Xtra Cut Microfiber Discs - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: Xtra Cut Microfiber Discs

          
  1. #11
    Registered Member jankerson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    160
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Xtra Cut Microfiber Discs

    Thinking about how M105 would work on those.

  2. #12
    Corvette Crazy Detailer RDVT4ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Yorba Linda, Ca
    Posts
    1,093
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Xtra Cut Microfiber Discs

    Mike,
    I assume this pad will also generate a lot more heat and folks trying this for the first time should be aware of that.
    -Bob
    NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

    "All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

  3. #13
    Meguiar's Nutty detailer STRIFE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    1,218
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: Xtra Cut Microfiber Discs

    Sounds like these pads are designed to cut faster, not necessarily cut more than the original cutting pads....so just a time saver for the pro detailers?
    Will these be available in 3" versions...seems to make sense?
    "STRIFE" aka Phil
    2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (IP/ aka White) the Toy
    2011 Subaru Impreza (SWP/ aka White) the DD
    2017 Subaru Forester (CWP/ aka White) Wifey's

  4. #14
    CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    85
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Xtra Cut Microfiber Discs

    Quote Originally Posted by RDVT4ME View Post
    Mike,
    I assume this pad will also generate a lot more heat and folks trying this for the first time should be aware of that.
    Agreed; I also wonder about delamination issues due to heat, and the possibility of welding the pad to the backing plate -- especially if they are used with a non-Meguiar's plate (e.g. Rupes polishers).

    Interesting concept though, might even allow for tuning performance by adding one or more sanding interface pads between this and the backing plate.
    Charlie
    Automotive Appearance Specialist - Serving Greater Lansing, Michigan

  5. #15
    Sr. Global Product & Training Spec Michael Stoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    21,405
    Rep Power
    1140

    Re: Xtra Cut Microfiber Discs

    More cut vs faster cut is sort of a matter of semantics, isn't it?

    As to the issue of potential heat, yes, there can be more and this is definitely taking the aggressiveness of the DA buffer up yet another notch. But as long as you're not leaning on the darn things, we aren't really seeing any more heat at the backing plate/pad interface than we do with the red foamed cutting discs.

    Now, as we all know, the more the aggressiveness goes up, the more safety comes down - at least to some degree. So, yes, you'll want to be a bit more cautious on sharp body creases and older, thinner paint. As with everything else in this process, common sense goes a long way. Charles, you bring up a very interesting and astute point - having played with these pads a fair bit (and they do indeed cut like crazy on very hard paint) with an without a foam interface pad between it and the backing plate, I can tell you that you can indeed do a bit of "tuning" if you so desire. You will, however, notice an immediate reduction in cut by placing an interface pad into the mix.
    Michael Stoops
    Senior Global Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Inc.

    Remember, this hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need therapy.

  6. #16
    Sr. Global Product & Training Spec Michael Stoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    21,405
    Rep Power
    1140

    Re: Xtra Cut Microfiber Discs

    Quote Originally Posted by jankerson View Post
    Thinking about how M105 would work on those.
    No need to hide, we know people love M105, M101 and M100 on microfiber pads. And, yes, M100 is just a defect cutting demon on these.
    Michael Stoops
    Senior Global Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Inc.

    Remember, this hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need therapy.

  7. #17
    Registered Member Meticulous-Detail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Stang Island, NY
    Posts
    791
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Xtra Cut Microfiber Discs

    Good stuff, can't wait to try these out.

    http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
    "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"



  8. #18
    Mr Sparkle davey g-force's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    4,313
    Rep Power
    66

    Re: Xtra Cut Microfiber Discs

    Brilliant! These will be great when things need to get really aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

  9. #19
    CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    85
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Xtra Cut Microfiber Discs

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stoops View Post
    More cut vs faster cut is sort of a matter of semantics, isn't it?

    As to the issue of potential heat, yes, there can be more and this is definitely taking the aggressiveness of the DA buffer up yet another notch. But as long as you're not leaning on the darn things, we aren't really seeing any more heat at the backing plate/pad interface than we do with the red foamed cutting discs.

    Now, as we all know, the more the aggressiveness goes up, the more safety comes down - at least to some degree. So, yes, you'll want to be a bit more cautious on sharp body creases and older, thinner paint. As with everything else in this process, common sense goes a long way. Charles, you bring up a very interesting and astute point - having played with these pads a fair bit (and they do indeed cut like crazy on very hard paint) with an without a foam interface pad between it and the backing plate, I can tell you that you can indeed do a bit of "tuning" if you so desire. You will, however, notice an immediate reduction in cut by placing an interface pad into the mix.
    That's sort of what I was thinking/hoping; with the variety of interface pads available from different sources made of different materials, it introduces a new variable to dial in cutting ability -- potentially even making them less aggressive than the MF finishing pads if the interface is thick and soft enough. Might even make the regular MF cutting and finishing pads unnecessary, if alternative interfaces work as well as I'm envisioning. Definitely something I'll be playing with as soon as I can get my hands on a few of these pads.
    Charlie
    Automotive Appearance Specialist - Serving Greater Lansing, Michigan

  10. #20
    Registered Member jankerson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    160
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Xtra Cut Microfiber Discs

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stoops View Post
    No need to hide, we know people love M105, M101 and M100 on microfiber pads. And, yes, M100 is just a defect cutting demon on these.
    Have the 5" Pro backing plate and some MF Cutting Discs coming to see how they work for me, haven't tried the MF discs yet, will be using M105 with them.

    But if they bridge the gap between the DA and rotary like they are supposed to I am sure I will be happy.

    I do miss my rotary and wool pads......

    I do want to get that Light Weight Flex rotary soon though.....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Which discs for new clear ?
    By adrynalinjunkie in forum Sanding Automotive Paint - Hand/Machine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Aug 8th, 2012, 08:02 AM
  2. What pad cleaner recommand for DA Microfiber Cutting/Polishing Discs ?
    By brianych in forum Meguiar's Professional Lines - Mirror Glaze, Detailer, PRO Hybrid Ceramic & Other
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 14th, 2012, 12:47 PM
  3. DA Microfiber Discs Have a Storied Past...
    By Kevin Brown in forum The Break Room
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Jul 18th, 2011, 05:13 AM
  4. D/A Microfiber Discs & Polishing
    By DetailArtist in forum Marine/RV - Boats, Motorhomes, Etc.
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Apr 4th, 2011, 06:56 AM
  5. Ungrit Sanding Discs & Finishing Discs
    By Michael Stoops in forum Meguiar's 2010 New Products
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Apr 14th, 2010, 06:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •