your ride as clean as can be, you need to call CCC!"

Comment

It is what the guy called a try stage, metallic, color and clear .It is candy apple red but looks more like brandywine to me.Either way it is clear coat.I really think I could get some more of the fine scratches out.There are some pigtails in the clear but i will leave them for the guy at the detail shop to fix.I think he had something on his polisher when he polished out the car.I am not blaming him and we are cool.i just figure if i could do it,,,,like many thing you can do just as good of a job by yourself becuse your time is cheap and it is your own baby..

Actually the car could have been painted in the 80's candy paints were popular then.I will see about some close ups after the next wash and dry.
          How do I add pictures ?

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');