• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best product to protect the paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best product to protect the paint

On my Corvair I use Ultimate Liquid, since I want a real nice shine. And I don't let anyone else wash it.

But my wife has a 2009 Outlander with a nice Pearl White paint. She is a fanatic about superficial clean. She will hose down the car and let it air dry, or wash it dish detergent or whatever she finds first, letting it air dry. She can't reach the roof, so It only gets washed when I do it.

We have a very high mineral content in the water, with shower heads that require soaking in vinegar every month.

Her car is in need of a good polishing, but what is the best product to resist the dish detergent and lead to the water running off better before spotting? It is too big to be polishing ever couple of months.
    Richard's Car Restoration
    How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Re: Best product to protect the paint

The best bet from the Meguiar's line up is Ultimate Wax. I have had a very good experience with this product. I will last through many washes and for a very long amount of time, giving a very clean and sharp look to the paint. However, the most effective route to keeping the car looking better is to not wash so aggressively. Buy her a bottle of good quality mild shampoo (Meg's Hyper Wash, Shampoo Plus, Gold Class) that will not spot up the paint, and is gentle on the sealant you have on. No product will be magical though, you have to take the basic steps to prevent these issues such as taking a careful approach to the washing and drying process.

But if you just can't convince her to stop letting water sit up on the car to dry, my personal experience with many different waxes and sealants has shown that, Meg's Ultimate, Sonax Polymer Net Shield, and DP Poli-Seal all sheet water exceptionally well. These should lessen the amount of water sitting on the car to spot up.

Griffith Hawk

Comment

I would first of all get her a car wash soap. You should not be using dish washing soap on the car. Second of all you should inform her to not let water sit on the car especially with a high mineral content. The car will end up with etched water spots. Ultimate wax is the longest lasting wax offered by meguiars.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Get your wife an inexpensive leaf blower to dry the car off with.

Tell her it's a blow dryer for her car.
        2018 Acura RLX Tech - Majestic Black Pearl

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
          I would first of all get her a car wash soap. You should not be using dish washing soap on the car. Second of all you should inform her to not let water sit on the car especially with a high mineral content. The car will end up with etched water spots. Ultimate wax is the longest lasting wax offered by meguiars.
          We have the car shampoo, she just doesn't believe it makes a difference, and grabs the first thing she finds in spite of what I tell her. And although she complains about the water spots on the windows and I have to clean them, she thinks dirt sitting on it is worse than minerals.

I've been meaning to get a cord for the blower. We have no leaves, but I have one for starting the charcoal. So the Ultimate is the most resistant?

Comment

Ultimate Liquid Wax is a sealant not a wax and is the longest lasting protection Megs has. I would also pick up some Ultimate Quick Wax. Explain that dish wash soap will remove any wax or protection. leave a film and dry out all the rubber and plastic which in turn will cost big bucks to repair, replace and repaint.

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
            "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

ULW is a long lasting sealant, but the longest lasting Meg's has. That would be D156.
              But use what you can get.
              What is available to you?

The more important thing here is your wife's horrible washing technique. Ask her if she thinks professional detailers wash cars like she does.
              I don't think Bugatti would have like that done to there $2,200,000 Veyron so don't do that to your car either.
              People don't know how to take care of there cars and need to be taught Car Care by pros.

Get proper soap, and washing tools. Ie: a step ladder so she can wash the whole car.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

I know her logic is flawed. When I get home from a trip in the mud/dirt mountains (450 miles) she wants to spray it off. I insist on waiting till I can wash it properly. I win with my cars, but she disagrees and does what she wants with hers.

I the new house I'm going to build a small cabinet in the garage for the car cleaning products.

Comment

Get some Waterless Wash in her hands! At least she'll actually be washing it on the side of the road.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Originally posted by Please Wash Me Detailing View Post
                    ULW is a long lasting sealant, but the longest lasting Meg's has. That would be D156.
                    But use what you can get.
                    What is available to you?

The more important thing here is your wife's horrible washing technique. Ask her if she thinks professional detailers wash cars like she does.
                    I don't think Bugatti would have like that done to there $2,200,000 Veyron so don't do that to your car either.
                    People don't know how to take care of there cars and need to be taught Car Care by pros.

Get proper soap, and washing tools. Ie: a step ladder so she can wash the whole car.
                    Mario, D156 lasts longer then ULW?

Comment

What is available is whatever I smuggle in my luggage.

Comment

Originally posted by Meticulous-Detail View Post
                        Mario, D156 lasts longer then ULW?
                        No way.

D156 is very durable for a spray wax, but doesn't compare to the durability of ULW IME.
                        Originally posted by Blueline
                        I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

D156 is Meg's most durable wax they make.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

IME D156 last 3-4 weeks, UPW lasts 4-5 months. I use D156 on all 3 of my DD's and never had it last more then 4 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Meticulous-Detail View Post
                              IME D156 last 3-4 weeks, UPW lasts 4-5 months. I use D156 on all 3 of my DD's and never had it last more then 4 weeks.
                              Yep, I agree.

Mario, where are you getting your information?
                              Originally posted by Blueline
                              I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');