• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Liquid Wax section by section application

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate Liquid Wax section by section application

I've used Ultimate Liquid Wax pretty much exclusively since it was introduced. Applied it for the first time on my truck using the new recommended section by section application method. I was using a pc for the application. It took me about 20 minutes longer using this method than applying wax to the whole truck and the buffing it off. Sort of reminds me of the "good (?) old days" when I used #16. Sure hope this stuff is as good as it's claimed to be. Just sayin'.

Re: Ultimate Liquid Wax section by section application

I think you can stretch it farther than that.

When I do it I generally do the hood and one side then go back and buff it off, then do the other side the back and the roof.

The just in general though, think around 5 to 10 mins then go back and buff off what you did.

That could vary though depending on temperature etc.

Comment

It says you can use either method (section by section or entire car) in this intro link:

If you don't notice the difference, do the whole car and relax for 20 minutes observing your effort.
      2018 Acura RLX Tech - Majestic Black Pearl

Comment

I apply to the whole car, then buff off with a damp cloth then a dry one.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

The only directions on a new bottle: "…For best results, apply in the shade to a clean cool surface one section at a time, allowing 3-5 minutes before removing Ultimate Liquid Wax…" These directions are for both hand and pc application. No other options are mentioned. Of course detailers will come up with something that works for them. Not really a big deal. I do like the product.

Comment

Originally posted by tguil View Post
            The only directions on a new bottle: "…For best results, apply in the shade to a clean cool surface one section at a time, allowing 3-5 minutes before removing Ultimate Liquid Wax…" These directions are for both hand and pc application. No other options are mentioned. Of course detailers will come up with something that works for them. Not really a big deal. I do like the product.

You can apply it in direct sun also, I know because I did it just to see if i could and it worked great.

Not that I would do it all the time, but it's good to know that one doesn't have to worry about the sun coming out etc.

Shade or inside is always best though.

If applying by machine go over each section 3 or 4 times spreading it out really thin, a little goes a very long way and you can cover the cars faster too.

Comment

Dug out an old bottle. The directions state that application is best on a cool surface in the shade, but that a warm surface in the sun is OK if shade in not available. They further state that application should be made to the whole vehicle either by hand or with a PC making sure that you get complete coverage. Then you let the product dry to a haze and remove with a microfiber cloth. Guess that didn't work for lots of folks. In the past I applied it in this manner. The product was sometimes a bit hard to remove but I never had problems with streaking. But then, my trucks are white and I might not have noticed it. I find that Ultimate Liquid wax can be removed more easily when it is applied section by section. Wonder how many other "early adopters" of this product are like me and never have bothered to read the new directions. Whatever, it's a good product.

Oh, one other thing. I apply Ultimate using a polishing pad making numerous passes over each section much like I would apply a polish. I feel that by using the polishing pad I get a little bit of cleaning action from the process. Been doing this for years with waxes and sealants. A little bit of vigor is always good, right?

Comment

Dug out an old bottle. The directions state that application is best on a cool surface in the shade, but that a warm surface in the sun is OK if shade in not available. They further state that application should be made to the whole vehicle either by hand or with a PC making sure that you get complete coverage. Then you let the product dry to a haze and remove with a microfiber cloth. Guess that didn't work for lots of folks. In the past I applied it in this manner. The product was sometimes a bit hard to remove but I never had problems with streaking. But then, my trucks are white and I might not have noticed it. I find that Ultimate Liquid wax can be removed more easily when it is applied section by section. Wonder how many other "early adopters" of this product are like me and never have bothered to read the new directions. Whatever, it's a good product.

Oh, one other thing. I apply Ultimate using a polishing pad making numerous passes over each section much like I would apply a polish. I feel that by using the polishing pad I get a little bit of cleaning action from the process. Been doing this for years with waxes and sealants. A little bit of vigor is always good, right?

Both of mine are white also, truck and Jeep.

You can use a polishing pad, don't see how it would hurt anything, but UW doesn't have any cleaners in it.

But as long as it's applied thin and even it works great as they said it would.

Comment

This is when I would have streaking. Somewhere I have a photo of trying to create streaking and over working causes streaking for me. I primarily use liquid Ultimate Wax, as I seek longevity, and often I use a soft 4" Lake Country pad on a Porter-Cable running at speed 3 and I go about as fast as I can to lay down a thin layer. Wipe off in 3 - 5 minutes or an hour later or overnight. Apply a second coat 12 - 24 hours later.

Pretty rare I get streaking, but I can get it on purpose by 1) over working or 2) applying too thick, especially by hand. Most of the cars I do are black or dark colored, pretty rare I do a white car or truck. So if I get streaking, I should see it.

I'll go dig up the photo of streaking I've done on purpose. Be back in a day or so....

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  David

Comment

Originally posted by wifpd4 View Post
                    This is when I would have streaking. Somewhere I have a photo of trying to create streaking and over working causes streaking for me. I primarily use liquid Ultimate Wax, as I seek longevity, and often I use a soft 4" Lake Country pad on a Porter-Cable running at speed 3 and I go about as fast as I can to lay down a thin layer. Wipe off in 3 - 5 minutes or an hour later or overnight. Apply a second coat 12 - 24 hours later.

Pretty rare I get streaking, but I can get it on purpose by 1) over working or 2) applying too thick, especially by hand. Most of the cars I do are black or dark colored, pretty rare I do a white car or truck. So if I get streaking, I should see it.

I'll go dig up the photo of streaking I've done on purpose. Be back in a day or so....

I take my time going over it 3 times per section making sure I get really good even thin coverage.

Comment

You know what….I'd expect Meguiar's to make sure that this product is streak proof no matter how it is applied. It's one of their Consumer Line products and needs to be simple to use.

Comment

You know what….I'd expect Meguiar's to make sure that this product is streak proof no matter how it is applied. It's one of their Consumer Line products and needs to be simple to use.
                        And I believe in the latest formulation of the product, is nearly, if not, streak proof. With so many substrates, different preparation methods and countless methods of application the product is as streak proof as possible. Mr. Stoops will correct me if I'm too far off base. He does have a way of stating things much more eloquently and authoritatively.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        David

Comment

Originally posted by wifpd4 View Post
                          And I believe in the latest formulation of the product, is nearly, if not, streak proof. With so many substrates, different preparation methods and countless methods of application the product is as streak proof as possible. Mr. Stoops will correct me if I'm too far off base. He does have a way of stating things much more eloquently and authoritatively.

I agree ULW is excellent.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');