• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DA polisher/cutting pad to level touchup paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DA polisher/cutting pad to level touchup paint

My wife's Mazda MPV painted bumper has a spot where the paint was scratched off when someone swiped it in a parking lot.
    I applied touch up paint but unfortunately the scratch is the size of a quarter....you can tell there was damage there as the painted spot does not look smooth.

I was thinking can I use my DA with a cutting pad to flatten and smooth out the paint once it's cured? Or do I need to get some wet sanding going then clean up with my DA?
    "STRIFE" aka Phil
    2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (IP/ aka White) the Toy
    2011 Subaru Impreza (SWP/ aka White) the DD
    2017 Subaru Forester (CWP/ aka White) Wifey's

Re: DA polisher/cutting pad to level touchup paint

Sandpaper would make this job easier. You could do it gently with 3,000 grit (either wet or damp sanding) and remove sanding marks/ restore gloss.

Comment

Sandpaper...
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Ok, so apply the paint via brush, let dry then straight to 3000grit. I was thinking 1000 or 1500 then to 2000...then 3000.
        Then clean up with my DA.
        Then repeat process with clear coat??
        I am debating on what to buy 3" Unigrit sanding discs, or the Unigrit sheets Meguiars sells or the parent company's 3M Wetordry sheets...advice ?
        "STRIFE" aka Phil

Comment

You'll be working on a small area so any kind of sanding media is good: paper, block or disc. On bigger areas I like damp-sanding, turning my G110v2 into sander (speed 3-4). Some people use toothpicks to apply the paint/ clear from correction kit for better control.

The process you described above is correct: apply paint, let it dry, sand, apply clear, let it dry, sand, polish. If you feel like 3,000 grit is slow you could step up to more aggressive media, like 2,000. I don't think you'll need 1,000 or 1,500 on such small area.

Comment

OK, thanks Greg.......just ordered some 3" Unigrit sanding discs from ADS
            "STRIFE" aka Phil

Comment

Get a Uni Block. nice and flat.
              I start with 800 and work up from there.
              After sanding, you can get those sanding marks out with a DA and Micro Fiber Disks. They have almost the same amout of cutting action as a Wool pad.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');